Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Delta Eliminates SkyMiles Expiration

Didn't see this posted yet:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/223523
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
no more expiring SkyMiles :)

Good news in my inbox this morning: Delta has decided to eliminate SM expiration.

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ates/index.jsp

I noticed a few other updates on the above page as well, most notably that GM is STE+ after 3/1/11.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Just confirmed this on Delta's site too. ^

Last edited by ncvet61; Feb 15, 2011 at 8:45 am Reason: added link
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Just received an email with the same. Great change, though worried what changes will come to offset it!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Bonvoy
Sounds good to me, though it hasn't been an issue.

Trying to find a way to differentiate themselves from the others? Different accounting rules makes it easier to carry the miles on their books now?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Very interesting ... I wonder if they will increase the value of miles, or further devalue the skymiles due to hoarding.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I'd guess that the people who account for the bulk of the most miles (like us!) never have them expire anyway.

A nice move, but I'd rather they left expiration and did something about int'l award avail. But I think there's already a thread on that...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Looks like the expiration date information has already been removed from the account information at delta.com.

David
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: A few
this is good news... not that hard to keep from expiring, but I manage accounts for Me, Mrs MA, Master MA and Miss MA and this will certainly help.

My guess is the new CO/UA mix will retain's CO's old policy, leaving US/AA in the dark (as always )
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd say that DL has already eliminated billions of FF mileage during the merger, so have probably gotten rid of much of the dead weight. I know a few people with over 500K in mileage that expired in the last couple of years, because they couldn't find low mileage, and were waiting until they could. Whoops.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Last year, frequent flyers redeemed more than 264 billion miles in the SkyMiles program for more than 12 million award redemptions
Huh? That's an average of 22k/redemption.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Very nice change indeed, especially for the non-FT casual flyers. I just got the e-mail as well.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by discstickers
Huh? That's an average of 22k/redemption.
I wonder if they're counting Marketplace, MFU redemptions, etc., not just flights.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I really do not understand why they did that. Breakage has traditionally been a decent moneymaker, why do something that mostly benefits kettles?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I love when airlines take things away and then slowly give them back touting to be "the only major U.S. carrier" with this feature. Now that I stopped flying DL, I look forward to hanging on to my miles until DL becomes "the only major U.S. carrier" to have domestic roundtrip award flights available for 25,000 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.