Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gifted medallion status...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

gifted medallion status...

Hi there, I am a silver on delta, my father is diamond, he can now gift one gold status to someone, if he gifts it to me , would that make me a platinum then?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by dpmt73
Hi there, I am a silver on delta, my father is diamond, he can now gift one gold status to someone, if he gifts it to me , would that make me a platinum then?
um...no.....if he gifts GOLD then you are GOLD.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
... slightly off topic and prob stupid: if I were to match to AA (with currently 250 MQM on Delta) I guess I would receive after a challenge Plat ... to then reach EXP: will I have to start with 0 Status Miles and subsequently fly 100k or only 25k?

Sorry - but I never did a match before ...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by dpmt73
What? I have absolutely no idea how you deduced that. You get what you are gifted, GOLD status.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I think the OP rationale was that if his father gifted Gold to someone without status, they would go from no status to Gold, which is essentially two levels.

I think the OP then assumed that since he was already silver, the gifted Gold would be worth two level increase, thus skipping Gold and landing him PM.

But I think we clarified that it switches whatever status you are to Gold. So if you wanted to be a not so nice person, you gift your PM or DM friend Gold status, send it in to DL in their name and watch them be downgraded with glee!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeFlyer_ATL
... slightly off topic and prob stupid: if I were to match to AA (with currently 250 MQM on Delta) I guess I would receive after a challenge Plat ... to then reach EXP: will I have to start with 0 Status Miles and subsequently fly 100k or only 25k?

Sorry - but I never did a match before ...
That would probably be a good question for the AA board as it seems like you want to know how AA would treat you in a match from your DL status.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by GoCanes
But I think we clarified that it switches whatever status you are to Gold. So if you wanted to be a not so nice person, you gift your PM or DM friend Gold status, send it in to DL in their name and watch them be downgraded with glee!
I would never do this, but I am certainly impressed by the evil way you think :-)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by EuropeFlyer_ATL
I'm a lurker from AA, so I think I can address this.

AA is a bit different from DL, in that we have EQ Miles and EQ points. EQ Miles are ACTUAL MILES FLOWN no matter what class of service or fare basis.

EQ Points are based on the actual miles flown multiplied by a multiplier that is determined by your fare basis. All paid F/J seats use a multiplier of 1.5. Select full-economy fares also give you 1.5 points. Discounted economy gives you 1 point, while deeply discounted economy gives you 0.5 points. In addition, there are some fare bases on certain international routes that earn 0 points (but you still get miles). Read the wiki for more info...

For your PLT challenge you need to earn 10,000 points (not miles) in 90 days. This can be done with as few as 6,666 miles with the right kind of fare.

Now for the meat and potatoes of your original question. From the AA Challenge Wiki: "Successful completion of a challenge does not provide a shortcut to the next higher elite level. When you complete a Platinum Challenge you are not half-way to Executive Platinum (EXP) status. To reach EXP status you will still have to earn 100,000 EQMs, 100,000 EQPs or 100 Flight Segments during a qualifying year. The actual number of EQMs and EQPs and Segments earned during the challenge count towards a higher status level during the remainder of the qualifying year using the regular AA elite qualification standards."

But, the good news is that since you're starting your challenge after June 16, your earned challenge status is valid until Feb 28, 2011. You have the ENTIRE calendar year 2010 to requalify for PLT or upgrade to EXP.

Be cautious, however. AA does not have rollover miles and any "extra" miles you fly this year do NOT count towards earning status next year.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by trojanman
I'm a lurker from AA, so I think I can address this.

AA is a bit different from DL, in that we have EQ Miles and EQ points. EQ Miles are ACTUAL MILES FLOWN no matter what class of service or fare basis.

EQ Points are based on the actual miles flown multiplied by a multiplier that is determined by your fare basis. All paid F/J seats use a multiplier of 1.5. Select full-economy fares also give you 1.5 points. Discounted economy gives you 1 point, while deeply discounted economy gives you 0.5 points. In addition, there are some fare bases on certain international routes that earn 0 points (but you still get miles). Read the wiki for more info...

For your PLT challenge you need to earn 10,000 points (not miles) in 90 days. This can be done with as few as 6,666 miles with the right kind of fare.

Now for the meat and potatoes of your original question. From the AA Challenge Wiki: "Successful completion of a challenge does not provide a shortcut to the next higher elite level. When you complete a Platinum Challenge you are not half-way to Executive Platinum (EXP) status. To reach EXP status you will still have to earn 100,000 EQMs, 100,000 EQPs or 100 Flight Segments during a qualifying year. The actual number of EQMs and EQPs and Segments earned during the challenge count towards a higher status level during the remainder of the qualifying year using the regular AA elite qualification standards."

But, the good news is that since you're starting your challenge after June 16, your earned challenge status is valid until Feb 28, 2011. You have the ENTIRE calendar year 2010 to requalify for PLT or upgrade to EXP.

Be cautious, however. AA does not have rollover miles and any "extra" miles you fly this year do NOT count towards earning status next year.
Thank you for your most helpful answer ... and shame on me .. some more research would have been in order before posting ...
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:37 pm

you're not the first to come up with this brilliant idea....but no dice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-get-gold.html
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
you're not the first to come up with this brilliant idea....but no dice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-get-gold.html
In fact, this from the nice people at customer service when asked if a gift of SE to one who is already SE results in GE:

Dear M---------------,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Unfortunately, you are not able to grant someone Silver status that
already has Silver Elite Status. You will need to select a member that
is currently at the Base level.

Thank you for choosing Northwest, KLM, Delta and our SkyTeam Alliance
airlines. We value your patronage and consider it a privilege to serve
your travel needs.

Sincerely,

Jenny Black
WorldPerks Customer Service Center
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by mmargel
In fact, this from the nice people at customer service when asked if a gift of SE to one who is already SE results in GE:

Dear M---------------,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Unfortunately, you are not able to grant someone Silver status that
already has Silver Elite Status. You will need to select a member that
is currently at the Base level.

Thank you for choosing Northwest, KLM, Delta and our SkyTeam Alliance
airlines. We value your patronage and consider it a privilege to serve
your travel needs.

Sincerely,

Jenny Black
WorldPerks Customer Service Center
But, I was told I could give Gold to someone who already has Gold (but will expire this year), and in essence I will extend him Gold for another year.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:36 pm

If you are gifting status....Im available....Im a base mbr...(employee), and I would love it! I buy more tkts these days anyway with the flt loads!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: DL GM, Mar Slv, HH Gld
The OP asks a great question - one I had myself about the Diamond "gift."

The idea is not silly -- if you have the Chase Marriott Rewards Visa card, you know that the "status" they "give" you for having the card actually comes as the number of nights required for the first tier of Elite status. Thus, you essentially are able to "build" on top of it. The DL equiv would be applying 25,000 MQM to the assignee's account, and letting the resulting status play out from there (simply FO, or further to GM, PM, DM).

This would be a very nice enhancement. And further, allowing rollover MQM to your own account (for future year use) or assign the MQMs to another member for same year use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.