Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2005, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

is it really that bad?

Hi I'm new to the forums and had some questions regarding the new DC mastercard...

I dont have the card but is this new mastercard change that bad? From my point of view, I see a card that I can pretty much get 1 mile on nearly any airline for every dollar I spend (including United!). While being accepted pretty much everywhere

Aside from the 60day grace period, what is the big deal? 60 days is nice but 30 is just like any other credit card.

Now I'm considering signing up for this card, but I dont know if Im seeing the whole picture... I currently have the UAL visa and the starwood amex, but having accumulated 300k miles, I sometimes wish I could I would have more options in point redemption...

can someone shed more light? or are older cardholders just upset they are losing the 60day grace period?

PS-im not trying to start a flame war, just legitimate questions after seeing all the negative posts on the new DC. and before I lay down 95 for a year on a DC I want to be sure. Thanks in advance!
Old May 9, 2005, 8:23 pm

You are absolutely right. There is no change except the two month biling cycle. I myself do not understand why people have taken it to their heart so much

Starwood Amex is one card that comes very close with the advantage of 1:1.25 transfer of points to miles ratio which is indeed very nice. Other than that no ability to transfer to UA, less acceptable than MC/Visa. Every day more and more merchants are taking Amex but still everyone has to carry MC/Visa in their vallet. Tons of options to redeem points. And if you are Citigold than no annual fee I am also confused like you. So much venom, so much hatred. Why so personal?
Old May 10, 2005, 5:46 am

Primary car rental insurance is a very big selling point in my opinion. The loss of the 60 day grace period is not a big deal, but I could see how others might be upset given that a benefit is being taken away without a replacement. With that said, Starwood gives you quite a bit of flexibility. Having more miles on USAir than I'd like to admit, my focus has been on Starwood lately. Just try redeeming a USAir award and you'll know what I mean.
Old May 10, 2005, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by TTT103
The loss of the 60 day grace period is not a big deal, but I could see how others might be upset given that a benefit is being taken away without a replacement.
Personally, I think the huge increase in the number of merchants who will accept the card is more than a satisfactory replacement for the loss of the 60 day grace period. For me, the biggest disappointment is the devaluation in conversion of points to Southwest Rapid Rewards. A 50% increase in the # of points needed for 1 RR credit is very substantial and was almost enough to get me to drop the card.

I also have a Starwood AMEX, but the ability to convert DC into many different hotel programs and the increased # of merchants, even significantly greater than AMEX, were the two points that have made me keep the card, so far.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I very rarely used the 60 days to pay my bill. I'm keeping the card for 2 reasons - primary car rental insurance & the ability to transfer points to almost any program.

I've been happy with it, and unless there are drastic changes, I don't see myself cancelling it. As a matter of fact, the MC affiliation will most likely prompt me to get my husband a card and we will make it our primary card (vs. amex).
Old May 10, 2005, 11:53 am

Overall, I think the "marriage" between DC and MasterCard is a positive thing. We will be able to use the card at more places.

I think the reaction is do to the potential of Diners Club losing its "brand" name. People will start to think that Diners Club is just another MasterCard.

I wonder what will happen to the "World" MasterCard after the DC conversion?
Old May 10, 2005, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by maulah
You are absolutely right. There is no change except the two month biling cycle. I myself do not understand why people have taken it to their heart so much

Starwood Amex is one card that comes very close with the advantage of 1:1.25 transfer of points to miles ratio which is indeed very nice. Other than that no ability to transfer to UA, less acceptable than MC/Visa. Every day more and more merchants are taking Amex but still everyone has to carry MC/Visa in their vallet. Tons of options to redeem points. And if you are Citigold than no annual fee I am also confused like you. So much venom, so much hatred. Why so personal?

Other than the 60 day change, I think one of the reasons why people are worried and/or angry about the conversion is that DC used to be known as an exclusive T&E card carried by affluent cardmembers, now it is becoming just another Master Card for which almost anyone can apply. DC is losing its cachet, but this is happening to other card products as well. Ex: AMEX Platinum used to be an exclusive product, but now almost anyone who is willing to pay the $395 fee can obtain it. IMHO credit cards today are not as much status symbols compared to the past (AMEX Centurion and Visa Infinite may be the only exceptions).
Old May 10, 2005, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The 60 day change is THE big one.

I never had to worry about paying the bill; I might buy a ticket a week or 10 days beforehand, then be on a two week trip, get home, take a week or 10 days to get my expenses sorted and paid.

Now something like that could cost me a month's interest (or more, I haven't looked to see how they are going to calculate it). And it's not like they are even offering a cheapie interest rate.

Steve
Old May 11, 2005, 5:44 am

I agree. For certain people the loss of 60 days biling is a big issue. The question is: what is the alternative? Certainly you can dump the card in protest or in frustration but then what?
Old May 11, 2005, 7:35 am

I agree. For certain people the loss of 60 days biling is a big issue. The question is: what is the alternative? Certainly you can dump the card in protest or in frustration but then what?
Since I have not heard of any other card offering the one month deferral as a recurring (as opposed to promotional) benefit, there is no alternative. Therefore cancelling the card simply means you will then move to utilization of another card which also does not have the benefit. In todays travel world, benefit reductions are a norm. However, I like many others have never considered this benefit to have a high priority and therefore consider the expanded usage opportunities to be a significant improvement in the benefits and am pleased with the changes.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Then you save $95.

Back to the original topic title Is it Really That Bad?
No. No one died. No major illnesses. You won't break out in a rash by keeping the card.

HOWEVER: (with no offense to the OP)
"Is it really that bad" is not the right way to look at this. Why can't a highly profitable business keep an excellent product? Bit by bit, things have chipped away. Last I checked, a group of lounges I use at least once a year no longer include a guest. I now pay to get points to airline miles. I no longer have 60 days. Other incremental changes I can't even recall as we speak. idine going through major benefit reductions overall very soon, and I'm not sure if it is going to hit the DC benefit.

So no, it isn't "really that bad", but it isn't $95 good. I haven't trashed the card yet, but I'm not so keen on keeping it anymore.
Old May 11, 2005, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Then you save $95.

Back to the original topic title Is it Really That Bad?
No. No one died. No major illnesses. You won't break out in a rash by keeping the card.

HOWEVER: (with no offense to the OP)
"Is it really that bad" is not the right way to look at this. Why can't a highly profitable business keep an excellent product? Bit by bit, things have chipped away. Last I checked, a group of lounges I use at least once a year no longer include a guest. I now pay to get points to airline miles. I no longer have 60 days. Other incremental changes I can't even recall as we speak. idine going through major benefit reductions overall very soon, and I'm not sure if it is going to hit the DC benefit.

So no, it isn't "really that bad", but it isn't $95 good. I haven't trashed the card yet, but I'm not so keen on keeping it anymore.
Why can't a highly profitable business keep an excellent product? I wish I could answer that. Definately loss of any benefit is something unwelcome. I dont know what was going on in their heads when they decided to ditch 2 month biling.

Certainly you can save $95 but you did not give an alternative. Primary auto insurance, very rich award redemption options and now ability to use at vitirtually all the merchants that accept charge cards. What is the best solution On top of that for a few minority like me who dont even pay $95 (Citigold relationship).
Old May 11, 2005, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
"No worse than most of the others" is not a winning brand position.
Old May 11, 2005, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
"No worse than most of the others" is not a winning brand position.
Agreed. This is not a winning brand position. Now let us put aside the pessimism and look for others. Please suggest to me an alternative. Tell something better or atleast equal to DC for us and also without fee for me.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:58 pm

Programs: Diners Club, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, National
For me, the 60-day float was the biggest benefit, and the only major differentiator. I needed that time for my company's expense report reimbursements to come through.

Diners Club probably expects a big increase in charges, and didn't want to underwrite the cost of that float. Also, being a MasterCard, maybe they didn't want to attract sub-prime customers with a benefit that can be construed as "Hey, short on cash this month? Don't worry, you have two months to pay!"

Customer Service was also a big benefit. Human voice, quick call response, professional and experienced. There are rumblings that calls to Diners Club will soon go into a big pool of Citibank reps, not exclusive to the Diners Club products.

I wish Diners Club management in Chicago read the market better, and kept the 60-day float for Diners Club Carte Blanche cardmembers. Now, that would be a reason to upgrade to the premium card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.