Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Purchase an Economy seat now and upgrade to BusinessElite for 1 mile.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase an Economy seat now and upgrade to BusinessElite for 1 mile.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
There goes the Z inventory....

Check other fares first - when I went to London in May it was cheaper to book an I fare than it was to go M or B w/a PMU.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
This promotion is basically nothing other than a summer promotional Business Elite fare, basically an M-UP subject to Z inventory.

I guess Delta thought the marketing angle would be better promoting it as a 1 mile upgrade than it would be simply offering an I fare at M fare levels.

Given that the Delta beancounters are world class, I have a hard time figuring out how they missed the fact that if Delta simply published the I fare at the M fare rate, people could just buy the tickets online and be done with it. As it is, people will have to tie up res agents looking for Z inventory and booking the upgrades, which is a relatively expensive use of employee time.
I agree with your general comment and believe for the typical FlyerTalk poster and other aviation experts, an I fare offering at M fare levels would be a clear sale. However, I could be wrong, but from a pure marketing perspective the 1-mile offer connects much more to the average DL frequent flyer who thinks a discussion of I, M, B, Y fares is like engaging in a foreign language conversation.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:37 pm

While these upgrades might not be much cheaper than some of the I fares to Europe, this is a great deal TPAC. Just booked a laughably cheap PVG trip.

Front of the bus revenues must be completely drying up...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
What almost perfect timing! I've already flown one leg of my RT ATL-ICN on a Z upgraded M. The 50,000 miles had already been deducted. I called up and asked if it was possible to trade 25K miles for a 1 mile upgrade for the remaining flight (ICN-ATL) and they said yes. No need to reissue the ticket, they just "document my account" and the miles should post in 24 hours.

I was quite surprised that they will refund my miles that had already been deducted. Now let's see if the miles actually get refunded.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
The ironic thing is most of my destinations already have such low I fares, that booking in M actually costs more money.....
A week ago I booked JFK-LHR in I class for early July. I was wondering if my forehead should be whacked for having spent the extra $, but found that the M class fare was $300 more than what I got the I class ticket for. In fact this is why I switched most of my flying from Delta to American a few years ago: I was never buying Y, B, or M fares so the PMU certificates were not much good for me when I was PM on Delta, while as an EXP on American I can use SWUs for international upgrades on inexpensive fares.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by altaskier
A week ago I booked JFK-LHR in I class for early July. I was wondering if my forehead should be whacked for having spent the extra $, but found that the M class fare was $300 more than what I got the I class ticket for. In fact this is why I switched most of my flying from Delta to American a few years ago: I was never buying Y, B, or M fares so the PMU certificates were not much good for me when I was PM on Delta, while as an EXP on American I can use SWUs for international upgrades on inexpensive fares.
Couldn't agree with you more...the SWUs are worth big $$$$ - I use them for personal travel to save thousands....

I have found that I actually finish the year struggling to use my PMUs and end up using them on domestic routes where I probably would have gotten the upgrade anyway.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was about to burn all my PMU's in one fell swoop for a family trip, now it'll cost me 6 miles instead, Just hope the inventory is there when I need it...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Does anyone else feel like this is a bit misleading?

Of course we all get the whole Z availability thing, but is it clear to the average customer who is much less sophisticated?

They are basically being told to go buy much more expensive tickets and they'll be upgraded.

I know they say "availability is limited" pretty clearly, but I can imagine confusion and some people going online, searching for an M fare, finding one and saying.. Look I got it!

Sure, sure, caveat emptor and all, but still...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by trojanlaw
I agree with your general comment and believe for the typical FlyerTalk poster and other aviation experts, an I fare offering at M fare levels would be a clear sale. However, I could be wrong, but from a pure marketing perspective the 1-mile offer connects much more to the average DL frequent flyer who thinks a discussion of I, M, B, Y fares is like engaging in a foreign language conversation.
To parts of Europe, an I fare can be cheaper than M. So this is no sale. I agree with the comment on discussion with average flyer.

Originally Posted by FLLDL
While these upgrades might not be much cheaper than some of the I fares to Europe, this is a great deal TPAC. Just booked a laughably cheap PVG trip.

TPAC, I agree. The M fares are significantly cheaper.

Not only are front-of-bus revenues down, but so are higher coach fares. On my trip back from NRT at the beginning of the month, the J cabin on the 744 was 1/3 full.

It does mean, though, that the elites (and in particular the PMs) are hosed in terms of trying to get the upgrade on a later booking. By taking all the Z inventory, it forces last-minute flyers to buy Z if they want to sit up front. From that standpoint, I'm betting that DL thinks it'll get more revenue because the upgrades will already be taken by folks that would not otherwise upgrade (and would otherwise not buy YBM).... meaning that folks that would have bought YBM to sit up front will be forced to pay more if they want to sit there.

Fortunately, some of us are elite on other airlines where the upgrade posture is better.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
This promo works for wife & me. I just called and switched our Z fare tix to France from PMU to 1-mile. Unlike those who use PMUs for wallpaper, we had a combined 15 PMU-upgradeable segments this year (plus 4 more scheduled for 1/4/10). Now I can use the mile promo for 4 of those segments, and I won't run out of PMUs. I had no problems finding Z fares to Japan, France, & Italy, and G fares to Hawaii, but I was booking in advance.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
While there are some nice I fares out there now, for those of us who need more than a simple round trip---i.e., stopovers, circle trips, etc.---or require flexibility, the difference between a flexible B fare and a reasonable J fare is still quite large, so this is indeed a big deal.

Yes, it does devalue PMUs for few weeks, but there's a shocking amount of Z inventory out there right now (more than I've seen since the introduction of PMUs, frankly), so I doubt it will impinge upon their use.

Last edited by Erasmus; Jun 30, 2009 at 9:04 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Looks like they are doing a little experimenting. Greatly diminishes the value of a PMU.
You mean those "worthless" PMUs?

Originally Posted by Owen923
The agent I spoke to said that since they will deduct the miles from the account at the airport, all she needed to do was to put in "documentation" that I was using the one-mile upgrade, so that they'll know to take out only 1 mile at the airport. That makes me a little nervous, but I'll let you know how it turns out.
Make a note of the promo code in the last line of the T&Cs. It will help the agent find details of this promo in case they play dumb at check-in.

Interesting that most here are changing plans for trips already booked and upgrades confirmed. Not much talk of anyone rushing to buy a ticket not already planned or buying up to M+ because of the promo. I wonder if the promo will actually have the desired effect of enticing folks to buy up to M+ in the hopes of upgrading for 1 mile.

By the way, I thought the conventional wisdom here is that PMUs are impossible to use. Seems like many here are having no problem whatsoever finding Z availability...myself included.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond in 2010, Kimpton Inner Circle

Funny, I had 6 expertflyer alerts for Z avail to PVG in August set. Thirty minutes before I received the Delta 1-Mile upgrade, all six alerts went off to my e-mail. I was able to book myself and a co-worker to PVG in BE for 4 miles and M Tickets (I would have bought anyway), and saved two PMU's for me and saved 50K miles (I would have had to purchase for $1600 dollars) for him.

And, the flight is on the 77L and I got the seats I wanted.... What a great Promo for me!!!!

Just in the nick of time too!!!

TJ
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: you name it, i have it
If I make the reservations, can I upgrade a colleague for 1 mile as well?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
AMEN!

Flew ATL-NRT in June and I was the only revenue pax is the second BE cabin on the 777. In addition, there were several non-revs in the front BE cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.