Wiki Posts
Search

Best Bread in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Best Bread in the USA

Here in Cincinnati, I have to go to the outdoor markets to get bread baked by Blue Oven-they do organic wood oven breads that are just wonderful. Our visitors from Germany thought it was some of the best bread they had ever eaten! Since we will be taking a winter holiday in Florida, I thought I would look fora bread bakery like that . No luck so far and I am beginning to thinkthat really great bread is not as usual as I had hoped. Where do you get your wonderful bread ?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Arthur Avenue Bread from the Bronx, NYC.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
My oven. It is not wood fired but I control every ingredient that goes into it and never have to leave the house.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My everyday "wonderful" bread comes from Acme, on San Pablo @ Cedar, Berkeley, CA. There is plenty of other wonderful bread around here, and Acme isn't my favorite for all varieties, but if there was "I'd be distraught if it closed" sort of place, this is it.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/499; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My everyday "wonderful" bread comes from Acme, on San Pablo @ Cedar, Berkeley, CA. There is plenty of other wonderful bread around here, and Acme isn't my favorite for all varieties, but if there was "I'd be distraught if it closed" sort of place, this is it.
Do people still line up on Saturday mornings to buy Acme from the storefront on San Pablo? I went there many a Saturday in the late '80s when I lived in Albany. The sweet batard was my all-time favorite
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/499; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Do people still line up on Saturday mornings to buy Acme from the storefront on San Pablo? I went there many a Saturday in the late '80s when I lived in Albany. The sweet batard was my all-time favorite
Saturday, Sunday, and every other day. Between that, Cafe Fanny, and Kermit Lynch all in the same building, it should be illegal.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Acme is just okay

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Acme isn't my favorite for all varieties
I agree. I have eaten a lot of Acme bread. I always have that anticipation that it's going to be great, like the kind of french bread you get in Paris and it makes you wish, "God, why can't all french bread be like this?" But I am always disappointed when I bite into a piece of Acme bread.

Acme is just okay.

It's better than most bread that is out there, and for us bay area foodies, it's all we've got. However, I do not think it's amazing bread that you have to drive far & away for or that you have to order on-line. It's pretty good bread that's just okay. Personally, I do not think it's worth the money.

You can get some great, fresh-baked stuff, at Costco (yes, Costco). The fresh stuff they have is just delicious, much cheaper than Acme, and my my opinion, it tastes better than Acme. But it's that stuff that is fresh from the oven; that stuff is so good.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Acme is just okay.
The stuff that comes out of their San Pablo Ave. ovens seems to be better than that which comes out of their West Berkeley ovens which are sent for distribution. I think most of their bread is a lot better than "just okay" but most of it I get "oven fresh" and it has never been on a truck.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:46 am
OFV

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Cranberry-pecan loaf from Balthazar's bakery, NYC...has to be fresh from the bakery instead of the ones available at corner bodegas.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
The sourdough at Tadich - apparently a special recipe for them and not otherwise available.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Gotta go to Frisco for the sour dough.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I'm partial to the bread you can get from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor MI. Mail order almost as good as fresh.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Arthur Avenue Bread from the Bronx, NYC.
This gets my vote, too, though Martin's potato rolls are pretty darn great.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by work2fly
The sourdough at Tadich - apparently a special recipe for them and not otherwise available.
+1 ^
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: CO, UA, SPG
Blue Dog Bakery in Louisville makes some great bread (and consequently, great sandwiches as well!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.