Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favourite Chinese Foods?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I liked Martin Yan from his show (PBS?) in the late 80’s to 90’s. He’s distinctive, but not annoying like Gordon Ramsey, Emeril, etc.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Sorry to interrupt your discussion guys, but the thread is about 'Favourite Chinese Foods'. A discussion on Favourite Chinese Chefs might merit another thread

Last edited by onobond; Jul 3, 2020 at 10:52 pm Reason: Corrected typo to adhere to thread title
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I liked Martin Yan from his show (PBS?) in the late 80’s to 90’s. He’s distinctive, but not annoying like Gordon Ramsey, Emeril, etc.
You could also understand what he was saying since every 3rd word wasn't bleeped out (Ramsey) or "Bam!" (Emeril). Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but I prefer my TV cooking shows at a pace and with g-rated language so I can follow along and learn something I could make myself, or admire something I never have any hope of making (Julia Child), or my doctor won't let me make (Garten).
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by onobond
Sorry to interrupt your discussion guys, but the thread is about 'Favorite Chinese Foods'. A discussion on Favourite Chinese Chefs might merit another thread
So which dishes from Panda Express do you like the most?
corky likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:10 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Sorry to interrupt your discussion guys, but the thread is about 'Favorite Chinese Foods'. A discussion on Favourite Chinese Chefs might merit another thread
Nah... it's a US-based travel forum; there's no "u" in favorite
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
plus Chinese food will always just be a cooking rarity on tv in USA.

Originally Posted by corky
I always found him SO annoying.
i never saw enough to feel that way.

time to file a report.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You could also understand what he was saying since every 3rd word wasn't bleeped out (Ramsey) or "Bam!" (Emeril). Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but I prefer my TV cooking shows at a pace and with g-rated language so I can follow along and learn something I could make myself, or admire something I never have any hope of making (Julia Child), or my doctor won't let me make (Garten).
you can cook anything you like. Trust me!

Originally Posted by garykung
my spouse loves their orange chicken. It’s a deep craving. I have to go to that chinese carryout by Safeway and just get their orange chicken and other Chinese dishes for ourselves. As I love to say, I haven’t bought Chinese carryout since March 13. I’ve tried cooking some things but it’s just not the same. This is a mega huge gap.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
any Colour you like
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gaobest
my spouse loves their orange chicken. It’s a deep craving. I have to go to that chinese carryout by Safeway and just get their orange chicken and other Chinese dishes for ourselves. As I love to say, I haven’t bought Chinese carryout since March 13. I’ve tried cooking some things but it’s just not the same. This is a mega huge gap.
Even I am an ethnic Chinese, I am amazed how tasty it is, although the dish is nowhere Chinese. It is always my primary selection for Panda Express.

FWIW - Panda Express isn't a bad place, given it costs around the same as McD, as well as better selections and value.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:19 pm

Even I am an ethnic Chinese, I am amazed how tasty it is, although the dish is nowhere Chinese. It is always my primary selection for Panda Express.

FWIW - Panda Express isn't a bad place, given it costs around the same as McD, as well as better selections and value.
Panda Express would be a big hit here in China, especially if they have a fast 外卖 system. The restaurants near my office either suck or are too pricey for lunch.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

panda is also owned or started by people of China descent. I’ll still start with that chinese carryout place with orange chicken and then can drive further to Panda Express (which isn’t far from the korean Kukje that I “discovered” in June). Always a winner.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Somewhat surprised to find the replies to my request for the thread discussion to return to the topic contained neither consent nor refutation

TBH, I was looking for an emoji to confirm this was written in jest, especially after you follow up with an other post:

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Please look at the spelling of the thread title again. I've corrected my typo, adding the missing "u" in the first favourite.

As per FT being a US-based forum, I might suggest looking at the menu for "Airlines and Mileage Programs", to find how much of FT activity is generated outside US. In fact, the largest airline board is BA, with 119.5 K threads, 2.6 M posts. The runner-up is also non-US , CA with 67.5 K / 1.3 M, and first on third place is the largest US airline, DL with 61.6 K / 1.5 M

Originally Posted by gaobest

<snip>
time to file a report.

<snip>
Please feel free to file a report...
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still tempted.

As per FT being a US-based forum, I might suggest looking at the menu for "Airlines and Mileage Programs", to find how much of FT activity is generated outside US. In fact, the largest airline board is BA, with 119.5 K threads, 2.6 M posts. The runner-up is also non-US , CA with 67.5 K / 1.3 M, and first on third place is the largest US airline, DL with 61.6 K / 1.5 M
Please feel free to file a report...
the BA forum is busiest because it yields more complaints than UAL. Ok so I have no idea what FT comprises but we know FT was started in USA and is now owned by IAC so yeah, we are us-based :-)
we are the best. That’s why people come here!!
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think like other cuisines, there are broad interpretations with Chinese cuisine - just because a dish did not originate in China, doesn't mean it is not "Chinese food". The same with Taiwanese food - there is a super popular Taiwanese fusion restaurant in the SGV that serves dishes like a Taiwanese fried chicken sandwich, or mapo tofu nachos - doesn't mean the food has no connection to its ethic origin.

Chinese-American and Chinese-Canadian cuisines are valid stand-alone interpretations of Chinese and Asian cooking - just because no one in China, Taiwan or Hong Kong regularly eats deep friend chicken balls in sweet and sour sauce, doesn't mean those dishes are somehow caricatures. Plenty of ethnic Chinese people in Canada eat that dish and enjoy it. Italian cuisine is another example of where emigrant interpretations broadened the scope of what is typical "Italian" food - for example, only tourists would hunt around Rome for a slice of ham and pineapple pizza. Bagels originated in eastern European Jewish communities, but while a bagel smothered in cream cheese with slices of smoked salmon is common in North American Jewish restaurants, you'd find it difficult to locate that dish in the villages and towns where the bagel was born.

So, like Pizza Hut, Panda Express has a role to play in interpreting immigrant cuisine and bringing these flavors and dishes to the masses.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let’s not even get into California and Philly rolls - they’re so rare that even people in japan can’t get them there. Actually considering that Japan has so much great foreign cuisine, why aren’t there places serving Americanized sushi? Someone make a franchise. Free idea. Enjoy the residuals!
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bocastephen
. Bagels originated in eastern European Jewish communities, but while a bagel smothered in cream cheese with slices of smoked salmon is common in North American Jewish restaurants, you'd find it difficult to locate that dish in the villages and towns where the bagel was born.
Um, bad example. Unlike other references in this thread, perhaps that is because the Jews fled or were removed and exterminated from the villages and towns where the bagel was born.

Back to sushi, one hasn't lived until one eats Americanized sushi in Viña del Mar (Chile) at the Sushi and Shawarma joint. I've lived, and have concluded that I'll never return.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I once had the opportunity to sample his food, cooked by himself, right in front of me. It was not my favo(u)rite Chinese food. In fact, I don't think I actually tasted it. I was in the studio audience of AM San Francisco, Yan was a guest, he cooked something, put it on a big plate, and they brought it to the audience to pass around so we could all sample it - yes, with one fork. 30-some years ago, still a cringe-worthy memory. "If Yan can have his own fork, why can't you?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.