Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a SuperAutomatic Espresso Machine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone with a SuperAutomatic Espresso Machine?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

So I’m finally retiring my Rancilio Silvia and Rocky after nearly 10 years of service. Figured it was time for an upgrade. Just ordered a Eureka Atom grinder and Rocket Mozzafiato Evoluzione R. Very much looking forward to my new toys coming in the next week or so. Will also setup plumbing to the machine - I think we can tap into the refrigerator water line, so shouldn’t be too bad.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I am using a Saeco Intelia Deluxe. I only ever make espressos or long espressos with it, I have not made any cappuccinos or lattes in the 9 months I've had the machine.

So far it's holding up well... hopefully it will be more reliable than the Miele automatic that I had previously. That machine looked great, it was built right into the cabinetry. But it failed after a few years and I could simply not find anyone who could service it. It's annoying to have an appliance built into your kitchen cabinets that doesn't work. A replacement Miele would have been around $4,000, while I paid about $1,300 for the Saeco.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I am a die-hard Fan of Jura Machines. Im now on my 3rd machine, the previous two served me for 10 and 12 years, respectively. They are not a small investment, but I continue to be pleased with their long term performance and will continue to give Jura my business when the time comes to replace my current Impressa Z9.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I am a die-hard Fan of Jura Machines. Im now on my 3rd machine, the previous two served me for 10 and 12 years, respectively. They are not a small investment, but I continue to be pleased with their long term performance and will continue to give Jura my business when the time comes to replace my current Impressa Z9.
For those on watch for a good price on Jura. If you're Costco member the J6 went on sale today for $1,999. As far as I can tell this is an unheard of price by several hundred dollars. If you aren't a member it would be worth it to join, just for this. I snagged mine this morning. This is online only.

https://www.costco.com/JURA-J6-Autom...100416628.html

This model replaces the J9 and the J90.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:08 pm

I’ve never been impressed by the shots coming out of a Jura machine; however, I’ll grant that freshness of beans have likely been a strong contributor to that.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:29 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

My Jura is on its last legs (won’t recognize cleaning tablets) so it’s probably time for a new one. Just a coffee drinker so don’t need the fancy features? Any recommendations? Want to keep it under $1000... doesn’t necessarily have to be a JURA either...

fdw
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
My Jura is on its last legs (won’t recognize cleaning tablets) so it’s probably time for a new one. Just a coffee drinker so don’t need the fancy features? Any recommendations? Want to keep it under $1000... doesn’t necessarily have to be a JURA either...

fdw
I agree with the 12 year life-span, more or less. At 4 cups a day (2 each) that comes out to be $0.11 per cup to amortize the Jura. (Not including the actual coffee, filters and cleaning tablets). I think that's a good bargain in the end.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:34 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by milepig
I agree with the 12 year life-span, more or less. At 4 cups a day (2 each) that comes out to be $0.11 per cup to amortize the Jura. (Not including the actual coffee, filters and cleaning tablets). I think that's a good bargain in the end.
I got my refurbished for $550.... I got it with only 82 shots on the counter.. now it's got 19K+

I think I got pretty darn good use out of it...

FDW
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got my refurbished for $550.... I got it with only 82 shots on the counter.. now it's got 19K+

I think I got pretty darn good use out of it...

FDW
Wait - there's a counter?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:59 pm

i managed to successfully use this amortisation argument to convince my better half to allow me to purchase a Jura E8 (which was 30% off). I owe you a drink
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Wait - there's a counter?
yeah; depending on the model it’s hidden somewhere in the settings menu. It can be... sobering....

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
i managed to successfully use this amortisation argument to convince my better half to allow me to purchase a Jura E8 (which was 30% off). I owe you a drink
30% off? Where? Please?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:04 pm

yeah; depending on the model it’s hidden somewhere in the settings menu. It can be... sobering....

30% off? Where? Please?
Debenhams in the UK and Ireland, possibly not much use to you.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Good deals can be found on refurb machines at wholelattelove and seattlecoffeegear. I've had a Saeco refurb going on 3 years now with no problems whatsoever. I think I've already got my money's worth and when the time comes to replace it, I'll view it as an opportunity for a significant upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Contacted JURA and they offer repair for $275, or trade in for discount.. so now we are looking at either the A9 or the E6 (they don't offer the E8 on trade-in unfortunately). New,with two year warranty.. plus my Citi prestige should give me another two years right? So, I would love some help

Here are the pros of the A9 versus E6 as I see it:

Can make coffee/milk drinks with one touch versus the E6 (no knob turning); however, I don't put milk into my coffee (though my wife typically just puts warm milk in hers)

Makes more drinks (including ristretto)

Same form factor as the ENA 5

powder chute for ground coffee

Cons of the A9

Small range of coffee strength size; versus the E6 (max 10 g versus 16g)

small water and bean reservoir as well as grounds hopper (though not much difference versus my ENA 5)

Not adjustable water temperature

Am I missing anything? Both seem to have PEP, the same grinder.. The coffee dose size is the a hold up; is it that much of a difference? Also, long term reliability is on my mind too- can the A9 get as many miles as the E6 (I've seem some vague references to the A9; micro ENA machines having the same brew group; which isn't as up to snuff)
Old May 20, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Other than for the failed built-in Miele above, has anyone had experience with the Miele countertop superautomatics? Current sale where I am where the price gets knocked down over 50% providing you buy 5 Kg of rather-expensive coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.