Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2001, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Please explain using miles to upgrade - new at this

My brother has considerable SkyMiles, but no status. Can he use them to upgrade to F
ATL/LGW and back leaving this Sunday? I looked on the Delta site and couldn't find an answer. Any help and links will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 1:30 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
a) DL's permium product is BusinessElite, there is no international F anymore.
b) An upgrade requires a published Y, B or M fare.
c) The upgrade has to be requested TODAY because DL does not do any same-day upgrades anymore. Your brother should hurry and call DL reservations as soon as possible if his fare qualifies. The mileage needed is 20K o/w.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum

I purchased a ticket to LGW and used my miles to upgrade. When at CTO, the agent took my miles out of my account apparently when I had to make an initial change to the ticket. Subsequently, I have had to cancel the trip and DL will not redeposit my miles back into my account. I have been told that the miles will follow my credit and as long as I purchase a future upgradable fare, I can upgrade automatically. Is there anyway to get those miles back?
Old Oct 1, 2002, 9:10 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Yes, if you pay the award redeposit fee.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 5:24 pm

The redeposit fee is $75--at least for a GM. However, I recently paid the fee, but the miles were never redeposited to my account which still shows the 40,000 mile deduction. When I called DL, I spoke with an agent who insisted the miles had never been deducted despite the fact I was looking at my account on-line. The agent claimed she didn't see any deduction on her screen ergo no deduction and was incapable of understanding the logic of my position (1) If the miles had never been deducted why was I charged $75.00 and (2) if the miles were deducted why had they never been reposted? I was told to take up the matter with the SkyMiles Service Center.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
International reservations told me it was impossible. They transferred me to Skymiles service to appeal it. Skymiles service says they don't deal with this and transferred me back to international reservations. A vicious circle and no real answer except that if I get another ticket, it will automatically be upgraded. Maybe I should just plan an international trip sometime over the next year. I don't want to pay them $75 to have them not redeposit it.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 5:56 pm

If you want your miles back (while paying the $75) I guess it's time for a trip to a CTO...
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:05 am

Upgrading on International segments - miles / coupons

I have a question related to international. I realized last weekend that I did not receive my PMU certificates last year (for 2002) that give you a segment upgrade (got NAMUs though). Never missed them till this weekend.

Next week, I am flying Delta internationally and while making the reservation, the SMS person told me that I can use my miles (40K) to upgrade. Later, I can get them reimbursed by mailing in the certificates I should be receiving later this year. I managed to qualify for PM for 2003 and there is a prolonged delay in mailing out the credentials as they subcontracted them out to some company in Bombay.

Did any of you do this - use miles and then get it reimbursed by mailing a certificate?

------------------
gt0138d - a certified George P Burdell clone...
Old Mar 10, 2003, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I believe that this is a new procedure -- this year only -- designed to circumvent the problems with PMU distribution. I doubt that anybody has had experience yet with such a new procedure. Certainly nobody has any PMUs that could have been mailed in to get miles redeposited. You may be the first!

Bruce
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Biz upgrade to Europe on miles questions.

Hello all, I did some searching but couldn't find answers to all of my questions.

I am flying MXP-JFK in a couple of weeks, on an M fare. I currently have no Delta status. I called about an upgrade, told it was "not currently available". I was also told I couldn't be waitlisted for it. Is there a waitlist, and if so, is it for Medallion members only?

Anyone want to hazard a guess on whether an upgrade might become available? ITN shows J7 D5 I0 Y7 B7 M6 H2 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0. Do any of these buckets correspond to upgrade inventory, or should I just call every day or two to see if something opens up? Do I need to exchange miles for an upgrade cert ahead of time, or can they do it when/if the UG becomes available? If all else fails, can I try at the gate, or is that too late?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
The upgrade class is "Z". You need special tools to see that (check for the very long Gallieo thread on MileBuzz).

There is a waitlist, but it sounds like it is closed. If you managed to get on it, you wouldn't have much luck with no status. Best thing to do with Delta is to check if the upgrade is available before booking (if possible).
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Upgrade to BE Using Miles to Europe

Quick question, which I might otherwise be able to answer using the search function.

I am interested in flying MEM-WAW. In exploring my options for an upgrade, I recognize that PMU's do not yield an upgrade on the CDG-WAW leg of the trip.

I should know this, but I don't -- If I use DL sky miles to upgrade instead, will the CDG-WAW portion of the flight be upgraded, or is it the same rule as with the PMU's?

Please do not respond by telling me that business class in Europe is a glorified coach product -- I know that already, having flown both business and coach on AF and AZ intra-Europe a number of times. I am a big man and, given the general disdain of Europeans for large Americans, please take my word for it that it is infinitely more comfortable for me and everyone else to sit in what is precisely a coach seat with no middle seat next to me in AF business class than the same seat in a full row in coach. (I will provide vignettes if required to make my point! ). Conserving miles is not really a consideration as I have over half a million and a wife who doesn't like to fly.

Thanks for your help,

Casimir

Last edited by Casimir; Feb 16, 2005 at 8:58 am
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
I flown on award miles in BE from JFK-CDG-CPH. The upgrade is complete on the CDG-CPH leg.

I also occasionally fly intra-Europe on a business class ticket and agree with you that the extra space is better than the cramped coach class (plus meals and drinks).
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by avflyer
I flown on award miles in BE from JFK-CDG-CPH. The upgrade is complete on the CDG-CPH leg.

I also occasionally fly intra-Europe on a business class ticket and agree with you that the extra space is better than the cramped coach class (plus meals and drinks).
Thanks, avflyer !! ^ ^
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM
It actually depends on whether the AF flight is a codeshare with DL or not.
Also, full award tickets are different from the upgrades.

I'm not sure of the exact specifics, but I've done this on various combinations.

As an example:
AF has two daily flights to IST. The morning one carries a DL flight number, the afternoon one does not.

On an M/Z fare JFK to IST with a stopover in Paris, when I get on the morning flight, I have gotten Biz. If I take the Afternoon flight, I've gotten the middle "cabin" (whatever they call it these days), but not a Biz seat.

Another time, I got an award ticket (100K) for CO BF to Paris, connecting to the AF evening flight and got the front of the AF flight, since I had "paid for" the front.

To acually answer the question- In my experience, PMU upgrades and Miles upgrades work the same in this situation - but are different from Award B/E tix.

Last edited by remyontheroad; Feb 16, 2005 at 9:30 am Reason: to actually answer your Q

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.