Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
House brands vary a lot by country; in the UK they make up over 50% of sales! Most other countries are at about 20% or less (so name brands still dominate). Almost all house brands are made by a name-brand factory and to the same quality standards. So it isn't really a quality issue; and some house-brands are premium priced, not competing on price. About the only thing that they have in common is minimal advertising of house brands vs. a hefty advertising budget for name brands. So it is mostly a "money in the product" or "money in the TV network's pocket" issue
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Walgreens or Safeway's Dry Roasted Peanuts are much better than Planters. More spice, more salt.
I like Planters as well as Walgreens: CVS are terrible however. Purchased them once and never again.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I like Publix's Orange Juice and when in No Cal I like Lucerne(safeway brand ) Cottage cheese
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If it had a name brand and a generic it isn't actually food.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
All M&S food products...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fthrsdghtr
costco canned tuna is much better than any of the name brands.
Try Wegmans and post.

MisterNice
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Try Wegmans and post.

MisterNice
Fully agree with you on this. Wegmans quality and taste are awesome...on all products. I especially like their pastas and sauces, as well as their juices and yellowfin tuna.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
+1 on Trader Joe's. I think their spaghetti consistently gets a better rating than other national brands.

also a +1 on M&S - I find myself making a trip to M&S to stock up on snacks/drinks when I am in the UK

also, I am a fan of Loblaw's President's Choice brands, their cookies were my fave for a while, as are their specialty sauces - "Memories of...."
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by exbayern
Yes, the Albrecht story is fascinating. I am always pleased to find some of my usual German or French products at Trader Joe's when I am in the US, often hidden under a generic label.

I don't like ALDI in the US however, but it may just be the stores that I have visited. They are very different than the German ALDI stores (which differ too depending if one is above or below the 'ALDI line' )

And as to the OP, the nuts at TJ's are really tasty with a number of interesting combinations.
Can you name some? I'm a huge TJ's fan and am impressed with the quality of the products there, but not so much of the raw meats. It just seems to sketchy as to the origin. I'm a very discriminating meat purchaser.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by phillygold
Fully agree with you on this. Wegmans quality and taste are awesome...on all products. I especially like their pastas and sauces, as well as their juices and yellowfin tuna.
+1 for Wegmans brands, especially pasta. I also buy their brand for things like Apple Sauce, canned goods and dairy products, including the excellent Organic Super Yogurt.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phillygold
I agree and I started buying their deli meats and cheeses. Great quality and nice prices. Oh yes and ask for a sample of two to taste before deciding what/which to buy.

MisterNice
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I like Stew Leonard's dairy products (milk, half and half and butter).
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I like Stew Leonard's dairy products (milk, half and half and butter).
as they should, they started out as a dairy afterall

tom Leonard's down in VA is nice as well.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
PC The Decadent chocolate chip cookies. Best non-homemade chocolate chip cookies EVER.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I have discovered numerous Kirkland products that I like better than the name brand equivalent. Of course, the Kirkland products are generally made by pretty reputable producers (i.e., Saranac makes the Kirkland beer), so I shouldn't be surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.