Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL SM ... more likely Upgrade: ATL-SFO or ATL-SJC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles SM

I will be flying to the Bay Area end of April (midweek). What is the best option (with highest probability) to be upgraded? Any days that are particularly good?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:52 am

sjc..
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I would also define more likely as a slim chance as opposed to no chance. ATL-SJC is sadly down to one 738 that returns as a red-eye.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:10 am

Direct, both pretty slim. Last time I did SFO was #63 on the UG list.

I've had better luck taking a morning flight through MSP (was cheaper too...)
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
I gave up on ATL routing for my weekly commute (SJC/SFO) a year ago. I now go through JFK. Upgrade percentage as a PM on K/Q/M/H fares was terrible ATL-SJC and ATL-SFO. The 737-800 is also very cramped for the ATL-SJC route. As far as SFO goes, look for when the spring schedule changes and they start flying 767s. There are many more F seats on those SFO flights.

Another alternative is to hop through SLC to SJC/SFO. I had much better upgrade experiences on the ATL-SJC routing and there are many many flights per day so you can SDC to get on a flight with better upgrade chances.

TFD
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
767 no better for upgrades

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
As far as SFO goes, look for when the spring schedule changes and they start flying 767s. There are many more F seats on those SFO flights.
I disagree with this. Typically the 767s are the domestic configuration and have 24 first class seats. Occasionally you'll find an international configuration but it is the exception not the rule. And this past year it happened more often in November/December/January than in peak season when presumably those aircraft are truly flying internationally.

All the 757s I've seen on this route have at least 24 first class seats, most 26.

So on a 767 there are more economy passengers vying for the same or few number of first class seats than on a 757.

Not better upgrade odds.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Contradancer
I disagree with this. Typically the 767s are the domestic configuration and have 24 first class seats. Occasionally you'll find an international configuration but it is the exception not the rule. And this past year it happened more often in November/December/January than in peak season when presumably those aircraft are truly flying internationally.

All the 757s I've seen on this route have at least 24 first class seats, most 26.

So on a 767 there are more economy passengers vying for the same or few number of first class seats than on a 757.

Not better upgrade odds.
ATL-SFO 767's are, for the most part, Internationally equipped 767's with 36 Business Class seats.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by WBurcham
ATL-SFO 767's are, for the most part, Internationally equipped 767's with 36 Business Class seats.
Thx WB - This was exactly my point.

Originally Posted by Contradancer

Not better upgrade odds.
Duh - The reason that they fly a 767 seasonally is because of increased *LEISURE* travel to SFO when the weather is nice on the West Coast. On average, leisure travelers have little/no status. So, I would much rather be competing with a bunch of leisure travelers on a 76x than a bunch of DMQM DM/PM business travelers on a 75x.

TFD
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
ATL-SAN is 763 non ER with no Biz Elite.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mnredfox
ATL-SAN is 763 non ER with no Biz Elite.
They mix in 752 + 763 on the non-stop ATL-SAN. Typically I recall seeing 2-3 763 M-F (I think its the 7:45AM flight SAN-ATL and the 9:50 SAN-ATL) with the rest being 752s.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:58 pm

767 configuration

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I confess I did not base my claim on anything resembling a randomized scientific search through delta.com. I based it on my experience since May 2009 flying ATL-SFO first flight Monday morning or sometimes 7pm or 9:30pm Sunday night and back Thursday night on the red eye or sometimes Friday morning 6am. From May through August at least the Monday morning flight was invariably a domestic 767. Then it changed to a mix of 757 and 767, usually 757, and only rarely (once? twice?) an internationally configured 767. The red eye was invariably a domestic 767 through mid-December, then a 757, also with an occasional, very occasional, internationally configured 767. The Friday morning flight back was less consistently a 767 but when it was it was domestic.

Given there are around six flights a day each way seven days a week I guess my sample size, well, was not good.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:06 pm

season not cabin?

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Duh - The reason that they fly a 767 seasonally is because of increased *LEISURE* travel to SFO when the weather is nice on the West Coast. On average, leisure travelers have little/no status. So, I would much rather be competing with a bunch of leisure travelers on a 76x than a bunch of DMQM DM/PM business travelers on a 75x.
I was unable to glean from your first post that you thought it was easier to upgrade in the summer. I thought you were saying it was easier to upgrade on a 767 because it's a bigger first class cabin. That is what I was disagreeing with.

Sounds like then you think season is the relevant factor, not configuration. I fly peak times of the week when there are lots of business folks. No doubt as you point out during summer while there are still lots of business folks at the peak times I fly there are also more leisure folks. Didn't matter for me. Maybe however it matters for off-peak (i.e. mid-week or mid-day) travel?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by apados
They mix in 752 + 763 on the non-stop ATL-SAN. Typically I recall seeing 2-3 763 M-F (I think its the 7:45AM flight SAN-ATL and the 9:50 SAN-ATL) with the rest being 752s.
Yes, most are 752's. I think 1 or two 763's as you say...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.