Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allowable carryons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Allowable carryons

I would like to take 4 pounds of schrimps on a flight.

If so, how would I keep it cold.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of carryon? And with TSA? I would appreciate any comments, you may have?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Well Delta says it is OK for a carry on as long as it uses frozen gel packs to keep it cold. No dry ice (or wet either) allowed.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...bles/index.jsp

No idea about the TSA.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by indufan
Well Delta says it is OK for a carry on as long as it uses frozen gel packs to keep it cold. No dry ice (or wet either) allowed.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...bles/index.jsp

No idea about the TSA.
Tough challenge convincing TSA that the gel packs aren't just frozen liquid. But, if the OP can get his 4 pounds of shrimp into a one-quart zip lock bag, then he is golden.

Or enlist some traveling companions to assist. TSA has not seen through the security risk of multiple people each carrying on a quart of shrimp.

The solution here is to put the shrimp into checked luggage.

Almost anything (unfortunately) can still be put on a plane in checked luggage.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Almost anything (unfortunately) can still be put on a plane in checked luggage.
Isn't that the truth. It scares me some of the things people seem to check in their luggage. I am also shocked by those glass displays TSA puts up in the airport as to what you can't carry on to a plane. In one I saw a chainsaw once. I mean come on who seriously thinks they can carry a chainsaw onto a plane if you can't even take on a pocket knife?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by griffey3032
Isn't that the truth. It scares me some of the things people seem to check in their luggage. I am also shocked by those glass displays TSA puts up in the airport as to what you can't carry on to a plane. In one I saw a chainsaw once. I mean come on who seriously thinks they can carry a chainsaw onto a plane if you can't even take on a pocket knife?
I want to know how much the federal government has invested in chainsaws in those displays. Honestly, I doubt anyone ever tried.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I was at JFK once an an idiot wanted to carry on an AXE.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by indufan
I want to know how much the federal government has invested in chainsaws in those displays. Honestly, I doubt anyone ever tried.
On some of those displays there is a little sign saying all the items in that display had been confiscated. So somebody must have tried.

But heck, I once took a medium sized outboard motor on an international flight once so anything's possible.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The TSA won't let you take frozen gel packs on board if they catch you with them... they consider it to be a liquid.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lofly

Has anyone had any experience with this type of carryon? And with TSA? I would appreciate any comments, you may have?

Thanks in advance.
I've taken about 4 pounds of lobster tail before and not had a problem. I put a couple of tails in a ziploc baggie, put some water in there and then froze the whole thing. Had 4 bags total and then put them in a small soft sided cooler (the type you might pack a lunch in) right before I left for the airport. When I went through security, they did inspect my bag and saw the frozen tails but didn't say anything. Everything was still frozen when I got to my destination about 9 hours later.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by justhere
I've taken about 4 pounds of lobster tail before and not had a problem. I put a couple of tails in a ziploc baggie, put some water in there and then froze the whole thing. Had 4 bags total and then put them in a small soft sided cooler (the type you might pack a lunch in) right before I left for the airport. When I went through security, they did inspect my bag and saw the frozen tails but didn't say anything. Everything was still frozen when I got to my destination about 9 hours later.
Now if you get diverted to rochester.....
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: DL HH
Originally Posted by lofly

Thanks in advance.
Bring ziplock bags of ice... chuck the ice right before the security check point and buy 4 glasses of ice from a food vendor in the secured area and refill the bags...
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Now if you get diverted to rochester.....
You know, come to think of it, I think I was flying CO that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.