Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favourite Chinese Foods?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Where do I start?

Northern Chinese - 锅包肉 (guo bao rou) Pork cutlets deep fried with sesame and sweetened vinegar sauce.

Sichuan - 麻辣火锅 (ma la huo guo) It has a deep frightening spicy look but you will discover that it is not too spicy, it is a deep resonating low burning heat.

Shanghai - 小龙包 (xiao long bao) It is dumplings that has lots of soup inside (just realized moondog beat me to it)

Shanghai - 上海毛蟹 (mao xie) Shanghai Hairy Crabs - only available one month of the year. The roe is amazing. Can set you back a few bucks but we try to go every year just to have some.

Guangdong - BBQ Pork, can't get enough of this stuff. Other places have variants but the Guangdong area got it right

Western - 刀稍面 (dao shao mien) It's Lan Zhou beef noodle soup except the noodles are hand shaved.

Xian - Muslim BBQ - Just amazing halal BBQ. I am sure it is available in other areas as well but the ones in Xian was the best.

Where I currently live, their local specialty is jellyfish. It has a very unique texture and it will be something I will crave for time to time.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Where do I start?

Northern Chinese - 锅包肉 (guo bao rou) Pork cutlets deep fried with sesame and sweetened vinegar sauce.

Sichuan - 麻辣火锅 (ma la huo guo) It has a deep frightening spicy look but you will discover that it is not too spicy, it is a deep resonating low burning heat.

Shanghai - 小龙包 (xiao long bao) It is dumplings that has lots of soup inside (just realized moondog beat me to it)

Shanghai - 上海毛蟹 (mao xie) Shanghai Hairy Crabs - only available one month of the year. The roe is amazing. Can set you back a few bucks but we try to go every year just to have some.

Guangdong - BBQ Pork, can't get enough of this stuff. Other places have variants but the Guangdong area got it right

Western - 刀稍面 (dao shao mien) It's Lan Zhou beef noodle soup except the noodles are hand shaved.

Xian - Muslim BBQ - Just amazing halal BBQ. I am sure it is available in other areas as well but the ones in Xian was the best.

Where I currently live, their local specialty is jellyfish. It has a very unique texture and it will be something I will crave for time to time.
Nice list.

I also love Xiao Long Bao. But I heard these originated in Taiwan not Shanghai? So why are they called Shanghai Dumplings? Regardless, they are delicious! I even have them in London these days!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
-Hainan Chicken Rice (technically invented in Singapore, I'm told)
Maybe thats what they like to think and like to tell people but for real Hainan Chicken Rice you need Hainan Chicken or are they also investing in Chicken Farms on Hainan now besides drug fields in Burma ? :P
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Nice list.

I also love Xiao Long Bao. But I heard these originated in Taiwan not Shanghai? So why are they called Shanghai Dumplings? Regardless, they are delicious! I even have them in London these days!
Who told you this?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My wife us Chinese, so she get her favorite
Chinese food every time she cooks, just like Mom made...

PF Chang is American Chinese food....not the real stuff...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Overseas Chinese restaurants including PF Chang serving "westernized" food can do things like Kung Pao Chicken, using little baby chili pepper, etc. & the no-so-secret KP Sauce. Some places will have trouble with your "Egg Foo(l) Young" with brown gravy, LOL.

You know you are eating good old comfort food when Beggar's Chicken is on the menu.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I like simple Sichuan food like dan dan mian or mapo tofu.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I do love me some carbolicious Hong Kong dim sum. Wish I had time to go into town on upcoming HKG connection.

That said, Sichuan or Hunan tend to be my favorites. Spicy. Mmm.

No interest in seeking out the "delicacies" that are usually outrageously expensive, typically flavorless and/or unpleasantly textured, often irresponsibly harvested, and eaten for status or "magical" reasons. I just see no need to partake (e.g., shark fin).

In general, with only a few exceptions, I'm willing to take a bite of pretty much anything presented to me. Seldom revolting, frequently turns out to be something truly delicious.

And another huge vote for xiao long bao. Aargh. Munchies.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
gua bao - 割包 - half fat/half lean with extra peanut powder

xiao long bao - but only prepared properly with thin skin

HK style dim sum - har gow, rice rolls with various fillings, gow choi gow (fried), and especially turnip cake

Niu rou mian - Taiwanese beef noodle soup (meiyou mian...no noodles for me)

肉羹 rou geng...a delicious thick, savory soup with pork, fish paste dumplings and cilantro to garnish
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:23 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

To those more familiar with Taiwanese regional cooking, can you recommend (non-麻辣) spicy dishes? How about a nice, soupy dessert that isn't mochi?

In other words, Taiwanese food is some of my least favorite. Nothing is worth looking at/smelling/passing by at the night markets, and whenever I've been on the island most (not all, because that would be stupid) of my meals were anything but Taiwanese.

However, there was one dish that stood out- although I don't know the name, it appeared to share the bread component of a mille-feuille with honey-glazed pork sandwiched in between the layers. Sound familiar?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Who told you this?
Din Tai Fung restaurant.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by satman40
PF Chang is American Chinese food....not the real stuff...
Not all the "real" stuff has to originate from China. Chinese food from HK, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore etc have just an equal claim to being authentic Chinese.

The Chinese diaspora stretches far and wide. The US is home to one of the largest overseas Chinese populations so one can argue that American Chinese food is a legitimate variation of Chinese food.

Besides PF Changs just tastes good
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by tide
Not all the "real" stuff has to originate from China. Chinese food from HK, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore etc have just an equal claim to being authentic Chinese.

The Chinese diaspora stretches far and wide. The US is home to one of the largest overseas Chinese populations so one can argue that American Chinese food is a legitimate variation of Chinese food.

Besides PF Changs just tastes good
I agree, but she still calls it Western Food, do not see what the fuss is about, we all like moms home cooking best...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Din Tai Fung restaurant.
Even DTF's own menu acknowledges that 南翔 was the birthplace of XLB, and this is the generally accepted belief. However, on occasion, I run into people from other parts of the Yangtze Delta (i.e. NOT Taiwan) who claim that their respective cities were the first to make them.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
XLB dumplings, obviously.
BBQ Pork/Goose/Duck

This thread needs pictures.
lhrsfo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.