Search

Unlimited flights for former exec's family

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Unlimited flights for former exec's family

I'm reposting this from another website:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...f_my_life_can/
One of my parents use to be an executive for one of the major airlines in the world, and as part of his retirement contract my whole family can fly for free for the rest of our lives. This is not the usual airline benefit where it is a standby ticket, rather, we pay for the ticket with unlimited 'fake' money in the same process a normal customer would. Also, I have the status of their middle tier frequent flier program, so it appears to employees that I fly 75k miles every financial quarter. AMA
Edit - Inspired by the lotto winner of $30 mill AMA, he flys around the world cause he got lucky, I do it too! Also for the most part, I don't do this alone, I have a brother 5 years older than me who travels with me a good bit, and a small number of my friends also have 'standard' benefits and fly standby with me also, so we jetset around 2 or 3 times a year together.
I suspect it's Delta/NWA from his description (worlds largest), but he mentions 'quarterly' calculations, also mentions the airlines 'removes' his flown miles every quarter.

Last edited by hg‎; Sep 19, 2009 at 10:59 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Pretty much every major airline does this for their senior executives. Usually it is disclosed in an 8-k filing with the SEC.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Not quite every major airline for all senior executives.

Delta used its bankruptcy to discharge their perpetual obligation to haul a couple butts (think Leo & Michelle) around in F. Leo took it quietly; Michelle went out screaming.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:47 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Not quite every major airline for all senior executives.

Delta used its bankruptcy to discharge their perpetual obligation to haul a couple butts (think Leo & Michelle) around in F. Leo took it quietly; Michelle went out screaming.
Last I had heard the bankruptcy judge sided with Michelle. Or am I thinking of someone else?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Pretty much every major airline does this for their senior executives. Usually it is disclosed in an 8-k filing with the SEC.
Agreed. Executive compensation can take many forms. This is wholly unremarkable. Why was GE paying for fax machines and flowers for Jack Welch? Because that's what he or his attorney negotiated.

It's great to to see standards of evidence call for posting a link to heresay in a blog.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Sep 20, 2009 at 8:41 am
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Agreed. Executive compensation can take many forms. This is wholly unremarkable. Why was GE paying for fax machines and flowers for Jack Welch? Because that's what he or his attorney negotiated.

It's great to to see standards of evidence call for posting a link to heresay in a blog.
Standards of evidence????????????

The OP is simply picking up on a discussion he found elsewhere on the web & trying to introduce it into FT.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by hg‎
I'm reposting this from another website:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...f_my_life_can/

I suspect it's Delta/NWA from his description (worlds largest), but he mentions 'quarterly' calculations, also mentions the airlines 'removes' his flown miles every quarter.
Under Bankrupcy the court can say, benefit is gone.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:34 pm

This type of arrangement is nothing new in the airline industry.

Grinstein and his family (extended) received lifetime flight benefits on DL (positive space in F class); Whitehurst and his family got the same deal (though IIRC it was only for ten years) when he left for Redhat;

And as stated above, these departure benefits are itemized in SEC filings. Not hard to find what former execs and their family are getting in terms of benefits.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Also, I have the status of their middle tier frequent flier program, so it appears to employees that I fly 75k miles every financial quarter.
This sentence confuses me. If it's 75k per quarter, that's 300k per year, which is not mid-tier. If it's 75k per year, on which airlines is that mid tier? UA perhaps? (and if UA, couldn't they have dumped this in BK?)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
Last I had heard the bankruptcy judge sided with Michelle. Or am I thinking of someone else?
Posted by Canarsie a couple years ago:

Former Delta Air Lines Executives No Longer Receive Perks After Bankruptcy...

With regard to Michelle Burns, this was the "contract" she set herself up with prior to her departure (source):
The Atlanta-based carrier also revealed that it is giving its former finance chief free flights for life in exchange for her consulting services over five years.

The agreement calls for former chief financial officer Michele Burns to provide consulting services to Delta until 2009 on issues related to her time at the airline.

In exchange, Burns, who left Delta in May to become CFO at bankrupt energy supplier Mirant Corp., will get unlimited free air travel anywhere Delta flies during her lifetime. The filing also said that Burns' spouse or domestic partner and any children -- until they reach age 19, or 23 if a full-time student -- would also get the free airfare. The company would not comment about Burns' family.

Burns will not receive any other compensation besides the free flights, which will continue after her consulting services are completed, spokeswoman Peggy Estes said. The agreement bars Burns during her service term from soliciting any Delta officer or director to go work somewhere else.
Delta moved very early in the bankruptcy to void & discharge these arrangements. Why would they want any continuing consulting from the ex-CFO who helped run the company into the ground?

Has anyone see Leo or Michelle mooching on DL metal since late 2005?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.