Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recourse for inflight PED's not working?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Compensation for IFE / AVOD not working?

As I stated in an earlier post, my g/f and I flew back from SXM to MDW via ATL. On the SXM/ATL flight her AVOD screen wasn't accurately responding to our touch and my audio did not work. More, our dumb armrest wouldn't stay up. Four hours of sheer retardedness. We did alert the FA and they tried rebooting, etc, no avail. Tried masking tape to keep the armrest up -- doesn't stick will to the seats.

This was in economy.

Any possible recourse or should I not expect anything? If people are known to have rec'd something for similar experiences, what is the average compensation? Thanks!

Last edited by hellyea; Jul 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by hellyea
As I stated in an earlier post, my g/f and I flew back from SXM to MDW via ATL. On the SXM/ATL flight her PED screen wasn't accurately responding to our touch and my audio did not work. More, our dumb armrest wouldn't stay up. Four hours of sheer retardedness. We did alert the FA and they tried rebooting, etc, no avail. Tried masking tape to keep the armrest up -- doesn't stick will to the seats.

This was in economy.

Any possible recourse or should I not expect anything? If people are known to have rec'd something for similar experiences, what is the average compensation? Thanks!
Email DL. They generally give DL Dollars or SkyMiles for malfunctioning AVOD.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: Loyal to the Deal
I'd think they'd do something with miles also. I only had this happen to me on one flight from SJU-ATL. My screen was out completely. I was in a full FC cabin and when I raised my issue, the flight crew (who up to that point were rather unfriendly) became the most accomodating staff I've ever flown with. They found an empty row in economy, served me my meal there, referred to me by name at every turn, and I never had my drink get empty. There must be some sort of recourse, especially if you're elite, otherwise, I can't really see the extra effort they went through to make sure I was happy. Granted, having it happen in a full FC cabin versus in economy are two different things.

Huh...that's kind of funny. I've become numb to mediocre service so the least bit of extra attention becomes memorable.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I was in Economy. The FA were very nice and tried multiple times to fix the various issues. I'd rather get Delta Dollars than miles as eCredits are easier to use, no restrictions, etc. I sent off a detailed email to them so I'll await their response and see what they say.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'Recourse' and 'PED' may be unsuccessful search terms, but 'compensation', 'avod', and 'ife' will bring up recent threads.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Anyone else see PED and think of steriods and baseball.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:14 pm

I saw PED and thought Personal Explosive Device ...

When I'm traveling with my wife (to say nothing of my gf, not around my wife anyway) we don't need someone else's entertainment. And the armrest would not find space to fall down between us.

Edward
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I thought of Personal Electronic Device...
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
I thought of Personal Electronic Device...
Actually, I thought Portable Electronic Defibrillator -- and was wondering how unbelievable the conversation was going to be about bargaining miles for medical emergencies..
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta, United
"Any recourse for inflight PED's not working?"

One should always bring a backup device, it is called a book. Or if in window seat look out the window and watch the world go by at 10km high.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
This happened to me on an international flight and they issued a $100 DL voucher. Check out this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-flights.html
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to give this thread closure. Got a response from DL Web Customer Service today and rec'd $100 vouchers for each of us two passengers. Seems to fall in line as the standard compensation for an int'l flight.

Works great for us as we used previous VDB e-credits for this flight. Thanks to all for their input.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta DM/3MM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Hey - these are not limited to baseball - and fortunately unlike the OP's, mine are working great!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Email DL. They generally give DL Dollars or SkyMiles for malfunctioning AVOD.
My wife just got a $50 voucher because her TV wasn't working on ATL-SAN. (4+ hours!)

We wrote a stern, but polite e-mail via the website and 1 week later...we received it in her e-mail.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:47 am

I'm really proud of our group that no one referred the OP to the CofC. Seems like there's usually at least one.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.