Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Photographing meals - intellectual property theft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...property.shtml

If I have a long tasting menu dinner I will take pics from my iPhone so that I remember everything the next day, especially if I'm gong to write a review of the meal. Never would have crossed my mind that some would frown upon it.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Interesting. These guys would really dislike Japan. A large portion of Japanese Facebook and Instagram pics are food. They love photographing food here.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
How is photographing food that you paid for and are about to consume considered theft? I mean, unless you know the exact ingredients in the exact quantities how could you possibly reproduce it exactly?

The idea is pathetic.

Why you would want to photograph food is a different topic
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:37 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

As someone who has an Instagram account full of pictures of mouth-watering food, I like to think of it a free publicity for the restaurant/chef. Theft? Nope.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:52 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Interesting. These guys would really dislike Japan. A large portion of Japanese Facebook and Instagram pics are food. They love photographing food here.
Have you noticed chefs bark at foreigners for taking photos in Japan? There are plenty of restaurants where the chef's holier-than-thou reputation precedes him, which would include getting disgruntled for whatever reason with non-Japanese speakers.

In a similar vein, at a few restaurants in China, my Chinese counterparts took plenty of photos of their meals, but when I did it I suddenly entered scorn city.

Regardless of these instances, I've had more success overseas than with UA...
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Why you would want to photograph food is a different topic
The "What are you eating today" thread would be useless without it

Some day I will learn how to upload pictures in FT. I know it's easy
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I wouldn't consider it theft. A photograph might give some indication of ingredients, but would tell a very incomplete story. Not to mention it wouldn't give you much indication about the cooking time and temperature.

Hard to believe anyone would get worked up about this, but to each his own.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Methinks that none of these chefs have gone to law school.

Photographing a meal is no more intellectual property theft than taking a picture of a model or of a building.

Sure, it's the chef's prerogative to say, "No photos, please." And I believe it's unethical for a chef to copy a dish that is novel or unique and pass it off as his own. But 99.9% of cooking is derivative of cooking that came before it. If a chef thinks that photographing a meal is intellectual property theft, then that chef is also guilty of "stealing" from every chef who came before him/her and cooked remotely similar items.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:22 pm

I was a chef for a long time. I never had a problem with people photographing my dishes ( or giving out recipes for that matter.) People may have been inspired by the dish but it is impossible to exactly recreate a dish from a picture.
I have done it myself, when I was traveling and had a particularly interesting dish. I do think its a little weird as a diner when someone at a nearby table repeatedly takes pictures of the bread basket, their beverage and everything else that crosses the table.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:26 pm

They should stick to cooking instead of what is deemed intellectual property. After all, very few places protect celebrities from having paparazzi hound them for pictures. Perhaps those chefs should stop making their dishes look so great or like such a work of art, because if they looked ordinary, no one would take pictures of them.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:55 pm

------

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
What are they trying to hide?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by beckoa
What are they trying to hide?
Nothing new here, nothing to hide, move along, please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10tz5jGK1w

Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
Nothing new here, nothing to hide, move along, please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10tz5jGK1w

I washed dishes when I was younger at a hole in the wall. Absolutely disgusting and the public is way better off not knowing what happens in the kitchen. Maybe times have changed for the better. That was a long time ago
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
These chefs should have their food photographed after it has just left the digestive tract. I'd probably have a caption such as "The chef prohibited photography prior to consumption of the food, so this is the best photographic representative example of what it looked like."

That should have people waiting in line for these chefs' self important food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.