Wiki Posts
Search

Atl/sfo 1c seats taken for sept travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Atl/sfo 1c seats taken for sept travel?

I was looking at upgrade possibilities for an ATL/SFO flight two months out and noticed seats up front were already taken. Is this route routinely full? Or would I be better served going to OAK? Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I was looking at upgrade possibilities for an ATL/SFO flight two months out and noticed seats up front were already taken. Is this route routinely full? Or would I be better served going to OAK? Thanks.
If the airlines could figure out what flights would be routinely full, they would be making money.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zman
If the airlines could figure out what flights would be routinely full, they would be making money.
No kidding. I was more interested in a helpful suggestion from someone who normally flies between ATL and SFO to provide some insights.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
SFO is definitely going to attract more business traffic (i.e. paid F seats and upgrades) than OAK.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
No kidding. I was more interested in a helpful suggestion from someone who normally flies between ATL and SFO to provide some insights.
Best helpful suggestion I can come up with is to check the fare-buckets on the days/times you want to travel, and see what the patterns look like a few days/weeks out, for the days-of-the-week you want to travel. Yet that's not ATL-SFO specific, that could apply to any route you're attempting to put the odds in your favor, in regards to an EUA.

I can't speak specifically on ATL-SFO, yet SFO in general appears to be a nightmare to get anything free for (unless a lucky Plat, or a high-fare Y). SFO is legendary as a nightmare on NW flights in regards to EUA, and I'm hearing that the UA forum (SFO being a UA hub?) considers this a tough market to use upgrade instruments.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:26 am

DeltaFirst, I've been doing the PNS-ATL-SFO trip about once a month and find the "front of the plane" always is difficult for upgrades. Doesn't really matter when you try to arrange a trip. Good luck!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Is flew ATL-SFO yesterday and got a battlefield upgrade, I was #3 of 44 for 3 seats. I sat in 1C, and I'm a plat flying on a M fare. My return is an H fare, so I don't expect much.

randidliyo
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, I may rethink this and route through OAK instead of SFO. I was avoiding OAK because of the extra segment.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Thanks for the suggestions, I may rethink this and route through OAK instead of SFO. I was avoiding OAK because of the extra segment.
They could be reserving a seat for a FAM on that route. Just a guess.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
They could be reserving a seat for a FAM on that route. Just a guess.
I just checked on the seat availability for my flight departing ATL/SFO in mid Sept. Already in 1C there are 10 seats taken and 16 open. Nothing direct to OAK from ATL, stopover in SLC. So, I'll take my chances for an upgrade.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I do a lot of SFO-ATL connections, and it is common to have 30-40 names on the upgrade list. One option is to go through SJC, which is also a non-stop from ATL, and almost as short a drive as OAK.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I used to fly that route every week, and sometimes it gets to the point that they didn't even board Elites ahead of others, as more than 80% were elite.

Part of the problem is that some of the flights may be going onto Hawaii, and many people try for those upgrades. As a former Plat, that route was the most difficult to get for me. As a gold, forget about it.

Perhaps you may want to look into SJC -- There is a direct flight from Atlanta
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ULDB65
I do a lot of SFO-ATL connections, and it is common to have 30-40 names on the upgrade list. One option is to go through SJC, which is also a non-stop from ATL, and almost as short a drive as OAK.
Thanks, nice suggestion except my destination is Oakland. It looked like one (SLC) and possibly two stops to get to Oakland from ATL, so thought direct to SFO would be a better option and then get a taxi to Oakland. Looks like my best bet is to get a Y class ticket and pay early and go for the immediate upgrade even if it might not be available anyway.

I appreciate the feedback, didn't know about the Hawaii flights, that certainly explains the early fill. Thanks again.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
If the SJC nonstop works for your schedule, its closer to OAK than SFO...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by ULDB65
If the SJC nonstop works for your schedule, its closer to OAK than SFO...
From my experiences (a couple of times per year) ATL-SJC is more difficult than ATL-SFO for upgrades. SJC has the silicon valley business travellers and the smaller F class of the 757. I've almost never gotten the SJC upgrade (PM) but have had some luck on the SFO, especially if you can fly on the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.