Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concerned about what SkyClub has become

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:02 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by c_d
Yes, have been in there yesterday. Totally superior to any CRC,SC I have ever been in. The lounge features awesome fruit/hot food/salad/cereals/soups/cake/rolls, etc. YET seems to pay for itself. So do most AF lounges. I don't know whats the issue with DL SC is but I suspect just profit maximising ...
US airlines just don't know how to run an operation that turns a profit, with very few exceptions. Unfortunate, but it permeates every area of their operation, including lounges.

Look at how the industry executives bounce between airlines. You would think that the boards of directors would eventually get a clue and find outsiders, but the boards of most companies are in bed with the executives so that will never happen.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by fti
US airlines just don't know how to run an operation that turns a profit, with very few exceptions. Unfortunate, but it permeates every area of their operation, including lounges.

Look at how the industry executives bounce between airlines. You would think that the boards of directors would eventually get a clue and find outsiders, but the boards of most companies are in bed with the executives so that will never happen.
I agree, but I thought that on most US airlines, lounges, FF programs, and cargo were actually profitable.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
I am a paying member of SkyClubs and have been for several years. Nevertheless, I do think they can be greatly improved.

The best domestic clubs that I have been in are the former WC in Memphis and the former DL BE Club in E concourse, ATL.

What makes MEM WC so much better than the average SkyClub is that it is very nicely appointed with a great deal of room AND you don't have to go through a bartender to get a coke (yet). That is the single most irritating thing about SkyClubs to me, though I'm not intending to revive the debate about that.

The other thing the the MEM club seems to have mastered is breaking the space up into enough discrete areas that even if there are loud children and families -- I also agree that this is a problem in ATL SkyClubs which the club management does absolutely nothing about -- you can move to another part of the club and find relative peace and quiet. Also, each of those spaces/rooms have good variety in tv programming, while others have no tv, thus catering to a variety of tastes and moods of its members.

Finally, the very best thing about all WC's -- many of which outside of hubs ARE inferior to Crown Rooms -- is the fabulous, easy-to-use, coffeemakers. It is criminal that Delta's coffee in Crown Rooms is so bad and so tackily served when a simple alternative like the WC coffee machine is available and seems to work well.

In short, I still prefer the SkyClub of any sort to the zoo that is a modern airport concourse, but I'd like to see Delta move alot closer to WC's with their SkyClub model than the other way around.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by fti
I never said you did. Please re-read what I wrote. I think YOU need to take a deep breath
My apologies, took context out of tone.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I would certainly agree with cutting the AMEX crowd if it was not a revenue source.. But if revenue is the reason for not cutting, why cut PP?
Undermining hawking DL reserve cards?

The thing I find most interesting about the DM level is it removes any incentive to have the DL Reserve card. The DL reserve card has a $450 annual fee, of which most of the value comes from the club membership. If you already have a free membership, and you are already at the top of the upgrade queue as a DM, what do you need a Reserve card for?

I've already refrained from getting a Reserve card because I already had a 3-year club membership, and no reason to pay twice for the same thing. (Although with the past month's changes/announcements, I won't be getting one because I'll be switching to Flexperks.)
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
If it's true that the DM club gets membership for almost nothing, then I'd be PO'd as a paid member. The means you membership dollars are floating Jeff's new benefits and the only thing you get in return is worse amenities.
Not almost nothing. NOTHING.

Although, I don't mind DMs getting it for free. What I DO mind is not getting a refund on the unused portion of my 3-year membership I have if I qualify for a free membership through DM or Reserve Amex. I don't even need a pro-rated refund on the three-year fee - just give me back the difference between the one year and three-year price!

That's just basic respect for the consumer. Not doing it just shows the kind of company you're dealing with.

As for the lounges themselves, I never really cared how the place looked so long as it was clean. The old NW WC in Terminal 2 at LAX was very run-down, but it had legit food options and self-serve alcohol. The SkyClub in Terminal 5 looks much nicer/newer, but there's nothing to eat after 7 PM!

I also don't really mind noise/commotion, and can accept that at peak travel times, the lounges are going to be crowded.

Just give me some food after 7 PM please! It's especially painful to not have food options for 5 hours when you're waiting for that 12:40 AM redeye departure.

Do you think we can bring outside food into the lounges now that they can't tell us there is food in the lounges?

Last edited by raehl311; Jul 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I had a great shower at ATL E after having to scrum for over an hour at baggage claim, despite the "priority" tag on my bag. What a joke. The shower was like heaven.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by raehl311
Do you think we can bring outside food into the lounges now that they can't tell us there is food in the lounges?
That is my plan and if they say something, we will have an honest discussion about it. If they make me stand right outside the lounge door to eat a snack, so be it.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated

Although, I don't mind DMs getting it for free. What I DO mind is not getting a refund on the unused portion of my 3-year membership I have if I qualify for a free membership through DM or Reserve Amex. I don't even need a pro-rated refund on the three-year fee - just give me back the difference between the one year and three-year price!

That's just basic respect for the consumer. Not doing it just shows the kind of company you're dealing with.
I have never sided with Delta on things here, but I do with this one... Why do you deserve a refund? The SkyMiles program conditions changed, as they are subject to without warning, adding a new elite level that has a perk of lounge access... SkyClub conditions are also subject to change without warning, and you wouldn't get a refund from that either.

A great customer service move would be to suspend your paid lounge membership while you get it for free as a diamond, and let it run out once you no longer qualify for Diamond.

But a refund?

Did someone feed me Delta koolaid when I wasn't looking? I can't believe I am posting this.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by james318
I have never sided with Delta on things here, but I do with this one... Why do you deserve a refund?
A partial refund is the right thing to do when change is significant. I paid with an expectation for receiving something. To dramatically change what that something is, and hide behind the small print that says "We can change whatever we want later!", while possibly legally defensible, is not a good way to make your customers feel good about your company.

And I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Why SHOULDN'T DL refund the difference between the one-year-and 3-year membership if, after significant changes, I want out after a year? Is it really more important for the company to hang on to the few hundred dollars? Am I supposed to expect that DL will make a habit of charging me for A, then providing B, and thinking it's OK to keep the money?

Do I have the RIGHT to a refund? Maybe not. But it's still the "Don't be a dick to your customers" thing to do.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC

Delta will add whatever is left of your paid membership onto the end of your free DM membership years. You do not lose them.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I really hope everyone who is posting here also takes the time to email Delta (or NW via TTU) to share your displeasure of what SkyClub has become.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
thrown out

Originally Posted by fti
That is my plan and if they say something, we will have an honest discussion about it. If they make me stand right outside the lounge door to eat a snack, so be it.
I was asked to leave the DL lounge in ATL - concourse B i think it was last month- after opening my food to eat there in a quiet corner. I thought the attendant was only kidding b/c he said it with a smile on his face when he approached and wagged his finger and said no no, no food in here. I said playfully and smiled back at him that there is no food served in here and the food i've brought is nondescript without any strange odors so i'm sure its ok to bend the rules. He smiled and went away and at that point i thought he was still just playing with me. He came back 5 minutes later with the lady from the front desk and she advised me in front of everyone watching that i needed to throw my food away immediately or leave the club. it was pretty humilating.

i don't understand the prohibition against food. You have hungry people who shouldn't have to choose between eating and sitting in the relaxing lounge that they have paid for.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ULDB65
Delta will add whatever is left of your paid membership onto the end of your free DM membership years. You do not lose them.
That's great, but I didn't buy a membership in 2012, or 2015, or 2018. I did not buy something for DL to deliver at some arbitrary point years in the future. I bought a membership for 2009, 2010, and 2011, for a product that included food as long as the lounge was open.

I really don't see why the concept of a refund is such a hard thing to grasp. I paid for something. I have not used it yet. After I have paid the money, the product has changed such that had the company I bought the product told me about the changes up-front, I would not have made the purchase. To keep a customer's money that you only have because you did not give them all the information about the product at the time of purchase, especially when you have not even provided the product yet, is just plain poor behavior.

I am not happy about it. There is a perfectly fair resolution that would make me happy. It would be nice to have a company take a step back and say "Hey, we've made some changes here that drastically change the value of our product, and many of our best customers trusted us with their money when buying long-term subscriptions to this product we changed. It would b a good idea to give those customers the option of a refund on the portion of the product they have not yet used."

Instead of telling me why DL has the right to keep my money, can anyone give me one good reason why it would not be fair to give it back?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by jenniparks
i don't understand the prohibition against food. You have hungry people who shouldn't have to choose between eating and sitting in the relaxing lounge that they have paid for.
I actually do understand the prohibition - they don't want the mess. And I fully support that restriction - when food is offered as it used to be. But when I have a 12:40 AM flight and you took the excuse for food you had away at 7 PM, I should be able to bring something in. Otherwise there is no way to both use the lounge and not starve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.