Reload this Page >

What was your Best Meal of the Year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was your Best Meal of the Year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:40 am

Two meals stand out personally, amazing antipasti and cappelletti in brodo in an osteria in Reggio Emilia in Northern Italy, and the best ceviche I’ve ever tasted in Gaston Acuria’s La Mar in Lima (which far outshone our meal in the much more storied Central).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I've dined at 36 Michelin-starred restaurants this year, some of them a few times (7 3-stars, 13 2-stars, and 16 1-stars). It's very hard to say what my best meal was! I might actually give the honor to The Araki, the newly 3-starred sushi counter in London. Though I believe this is largely because it was my first omakase experience and so this was something new for me. Never before have I had sushi at that level. Come to think of it, some of the most fun I've had dining this year has been at counter-style restaurants; I also had amazing experiences at Atera and Blanca in NYC. While I was celebrating a friend's birthday at Atera, my meals at The Araki and Blanca were the most fun I've ever had dining alone.

I'd say my top ten this year were:

1. The Araki (omakase)
2. Azurmendi (classic tasting menu)
3. Atera
4. Blanca
5. Jean-Georges (signature tasting menu)
6. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester
7. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (classic tasting menu + white truffle/cep linguine)
8. Helene Darroze at the Connaught (set lunch, believe it or not)
9. The Modern (a la carte lunch)
10. Claude Bosi at Bibendum (a la carte lunch)

Biggest disappointments this year were Sixteen (2 stars) and Grace (3 stars) in Chicago.

I'll also throw in my best and most memorable wine pairings this year, the premium pairings offered by the following restaurants:

1. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester
2. Sketch (Lecture Room & Library)
3. Atera
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by rwm818
Nice to see Cantinetta Antinori on your list from a few years ago - have a reservation there for Sat, Dec 16th. Hope it is still just as good!
Good for you! Buon appetito. Yes, it is still as good. I was there in September and will be back in two weeks!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Best meal of 2017: My leaving San Diego dinner with @SANdEhGo had his father.

Steak, shrimp, red wine, 30yo scotch and the company of two of the best people in my world.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Pulled pork sandwich at Eli's in Cincinnati.

What Eli's does for pulled pork can hardly be described adequately. If BBQ could deserve a Michelin *, this would be the place.
I notice that sushi restaurants get stars. Consequently I believe Eli's deserves one.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:42 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I am going to say Cosme, and maybe it's because it's my style of food despite the fact that we ate at more renown places this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.