Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buddy pass virgin stuck in frankfurt - advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
We won't get ridiculous complaints like this thread if buddy passes were simply abolished. There is no such thing as buddy pass for most Asian Airlines.
Why would Delta want to get rid of them? According to the OP, Delta is making a killing off of these things. Great source of revenue!!!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Air Lines
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I would suggest to geckorlz that although you went through an ordeal, you did get home- and furthermore you may get your friend in trouble if you keep posting about this in a public forum (I have no idea but it is just a thought).
You'd be surprised how resourceful people can be.

Last edited by N301DQ; Jul 18, 2009 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I just felt I needed to chime in on this thread... I never had much advice for the OP because I don't have access to anything more than EF, but I just feel like the overall tone of this thread does not convey either the "Delta Spirit" we've come to know from its employees or the general helpfulness and kindness of those on the Delta Forum. I agree with everyone's sentiments: the OP was ignorant (using that word in its truest sense: lacking knowledge). I was certainly young and stupid when I was in college (heck, I still am as attempting to purchase my first home has shown). I remember being presented with a similar situation back in the college years. I had access to a Buddy Pass through a friend, but being the type of person who does not like to wait I decided to go ahead and purchase a confirmed ticket. All in all, the OP has learned many lessons from the experience and continuing a discussion through to 5-6 pages about how stupid he was is completely counterproductive.

If your first thread (and first 5 posts) on FT resulted in a thread like this, would you continue posting?

OP: Welcome to FT and glad you made it home!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
All in all, the OP has learned many lessons from the experience and continuing a discussion through to 5-6 pages about how stupid he was is completely counterproductive.
What's completely counterproductive is starting this thread in the first place. If you're traveling NRSA, don't come to Flyertalk looking for advice. Go directly to your employee sponsor.

End of debate.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
If your first thread (and first 5 posts) on FT resulted in a thread like this, would you continue posting?
I completely disagree with your characterization of the responses to the OP. Posters on this board offered many great and helpful suggestions, the OP took one of them, and got home business class.
Where I part company with the OP is over his criticisms of DL, when DL did nothing wrong that I can ascertain.
Why is unjustly bashing DL and its employees acceptable, and disagreeing with those bashing comments not acceptable?

Last edited by dickinson; Jul 18, 2009 at 10:16 am Reason: misspelling
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by N301DQ
What's completely counterproductive is starting this thread in the first place. If you're traveling NRSA, don't come to Flyertalk looking for advice. Go directly to your employee sponsor.

End of debate.
And yet FT gave him plenty of great advice that no doubt helped the OP immensely. Well done FT. If the FT community felt the thread was inappropriate, then they would not have replied. Furthermore, the OP says that the employee sponsor himself was new to the game and didn't really know what was going on. Please leave moderation of threads to the moderators.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
And yet FT gave him plenty of great advice that no doubt helped the OP immensely. Well done FT. If the FT community felt the thread was inappropriate, then they would not have replied. Furthermore, the OP says that the employee sponsor himself was new to the game and didn't really know what was going on. Please leave moderation of threads to the moderators.
Pot, meet kettle.

You just criticized me doing for something you did in the very same post. You're on a roll! Indeed, I'd venture to say my perspective on this particular topic is probably a little more informed than yours.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Pot, meet kettle.

You just criticized me doing for something you did in the very same post. You're on a roll! Indeed, I'd venture to say my perspective on this particular topic is probably a little more informed than yours.
Convenient response. More informed? Please. Believe what you need to.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Convenient response. More informed? Please. Believe what you need to.
Convenient response. Tell me, what would a AA EXP, LH Senator, BMI Gold, and EK Gold know about Delta's non-revenue pass policies?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
"The Buddy Pass program was developed as a way to allow employees and retirees to share their travel privileges with people outside their immediate, pass-eligible family. You are expected to know those to whom you give these privileges, and you are responsible for their behavior when they travel."

"Be sure to remind your buddy pass guests that their travel is space available and that they may need to make alternative travel arrangements if space is not available on Delta flights."
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
Originally Posted by geckorlz
I am very grateful to the staff at the airport who were willing to help me with advice and suggestions, and I don't think it was out of place for me to ask - I was also a paying passenger. Non-rev my ..., from what I've read online Delta makes plenty of revenue off buddy passes. I welcome plenty more oversight from Delta over buddy passes, I feel like they let people unknowingly get into this mess because there is a $ to be made off it, especially if they get themselves stuck.

As a side note, they lost my baggage in FRA on tuesday as well, and getting that back was its own ordeal filled with facing a very inefficient and poorly structured system, with apathetic staff to top it off.
WOW now i'm beginning to regret spending 30 minutes of my own time pulling 2 days worth of flight loads off travelnet for you. Your attitude is PRECISELY why my employee, whom i'm a travel companion, does NOT give out their buddypasses.

1. No, it isn't out of place for you to seek help from airport agents. However, I get the distinct impression that at some point you overstayed your welcome with them and they told you "you are a nonrev". I can only imagine the conversation.

2. No, you are NOT a paying passenger. You are a yield fare, standby, space available passenger. A nonrev. Again, I can imagine the airport conversation.

3. Nonrevs (you and I when I choose to) have ZERO rights. None, nadda, zilch, ney, non.

4. It's summer and it's Europe. Come off the attitude that you had no idea flights would be busy. No one to blame but yourself and the employee who gave it to you. Beyond that, maybe the flights did look good two days or a day out. A lot can happen beyond the employees, your, or Delta's control.

5. As far as your luggage. You fill out a form like the rest of us. When they find it, YOU go pick it up. Employees here can correct me if i'm wrong, but delivery is reserved for revenue customers. Apathetic staff? How about a pissy buddypass who feels they are somehow important?

6 Business class a consolation prize? Well your listed for BE to begin with.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson
OK, if I understand the thread correctly, the OP decided, after traveling around Europe for six weeks, to return from Germany on a buddy pass right after schools got out for the summer in Germany, resulting in full flights. Therefore he sought help on this board in getting home. Several posters offered great advice, and the OP went to BRU and ended up flying back right away BUSINESS CLASS which the OP called a "small consolation prize"
So now the OP wants to take shots at DL for all of his "inconvenience" and indicates that DL is making great revenue from buddy passes and should be providing a higher level of service to buddy passers, presumably so they can fly on the exact day and flight they prefer, without the inconvenience of dealing with pesky revenue passengers.
I have heard of a sense of entitlement, but this is way over the top.
^^^^
Not to mentioned accusations of theft (okay desired theft) aimed at Delta employees.
geckorlz, if you're still reading this, I suggest you show your posts to your employee buddy, so he can have the opportunity of NEVER offering you another buddy pass.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status

End of debate.
Sigh. I beg to differ. It wasn't counterproductive at all. OP posted here, got some useful information and used it to get home. I'd call that productive.

It's comments like yours that are counterproductive. OP had a question and came to FT for help. That's what this forum is for. Don't want to help? Click on over to something else.

Where in the rules does it say that NRSA pax cannot ask for advice on FT? He/she had already stated the problem with the sponsor and while I do take issue with some of his/her opinions, I'll just chalk that up to being young. (You were there about 4 years ago if your profile is correct.)

I (and some "old timers" as well) don't hang out here as much anymore because the tendency for nastiness has increased in the past few months.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marylou
Sigh. I beg to differ. It wasn't counterproductive at all. OP posted here, got some useful information and used it to get home. I'd call that productive.

It's comments like yours that are counterproductive. OP had a question and came to FT for help. That's what this forum is for. Don't want to help? Click on over to something else.

Where in the rules does it say that NRSA pax cannot ask for advice on FT? He/she had already stated the problem with the sponsor and while I do take issue with some of his/her opinions, I'll just chalk that up to being young. (You were there about 4 years ago if your profile is correct.)

I (and some "old timers" as well) don't hang out here as much anymore because the tendency for nastiness has increased in the past few months.
+1
Old Jul 18, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Originally Posted by geckorlz
Got home at last. Took the ICE train to BRU for the 7/15 flight and got on no problem, business class as a small consolation prize.
Meanwhile, chances are that a PM revenue passenger on an M fare sat in the back of the bus because there were no upgrades available on a PMU until inside 24 hours! Consolation prize? Jeff is right for once, this is broken system when an ingrate like the non-rev OP is sitting in Biz and considers it a small consolation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.