Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Defector-in-the-making

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1M, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I too have enjoyed the Delta product in the air with wonderful FA and Flight Crew as an assimilated NW flyer.

For me, based out of MCI, the biggest weakness is the TA. As others have stated, the 'new Delta' makes no effort to recognize those in the Elite check-in line and assist them at check-in quickly. For me, this is one area that would be easy to fix. What is the point of an Elite check-in line if you ignore it. It just sets Delta up to disappoint.

I recently experienced a cancelled flight and it was basically a cluster and took over an hour in line to get rebooked. I have not decided if it was the TA's or a lack of TA available that could handle the rebooking.

I am also tired of hearing "That is a ____ ticket and I can't help you". (Fill in the blank with either NW or DL). However, I think that issue is going away soon hopefully.

Best-
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by fdog
OTOH, when we went to the UA counter, they were polite, fast, knowledgable, and when a few hiccups appeared in the itn, they just plain handled it.
as with every airline, smaller UA stations are hit or miss. my experiences with OKC are definitely "hit" -- the agents there are great. sounds like DL is more in the "miss" category there.

my only advice would be to let your flying patterns and needs dictate your decision, and not one experience at one airport, no matter how bad.

i like UA as a primary carrier, and the 50k tier is nothing to sneeze at -- if economy plus and star gold status are worth something to you. as a purely domestic flyer, the appeal of NW/DL gold may be greater -- free elite upgrade opportunities are quite limited below 100k on UA.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
Just want to reiterate for those who haven't been there what an absolute dump the United Express terminal at IAD is. It's like waiting for a plane in somebody's basement, and it's always overcrowded. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by DLAtlPdx
Just want to reiterate for those who haven't been there what an absolute dump the United Express terminal at IAD is. It's like waiting for a plane in somebody's basement, and it's always overcrowded. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
I've only used IAD a couple times as an O/D airport with mainline UA and NW. I will gladly pay a premium, within reason to use DCA, when I need to travel to the area.

Sounds like Mesa's operation at IAD is right up there with ExpressJet & SkyWest at ORD "F" -- especially the basement gates. Mesa ... eek .. nightmares!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Defecting from DL makes sense for people who mostly earn their miles from flights and care about redeeming those miles for award tickets that aren't a rip-off in terms of miles and/or money.

Off-peak travel for roundtrip award tickets between the US Europe at even 60k DL miles is getting a lot harder even as general demand and airfares have dropped. As NWA.com is killed off by DL and as CO exits SkyTeam, DL is going to rip-off far more customers a lot more than is already the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.