Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Application for US Diners Club Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Application for US Diners Club Cards?

Maybe I am loosing it but I have just spent 10 minutes on the Diners Club US site and can't see how you apply? Is it still possible to apply to get a US Personal Diners Club card? If so, does anyone have a link?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:45 pm

As far as I know, there is no longer an online app. You can call Diners US at 800-2-DINERS to apply.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The real question is, why?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Originally Posted by BearX220
The real question is, why?
Why what?

If you mean why would I want to get a Diners Club card - I was interested after I finished my RewardsDB page showing which lounges worldwide can be accessed with alternative (non-airline membership) programs or day passes and noticed that Diners still has a good range of lounges in several places in the world.

If you mean why don't they have an online application form, I have no idea... my initial thought was that it had something to do with the Discover takeover. I also noticed that the credit card they had been forshadowing, has now vanished.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
my initial thought was that it had something to do with the Discover takeover. I also noticed that the credit card they had been foreshadowing, has now vanished.
The online application form was removed sometime in 2007. Discover is buying only the Diners Club International transaction processing network. Diners Club International does not process charges for the cards issued in the USA or Canada, which are processed by Mastercard. Citi is not selling any of its Diners Club card issuing franchises.

The Diners Club credit card was apparently used as a transition product for holders of the discontinued Carte Blanche Classic and Montage cards, but to my knowledge applications were never accepted.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
If you mean why don't they have an online application form, I have no idea...
There is much evidence for speculating that the entire Diners Club website maintenance staff consists of one part-time contractor who only has about one hour's time to work on the DC website per month.

That would explain the lack of an oline application, the never-solved problem of Quicken downloads (after years of it not working right), the often out-of-date information all over the website, etc.

Btw, also remember that DC in the US is administered by Citibank. Ie, the same company which has the following online issues: 1. When I get a new card, the process of adding online access not only is manual. (Chase adds them automatically.) 2. When I try to add a new Amex card online, it barfs unless you add a leading zero. But there's nothing to inform you of that leading 0 being necessary (until you ask customer service why you're getting errors!). 3. Every time you add a new card, you have to add the check account info from scratch, even if you want the same payment account for the new card as for every card you already had. (Chase doesn't have this issue either.) I'm sure there are more, but those are just the ones I had to deal with in the past 24 hours...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CO Pres+
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Btw, also remember that DC in the US is administered by Citibank. Ie, the same company which has the following online issues: 1. When I get a new card, the process of adding online access not only is manual. (Chase adds them automatically.) 2. When I try to add a new Amex card online, it barfs unless you add a leading zero. But there's nothing to inform you of that leading 0 being necessary (until you ask customer service why you're getting errors!). 3. Every time you add a new card, you have to add the check account info from scratch, even if you want the same payment account for the new card as for every card you already had. (Chase doesn't have this issue either.) I'm sure there are more, but those are just the ones I had to deal with in the past 24 hours...
I agree. Once every often I would add a new bank account to pay my bills, and the security word seems never being able to read my word correctly and I get locked out for 24 hours, and then need to go through the hassle of calling them, complain so they'll waive a pay-by-phone fee, etc.

This alone has driven me to use Amex cards more frequently.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Worth remembering that Diners Club cards are free to Citigold customers (....except that each year you typically need to call the Citigold CS line to get them to reverse the annual charge.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.