Wiki Posts
Search

Fresh fish

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fresh fish

another place to buy fresh fish at reasonable prices is Harris-Teeter. this is a relatively local chain, but i presume they are in other parts of the country trading under a different name. the fresh sword fish is usually 11 a lb, the fresh tuna 15. if one joins the fresh catch club, there is a $5.00 rebate on each accumulation of $50.

http://www.harristeeter.com/
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Isn't swordfish one of the varieties of fish that has a very high mercury concentration?

http://www.sfgate.com/green/article/...sh-2478682.php
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My son and husband were both stricken http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40063...-Bad-Fish.html
Beware, particularly of Yellowtail. Fortunately, they responded well to Benadryl. My son and husband ate a Salad Nicoise made with "fresh tuna" at a very well-respected restaurant. Within minutes, they were sick.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by obscure2k
My son and husband were both stricken http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40063...-Bad-Fish.html
Beware, particularly of Yellowtail. Fortunately, they responded well to Benadryl. My son and husband ate a Salad Nicoise made with "fresh tuna" at a very well-respected restaurant. Within minutes, they were sick.
Dr Weil was my high school buddy many years ago. ^
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:15 pm

I only buy fish from Whole Foods and will most likely never purchase swordfish again after talking with a friend who used to work on a fish dock when he was in high school.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The illness described is Scombroid Poisoning Buying your Yellowtail fish at Whole Foods will not protect you. The histamines which invade this fish flesh occur at the time the fish is caught and then not cooled quickly. By the time it reaches WF and enters the case, the die has been cast
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:05 pm

Nope, not referring to an illness. I apologize in advance if this creeps anyone out, but I don't purchase swordfish, anywhere, because my friend said they would pull worms out of them when freshly caught. I know, I know, they're perfectly safe to eat (the fish I mean) but I simply choose not to. "There are plenty other fish in the sea." that may or may not have worms too...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Fresh fish?

Catch it yourself.
Freshest I've had is either Rainbow trout straight from the stream...
Cleaned it on the bank, and fried it in a little saved bacon fat.

Or the Yellowtail tuna sashimi... On an overnight fishing boat out of San Diego. As the deckhand cleaned and filleted our catch, he'd flip slices to us. There is the reason for wasabi in the tube!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I just drive over to Half Moon Bay and buy off the decks of the fishing boats. Get some really great deals on crab.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
Nope, not referring to an illness. I apologize in advance if this creeps anyone out, but I don't purchase swordfish, anywhere, because my friend said they would pull worms out of them when freshly caught. I know, I know, they're perfectly safe to eat (the fish I mean) but I simply choose not to. "There are plenty other fish in the sea." that may or may not have worms too...
sword frequently has worms. i do not think they are pulled, as they tend to be tiny, and hard to pull. they tend to be white, and close to invisible to the human eye. i think worms are common in many fish(cod,pollock, ).

beef and other red meats have worm problems.
eat tofu. no worms.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've got a similar situation as Doc- a good local fishery that leaves me feeling like there's never a need to buy fish from a grocery store.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by slawecki
eat tofu. no worms.
Just phytoestrogens. Enjoy the breast enhancement, guys...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:38 pm

I'm juts finding that place
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by mlshanks
Fresh fish?

Catch it yourself.
Freshest I've had is either Rainbow trout straight from the stream...
Cleaned it on the bank, and fried it in a little saved bacon fat.

Or the Yellowtail tuna sashimi... On an overnight fishing boat out of San Diego. As the deckhand cleaned and filleted our catch, he'd flip slices to us. There is the reason for wasabi in the tube!
I second this.

Thanks to "health regulations" fresh fish in the US isn't really fresh unless it's illegal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/ny...ted=all&src=pm

And rare is the sushi restaurant that tells customers upfront that they may be eating fish that has been in deep freeze for up to two years.
Taste the freshness....
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Deep frozen tuna and salmon can be purchased at Whole Foods. It's about $10 for 8oz of fish. Fairly pricey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.