Wiki Posts
Search

Airports & Chocolates

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Airports & Chocolates

Which airport duty free shops have folks discovered great chocolates for gift-giving? When I was a kid, my uncle gave me a flower-shaped chocolate while connecting through AMS. While it is difficult to find liquor-filled chocolate in the States, I have found them in the past at the SYD and LGW duty-free shops.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Airports & Chocolates

As you might imagine, Brussels Intl has a large selection, both in duty free and dedicated chocolate shops. Booze-filled, you name it! AMS still good too.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Airports & Chocolates

Zürich has a great Lindt & Sprüngli Shop. Great place
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Schipol in Amsterdam had the best overall run of duty free and gift shops I've seen, and a wide range of chocolates was one of the things I purchased (albeit not as gifts, other than to myself)
Old Oct 12, 2013, 5:30 am

Airports & Chocolates

ZRH can't be beat for duty free shopping for Chocolate
Old Oct 12, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Airports & Chocolates

+1 for ZRH
LHR and LGW: Cadbury
VIE: Mozart chocolate balls
SFO and LAX: See's and Ghirardelli
BNA: Goo Goo clusters
HKG: Dragon Beard Candy (though not chocolate, it's worth a mention)
Old Oct 12, 2013, 5:57 am

Airports & Chocolates

NRT - can't go wrong buying crazy flavored Kit Kats
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Brussels is overrun with corporate Chocolate shops masquerading as boutique, and they're what you'll tend to find at BRU. The chocolates are certainly head and shoulders above most all US chocolate, but still not the same as the true artisinal chocolates you'll find if you shop carefully at small shops in town.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NRT & HND (probably KIX & NGO also)

Shiroi Koibito Langue de Chat
http://www.ishiya.co.jp/sp/item/shiroi/
White chocolate sandwiched in cats tongue biscuits

For me they just have the edge over the Yoku Moku chocolate biscuits. Just. Mmmmm... Yoku Moku...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Brussels is overrun with corporate Chocolate shops masquerading as boutique, and they're what you'll tend to find at BRU. The chocolates are certainly head and shoulders above most all US chocolate, but still not the same as the true artisinal chocolates you'll find if you shop carefully at small shops in town.
+1. The problem is that all of these brands are available worldwide (thank you Nestle) so I never understand the point of the purchase.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Las Vegas: Ethel M. Yummy
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:22 pm

Airside chocolate is very expensive in Germany relative to real world German pricing. Fortunately, there are two Edeka and one Müller at MUC landside which are easy to reach on a layover. FRA has two grocery stores (the Rewe City is the better of the two, but neither are as convenient as the stores at MUC) The ordinary, run of the mill chocolate tends to be considered head and shoulders above American chocolate, but it's to us just ordinary. There are however great ranges of midrange chocolate including a good variety of alcohol filled ones.

And not on airport, but if near SZG then one can make a quick run across the border to the Reber factory where they have a kiosk onsite including factory seconds.

It's all relative as I've never found anything worthwhile at AMS or BRU for instance, yet some of you seem to rave about it.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Why shucks, I guess I'm just not as soffistercated as y'all Yuropeans, but I've found some of the Belgian brands such as Galler or Daskalides entirely sufficient to my airport needs. They're cheaper there than in the US, and they're not that easy to find here. And although I'm kind of surprised to hear that Laurent Gerbaud, Pierre Marcolin, et al aren't actually on the premises at BRU lovingly hand-crafting pralines, I'm afraid they're out of my price range, anyway.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:16 pm

I'm not above eating midrange chocolate (and will admit to having a Jeff de Bruges in front of me at the moment which is a hazard of having one down the road from my flat), but I just won't bother wasting calories on the really ordinary stuff.

And as someone mentioned upthread, a lot of what is sold in airports is pretty mediocre, found almost anywhere type of chocolate, especially in the duty free.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Definitely not SXM, the chocolate shop never opened before the morning AA MIA flight boarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.