Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutco and Rada Knives

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Cutco and Rada Knives

A friend so kindly passed my name on to one of her friends who sells Cutco knives. She did tell her that I'm probably not going to buy anything, but I guess they get paid per demo as well.

The friend originally said that she thought her friend sold Rada knives, so I checked out their website, as this was the first I'd heard of them. I'd be more inclined to purchase a Rada knife, I think, than a Cutco one, but really, we're quite happy with our collection of Henckels and Wusthof knives.

Does anyone have any experience with Rada or Cutco? Can anyone give me any reason I should really consider buying a Cutco knife or two?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:53 pm

I have one Cutco knife. It is adequate but overpriced.

There were several threads about kitchen knives in the past. One is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...revisited.html

On the basis of those threads I got my bride several Global knives. They instantly became her favorites.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
I don't have much personal experience with Cutco. From my reading a while ago I believe Cutco does not really use very high quality steel for their blade so it does not hold the sharpness for very long.

I've used Shun and Henckels knives and I do like Shun much better.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:00 pm

What does everyone think of Wustof vs Shun knives?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
We have 2 Cutco knives for almost 20 years and we LOVE them! They're 2 different types and are way better than our Henckels. Pricey but well worth it
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:57 am

i have two cutco knives that are nearly 25 years old. they are the sharpest knives in my house. my spouse once had an entire set, but they were lost to parents and siblings who were careless.

selling cutco knives is a losing proposition, despite their high quality. the seller must purchase their own set for demonstrations, and only make money if they sell a set (they get nothing for giving a demo unless you buy).
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I'm really not looking for Cutco knives, in part because we're happy with our current knives, and because I'm not looking to spend that much money on knives.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Rada knives?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by mr_rogers
What does everyone think of Wustof vs Shun knives?
Love my Shuns. I haven't tried Wusthof, but I've tried the REAL JA Henckels and I like the Shuns better. Lighter and more balanced, IMO.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you have good knives I wouldn't trade up to Cutco, but if you are in need of knives they aren't half bad. I don't have a full set of Cutco knives but I do love my "Spreader Spatula" which is my favorite when making sandwiches for a crowd, because you can easily spread mayo/mustard and then cut the sandwich with the serrated edge.

http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=1768

They also have a really awesome warranty and will replace just about everything. My mom buys even damaged ones at garage sales for super cheap then sends them in for warranty replacement then sells it as new on Ebay. There is definitely an aftermarket if you decide you don't want them.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prncess674
They also have a really awesome warranty and will replace just about everything. My mom buys even damaged ones at garage sales for super cheap then sends them in for warranty replacement then sells it as new on Ebay. There is definitely an aftermarket if you decide you don't want them.
Someone mentioned about their mother buying Kitchen-Aid mixers at yard sales as well... Was that your mother?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kipper
Someone mentioned about their mother buying Kitchen-Aid mixers at yard sales as well... Was that your mother?
Yes, she totally works the system. ;-)
She is retired and thinks of it as a fun game and way to make some extra fun money.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Yes, she totally works the system. ;-)
She is retired and thinks of it as a fun game and way to make some extra fun money.
LOL, I love it! If I ever bother to stop at yard sales, I should pay attention to that sort of thing.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Ding ding. Same thing with Shun knives. If you see a damaged knife at the garage sale, grab it. Send it in for sharpening (free lifetime sharpening by Shun), they'll usually send back a new one

If you have good knives I wouldn't trade up to Cutco, but if you are in need of knives they aren't half bad. I don't have a full set of Cutco knives but I do love my "Spreader Spatula" which is my favorite when making sandwiches for a crowd, because you can easily spread mayo/mustard and then cut the sandwich with the serrated edge.

http://www.cutco.com/products/produc...itemGroup=1768

Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Ding ding. Same thing with Shun knives. If you see a damaged knife at the garage sale, grab it. Send it in for sharpening (free lifetime sharpening by Shun), they'll usually send back a new one
Gah!!! Now I'm going to be scouring yard sales for Shun and Cutco knives.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Hammer Stahl has been on of the best knifes great edge and teeth run it over your fingers and you can feel it grabbing them.

Cutco is a good knife but no teeth, more of a slicing action than a sawing one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.