Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curious beef cuts ... a question for Cue experts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Curious beef cuts ... a question for Cue experts

Mrs. Deubster gave me a Traeger Lil' Tex pellet grill for Christmas hopefully replacing my old water smoker and offset firebox smoker. So over the weekend I was in Sam's Club (not many choices round here) looking for maybe a tri-tip roast or shoulder clod or something different from my usual briskets or pork shoulder. They didn't have those, but they did have some cuts that made me curious ... would these be any good treated to slow & low smoking, dry or wet, on my 'Lil Tex? Both were Choice grade, in packer trim bags, and I wrote the names down exactly because each name had odd elements:

1) "Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast", averaged 5 - 8 lbs, looked very lean, sort of wedge shaped, $2.08/lb.
2) "Beef Loin Top Boneless Sirloin Butt, 1/4 trim", these were 8 -12 lb, shaped like a Boston Butt, $2.44/lb.

The words "Round" and "Sirloin" together in #1 threw me off, as did "Loin", "Sirloin", and "Butt" together in #2. I suspect #1 is just a round roast and would be dry and tough no matter what I did to it, but #2 looked interesting.

Any help identifying these mysterious meats?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:58 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by deubster
...Any help identifying these mysterious meats?
You might send a PM to kanebear. If anyone could enlighten you, it would probably be him.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Due to the location of those cuts, both are likely to be tougher cuts of beef. I don't think they would be good for slow cooking.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Whenever I need to know anything about cuts of meat, I always go and look over at

www.askthemeatman.com

It's a great website to deciper cuts of meat and where they come from

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.