Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Eliminates SkyMiles Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:07 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Boo! That sucks. Even less low redemptions are going to be out there now.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I really do not understand why they did that. Breakage has traditionally been a decent moneymaker, why do something that mostly benefits kettles?
I agree. This is a zero value-added benny to their most frequent, and profitable, customers.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd say that DL has already eliminated billions of FF mileage during the merger, so have probably gotten rid of much of the dead weight. I know a few people with over 500K in mileage that expired in the last couple of years, because they couldn't find low mileage, and were waiting until they could. Whoops.
Now there will be even more people who expire before their mileage!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
The statement that Delta is the only major airline with no expiration is not correct. Continental OnePass miles also do not expire.

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
[QUOTE=Jax Tom;15867839]Sounds good to me, though it hasn't been an issue.

/QUOTE]

+1

all that was needed was some kinda transaction, such as a sky mall purchase to keep them from expiring.

Hopefully this will save the Delta IT dept. some money and result in better fares etc.

Bob H

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
How does this benefit the "loyal" traveler?

This seems to benefit the non-loyal, infrequent traveler. I am waiting to see what the truly loyal traveler will have to sacrifice for this.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
The statement that Delta is the only major airline with no expiration is not correct. Continental OnePass miles also do not expire.
Yes and no.....OnePass miles are about to expire permanently into Mileage Plus miles before too long with the merger
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Boo! That sucks. Even less low redemptions are going to be out there now.
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I agree. This is a zero value-added benny to their most frequent, and profitable, customers.
Agree, having activity once every 18 months is a trivial matter, all this will do is create greater mileage balances in the future to compete with for award seats. I'm not sure why any Flyertalker would think this is a good thing. Breakage of mileage is also a revenue source that Delta has now eliminated and I have no doubt they will look to make up that revenue somehow.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I really do not understand why they did that. Breakage has traditionally been a decent moneymaker, why do something that mostly benefits kettles?
Pressure from AMEX?

Perhaps too many folks were losing their 25,000 enrollment bonus before they had a chance to use it and AMEX was receiving the flak.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting that this change is getting so much negative reaction. I am thinking of the many threads where posters allege Delta screwed them out of their miles because they feel they were not properly notified before expiration.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:26 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dickinson
Interesting that this change is getting so much negative reaction. I am thinking of the many threads where posters allege Delta screwed them out of their miles because they feel they were not properly notified before expiration.
Those threads from one post wonders?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl
Originally Posted by domcharles
How does this benefit the "loyal" traveler?

This seems to benefit the non-loyal, infrequent traveler. I am waiting to see what the truly loyal traveler will have to sacrifice for this.
Why does everything have to benefit just the elites? Delta can't survive without the infrequent flyers.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by domcharles
Yes and no.....OnePass miles are about to expire permanently into Mileage Plus miles before too long with the merger
In 2012. I guess that isn't that far away.

IIRC, CO does say that miles can expire after 18 months of inactivity though I don't believe they have ever enforced the policy. My daughter had no travel on CO from 2002-2009 and still had 8K miles in her account when I booked her on CO last December.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
Agree, having activity once every 18 months is a trivial matter, all this will do is create greater mileage balances in the future to compete with for award seats. I'm not sure why any Flyertalker would think this is a good thing. Breakage of mileage is also a revenue source that Delta has now eliminated and I have no doubt they will look to make up that revenue somehow.
Completely agree.

Given how the airlines have flip-flopped on this issue over the years, I predict that other airlines will follow along for a while and then some airline will reverse course (yet again) and institute a mileage expiration policy.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
They probably did some research and learned that kettles would be willing to redeem 32.5K or 35K or something like that instead of 25K for a domestic award, just to use up the miles they have. However, these people don't fly DL often enough to build up the miles to that amount before they expire. Thus, they can now tell people they just need to fly DL more often but don't have to tell them they need to do it within a set period of time.

It's good PR for the kettles, and it wouldn't surprise me if DL gets the accountants to allow them to decrease the liability on the books for SkyPesos that are over x years old. Does it help us with award availability? No. However, I don't think it's as bad of a thing as some are making it out to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.