Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was your Best Meal of the Year?

What was your Best Meal of the Year?

Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Lots of great meals but the two stand-outs were Pique Nique in Bermondsey and 108Garage in the Golborne Road. It would be invidious to have to choose between them.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Best meals of the year for me included:

Yong Kang Beef Noodles in Taipei.
Pho Gia Truyen in Hanoi
Food Terminal in Atlanta
150 Central Park on Harmony of the Seas
Timoti's Seafood Shack in Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island
Alain Ducasse in Paris
Bern's in Tampa (dessert room really was awesome)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CMK10
For me it was at A Single Pebble in Burlington, VT. I grew up outside New York City in a town called Rye. There was a Chinese restaurant there called Hunan Garden that is still the gold standard of Chinese food to me. Sadly, they closed in 2003. I now live in North Carolina where the Chinese food situation is not very good. Back in April I went to A Single Pebble and had two dishes, cold spicy noodles with chicken and duck pancakes that were identical to the food I grew up on. I'd written such things off and having them again was incredible.
Funny you should mention A Single Pebble. I just came back from two weeks in Vermont and walked past A Single Pebble a couple of times, although I haven't had a chance to eat there yet. My brother who lives nearby knows the owners and says it is his favorite Chinese restaurant there. I hope to eat there on my next visit.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
There used to be a culinary school east of Burlington where the students would serve their meals to the public. I had an absolutely amazing meal there years ago. Google tells me it is now called Cooks but I'm pretty sure that was not the name when I went. I thought it was the New England Culinary Institute. In any event, if you're familiar with Burlington, maybe you've been?
I am afraid not. I was just in Burlington to check off an Amtrak route and visit the VT capitol in nearby Montpelier.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've been heavily focusing on losing weight this year, so not a lot in the way of memorable meals. Two classic favourites though: A special 1/2 duck & rice special at Momofuku Ssam and the full tasting menu at Momofuku Ko (my first time in the new venue - even better than before).
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does Taste of Washington Count?

For $90 ($95 in 2018) you get unlimited tastings of many top Seattle Restaurants and almost every Washington Winery.

tastewashington.org
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:27 pm

Stayed at a small "Hotel Restaurant" in Chateumeillant while attending a World Championship competition this year.... As it turned out it was VERY MUCH a restaurant...and a very small Hotel...( only had 7 rooms).... we had 2 of them...and only one other was occupied in the week that we were there...and only for one night.... the Restaurant however was busy every night.

With good reason...the food was marvellous. I'm going to vote for every evening meal we had there...
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
There used to be a culinary school east of Burlington where the students would serve their meals to the public. I had an absolutely amazing meal there years ago. Google tells me it is now called Cooks but I'm pretty sure that was not the name when I went. I thought it was the New England Culinary Institute. In any event, if you're familiar with Burlington, maybe you've been?
Yes! I lived in VT for a few years at the end of high school and my parents were still there for part of college.

I very fondly remember NECI and we were all sad when it closed down
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:27 am
Suspended

The best meal I had was when I was in Bangkok, Thailand. Their " Pad Thai" is the best!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Favorite meals of the year:

La Giostra - Florence
Ah Tai (chicken rice) - Singapore
Avocado - Santorini
Fondue Chalet Europaallee - Zurich
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Favorite meals of the year:
Fondue Chalet Europaallee - Zurich
Interesting recommendation. I'll try to pop by while there in January
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Best meal this year was at Le Fer a Cheval in Chamonix.

Nothing fancy, just a solid brasserie sort of place that our family loved.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:53 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Best meal of the year was at Momofuku, Las Vegas.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If I rank mine:
  1. Funky Gourmet, Athens
  2. Pineapple & Pearls, DC
  3. Catbird Seat, Nashville
  4. RyuGin, Hong Kong

All were very, very good. I have to give the nod to Funky Gourmet, though. Felt like a never-ending progression of creative but very well-executed dishes, with good wine pairings.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
I've had a few gorgeous ones this year (both in France, funnily enough). Lunch in the Alain Ducasse Cookery School in Paris and dinner in Le Belem in Tharon Plage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.