Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GSO losing mainline in Sept.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by fdex727
At UA: we had 5 dailies to ORD consisting of 727/737's and a mix of J-32/41's to IAD with one to two 757's at furniture market
IIRC too, wasn't there a strange UA mainline flight to CLT that was part of a triangular route from ORD-CLT-GSO-ORD or v/v?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
IIRC too, wasn't there a strange UA mainline flight to CLT that was part of a triangular route from ORD-CLT-GSO-ORD or v/v?
Yes there was. UA also had a ORD-GSO-ILM flight, a 727 as I recall. That seemed a strange route.

I also remember DL had departures past 9 PM to ATL. Now the place is deserted after about 5:30 in the afternoon.

I fly out of GSO frequently and the loads always seem good. I agree the yields can't be that bad, but what do I know.

Does US still have a lounge in the south terminal, or has that been deep-sixed as well? I haven't been in the south terminal since they extended the north and DL moved over.

Last edited by DLdweeb; Jul 8, 2009 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Does US still have a lounge in the south terminal, or has that been deep-sixed as well? I haven't been in the south terminal since they extended the north and DL moved over.
Yes, US still has a small lounge in GSO. It is the only airline with a lounge at GSO. Now that I fly DL and ST exclusively, it's a pain to get a gate pass and go through security to access the lounge, and then go through security again when heading down to the DL/NW/CO concourse; ie the two concourses are not connected airside.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862
With OLCI, I could arrive at the airport 35 minutes before departure and still not rush to the gate - my record is getting to the airport at 5:43 am for a 6 am MD-80 to ATL about 4 years ago and still making it on.
Very much agreed. My record isn't quite as good, but I once pulled into the parking garage at 1:18 for my 2:00 flight and was just fine. Living about an hour away, it's nice not to have to show up too far in advance on the occasions I find a better fare or better timed flight than RDU. I doubt I'll be seeing much of GSO after this.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gsorob
Yes, US still has a small lounge in GSO. It is the only airline with a lounge at GSO. Now that I fly DL and ST exclusively, it's a pain to get a gate pass and go through security to access the lounge, and then go through security again when heading down to the DL/NW/CO concourse; ie the two concourses are not connected airside.
GSO still has the US Airways Club, which just signed a new contrct for three years to remain at the airport. Also, the club was refurbished with the help of local furniture companies from High Point. The GSO club is one of the top producers for incremental revenue (day passes, Priority Pass fees, etc) according to the Club agents. The lounge wins internal recognition many months from the Tempe headquarters.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
GSO still has the US Airways Club, which just signed a new contrct for three years to remain at the airport. Also, the club was refurbished with the help of local furniture companies from High Point. The GSO club is one of the top producers for incremental revenue (day passes, Priority Pass fees, etc) according to the Club agents. The lounge wins internal recognition many months from the Tempe headquarters.
I'd say that recognition from Tempe may not always be a positive ;-) It's like getting recognized by Kim Jong Il... who knows if it's really positive.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
According to agents at GSO, the station manager is trying to at least get some RJs with FC (CR9s). Mainline has not been reloaded into the schedule as was "promised" by the station manager saying this was only a temporary move. Gate agents say the first three morning flights oversell quite frequently these days. Maybe the CR9 or even a DC9 would be a happy medium.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well that stinks! GSO is really a nice airport. I sometimes use it when CLT gets cost prohibitive (although haven't used it with DL). Hopefully, mainline will return. See it happening more and more. ROC has lost mainline to DTW on DL North. Tis the way of things alas.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So excited to see GSO get one mainline flight back for the summer schedule. It will be one of 12 daily flights, which is in line with its "hey dey" in the past before mainline was jettisoned altogether. Hopefully, this is a sign that DL sees promise in the premium market at DL and will keep at least one mainline bird around (maybe DC-9?) in addition to some CR7s with FC for good. THe 9-10 CRJs per day were really a blow to the premium travel market at GSO according to the ground staff and many local travelers. Let's hope it can hang on for good this time!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So excited to see GSO get one mainline flight back for the summer schedule. It will be one of 12 daily flights, which is in line with its "hey dey" in the past before mainline was jettisoned altogether. Hopefully, this is a sign that DL sees promise in the premium market at DL and will keep at least one mainline bird around (maybe DC-9?) in addition to some CR7s with FC for good. THe 9-10 CRJs per day were really a blow to the premium travel market at GSO according to the ground staff and many local travelers. Let's hope it can hang on for good this time!
What is the flight # and time of departure for this mainline flight?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by gsorob
What is the flight # and time of departure for this mainline flight?
DL2935 Lv GSO 630a Ar ATL 751a M88
DL2778 Lv ATL 830p Ar GSO 950p M88

4 of the last 5 ATL-GSO flights this summer will have F (the only one that won't is the 1045p to GSO). The 630a, 730a and 840a flights out of GSO to ATL all will have F as well (plus the 716p departure).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mersk862
DL2935 Lv GSO 630a Ar ATL 751a M88
DL2778 Lv ATL 830p Ar GSO 950p M88

4 of the last 5 ATL-GSO flights this summer will have F (the only one that won't is the 1045p to GSO). The 630a, 730a and 840a flights out of GSO to ATL all will have F as well (plus the 716p departure).
Too bad about the 10.45pm as that's the one Im on the most! Oh well. And, I also have a feeling some of those CR7s will get downgraded to CR2s as DL frequently does...they show the larger aircraft a few months out and then downgrade it in a round of schedule changes. Glad to see 12 flights though, that's great frequency!

Edited to add: it appears the MD88 is going to be seasonal based on ground staff reports, but let's hope that changes!! Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.