Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Don't be expecting no upgrades on no companion certificate travel!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold

I recently booked some travel using my companion certificate that comes with the Delta Platimun Amex card. It was actually quite easy to use compared to earlier versions of the certificate. I recall that I just found the flights I wanted on-line (requires L, U, or T fare), and then called into the provided 800 number and it was taken care of. Two R/T transcon tickets connecting to a secondary destination for about $400 including all taxes and fees. Not bad. And I understand that it might even be easier now, with everything possible right on the website, no phone call required. Much, much better than the formerly required hubbub where it had to be booked via a travel agent or at the airport, typically with an extra booking fee.

However, there is this little issue regarding no upgrades available on this fare arrangement that you should know about, part of the fine print T&C for the certificate (even though they are actually booked as L, U, or T which are noramally upgradable). In my case I used the certificate for a business associate, not a family member or loved one, so no biggie if I got upgraded and he didn't. So I figured if I split up the reservation then it would probably be no big deal. No soap, even after spliting out the reservation SMS was still telling me that my ticket was still not allowing me to request an upgrade (but I was always free to ask at the airport). So departure date comes, outbound flight was pretty full and it appeared that F had already checked in full, so no use asking. Then, on the return segment, first leg was on a CRJ700 so no upgrades for anyone, but the checkin kiosk did allow me to at least request an upgrade on the connecting leg (ATL to SAN on a 767 with BE service). Sweat! So now in ATL, Sky Club agent say "no dice" even though Y is full and there are 9 seats left in J with only 2 on the upgrade list (how often does that happen on a transcon out of ATL? Never minus just now?), but still, "Feel free to ask the gate agent". Head on down to the gate, Zone 1 is boarding, gate signage confirms 7 seats open in J, zero in Y. So I check in with the agent. Smile, ask nice, answer: Sorry Mr. PM, your fare is not ungradeable, nothing I can do. Please take your seat in 16F. So at least I had a good view of all those empty J seats filling up with giddy non-revs while I reviewed the EATS menu.

I not really complaining, I guess. The upgrade exclusion was in the T&C fine print, and I knew it. But just in case any of you thought there was a work around, I couldn't find it. But feel free to check at the gate.

Disclaimer: I don't have the reserve card. Maybe that works differently. If so, I'd be interested in hearing it.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
The T&C on the reserve card does state that the certs are upgradable. You can also book them in F. I have not used mine yet so I can't comment from personal experience. My gut tells me that the upgrade thing would be easier said than done.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
As you say, the T&C are very explicit about this, so complaining seems a bit much.

Several years ago, before DL had integrated the companion fare basis with their upgrade logic, many of us had good luck splitting the reservations and then having the upgrades go through. As has been documented on the board many times, this loophole closed a while back.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Marylou
The T&C on the reserve card does state that the certs are upgradable. You can also book them in F. I have not used mine yet so I can't comment from personal experience. My gut tells me that the upgrade thing would be easier said than done.
Well I think that has some real value. I knew that the reserve certs could be booked in first (presumably purchase a F, J, or A fare and get 2 for 1, right?), but are you saying that even the coach class fares bought on the cert can be upgraded? Do you know on what basis? That is, once booking into L, U, or T do you follow the same upgrade rules as your elite status would normally allow (5 days out for Play, 3 for gold, etc?), or is it more like a companion upgrade (i.e. you both upgrade at 12 hours out, space available)?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
"It's in the T&C!" doesn't make it a palitable business practice. If the companion ticket is not used, then the passenger is entitled to upgrades. But if the companion certificate is used, then the ability to upgrade is lost.

That is not a certificate for a free ticket. That's a certificate for a ticket at the cost of upgrade opportunity.

I think it's pretty silly for airlines to engage in behavior like this. It's why I place a value on the certificates of precisely $0.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
The title says to expect an upgrade!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
The title says to expect an upgrade!
English as a 2nd language maybe?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
That's right, Don't be expecting no proper English. Must be a middle school dropout.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by PaulLB
Well I think that has some real value. I knew that the reserve certs could be booked in first (presumably purchase a F, J, or A fare and get 2 for 1, right?), but are you saying that even the coach class fares bought on the cert can be upgraded? Do you know on what basis? That is, once booking into L, U, or T do you follow the same upgrade rules as your elite status would normally allow (5 days out for Play, 3 for gold, etc?), or is it more like a companion upgrade (i.e. you both upgrade at 12 hours out, space available)?
Paul,
I received an email a while back stating the certs were upgradable, and (naturally) now I can't find it. It was a generic email asking me to upgrade to the Reserve card, which I alreadly have, so I guess I deleted it.

I would think that you would have to book an upgradable fare, and the normal rules would apply.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:36 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
So the upgrade loophole has been closed. Is that also true of the loophole that allowed my companions to earn Skymiles on future incarnations of the cert, despite t&c that denied Skymiles for the companion?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by randidliyo
That's right, Don't be expecting no proper English. Must be a middle school dropout.
I say best thread title ever!!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by randidliyo
Dont be not diss'n the Op....errrr
Do be not diss'n the OP......errrr

Please do not disrespect the Original posters use of the English Language. It ain't not dat bad, jus sayin.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by tkey75
I say best thread title ever!!
I read the title as someone who was trying to be funny.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Traveller
I read it seriously at first, but came to appreciate its beauty.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller
You're such a glass-half-full person!

Don't be expecting no more praise on no Internet Bulletin Boards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.