Wiki Posts
Search

Why did DC allow the card to be killed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Why did DC allow the card to be killed?

Of course you may argue it is not dead, but really it is.
You cannot apply for the card anymore.
The USA has converted to MC.
Many other countries have converted and closed accounts.
WHY? Good for competition, good for options, good for consumers.
Used to be many options. My DC relationship started back with the advent of Amoco TorchClub, I was so happy to have that card.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For some decades (1981 - 2008) Citi was both the owner of Diners Club International -and- the franchise holder in many markets. I think that Citi wrote a contract that allowed the North American franchise holder to migrate to MasterCard network, and BMO inherited that contract when it bought the franchise in 2005. I expect that the contract has a renewal date, and perhaps Diners Club International will be able to negotiate a different arrangement when the time comes, but perhaps Diners Club is receiving an income flow from the MasterCard transactions for doing next to nothing and is satisfied.

As a practical matter, would North American cardholders really want to trade MasterCard network acceptance for a mix of Discover with vestiges of the Diners network?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
As a practical matter, would North American cardholders really want to trade MasterCard network acceptance for a mix of Discover with vestiges of the Diners network?
Potentially better acceptance in China? Though honestly, it's probably not much better given that most use QR via AliPay and WeChat Pay (and I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff, either).
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.