Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Seating booked through NWA, cant pick em.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold

I just booked a mile run thats NWA on the two legs out, and a NWA/DL on DL Metal on the way back, I could pick seats for both people in our reservation on the two NWA flights like normal, but going to the DL website it says seat not assigned and wont let me pick for either person for either flight.

Is this a problem of booking a DL flight through NWA, or is this how the Delta seating always works? I'm a long time NWA flyer, only occasionally doing DL Codeshares in the past, so I'm trying to figure out how it's going to be.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
The two computer systems are having lots of trouble talking to each other.

For example, I have an itin booked on NWA, two segments on NW metal, two on DL metal. I got the NW seat assignments on NWA.com, but had to call DL for the assignments on the DL segments. Now, when I log onto NWA, it shows all four seat assignments but I can't access the seatmaps for the two which are on DL metal. When I log onto delta.com, I only see the seat assignments for the two DL segments; it says the NW segments are not assigned, and it won't let me access the seat maps for the DL segments.

In addition, to get the NW seat assignments, I had to call NW customer service; it had stuck me in very lousy seats, and blocked me from the elite seats until the agent released them. (their system did recognize me as DL PM, but it still initially blocked the elite seats from me).

Pretty sloppy, I'm hoping they get it together over the summer as the get things merged.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:42 pm

It worked for me a few months ago... itinerary booked on nwa.com showed up on delta.com under "Itineraries & Check-In"... and it let me pick seats on the DL-operated legs.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold
The flights show up, but I have to look it up using the Delta Confirmation # (listed on the NWA reservation, which is a different code from the NWA confirmation) because it wont show up in my SkyMiles profile. But it wont let me pick seats for either person for either leg (4 total, 2 NWA out, 2 DL back).
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
In my experience booking for clients, NW metal seats can be selected on nwa.com and DL metal seats can be selected on delta.com. You will need the NW PNR for NW metal flights and the DL PNR for DL metal flights.

If you enter a DL PNR on nwa.com, it will actually find and pull up the NW version of the itinerary if you have flights on NW metal. I do not know if that works the other way around, or if you have to call to get a DL PNR for DL metal flights.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked Mrs. Gargoyle's flight to the RWT Do.
Booked on delta.com, first two segments on DL, third on NW. I'm also on that NW segment, on a separate PNR, so I wanted to put her in the seat next to me. However, Delta.com can't access the NW seat map, and NWA.com couldn't recognize her DL elite status (even though her NW and DL acc'ts are linked, and it recognized her status for another flight this month)

It took 44 minutes on the phone with NWA till an agent was able to get her status recognized and get her into the seat. I went through the same thing with my ticket and seating a couple weeks ago, except I booked that one through NWA.com.

DL/NW, are you listening? This lack of integration is costing you money. (the profit on the ticket might have covered the CS agents time, but I doubt it).
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I had quite strange experience yesterday.

Needed to book HKG-ATL-HKG in mid-July.

First, nwa.com only gave fares between $1450 to $2500.

dl.com gave me same flights (mostly dl codeshare on NW7 HKG-NRT and DL 800 NRT-ATL) for only $820 all-in for most days I checked.

Duh, I think I'll book on dl.com.

Then, to my surprise, dl.com allowed me to pick seats on all 4 segments - HKG-NRT on NW (with DL codeshare - M class), then NRT-ATL-NRT on DL U fare (Dl flight "operated by NW 747), and NRT-HKG on NW (with DL codeshare - U class). I could see the whole seating chart and pick a seat on the HKG-NRT and NRT-HKG flights.

Issued the ticket and saw the seats all confirmed.

Did not trust, so went to nwa.com and input my DL e-ticket number --- sure enough, the HKG-NRT and NRT-HKG flights showed no seat assigments. However, it allowed me to choose seats, even "choice" seats (which did not show as available before issuing the ticket).

Now dl.com shows the HKG-NRT and NRT-HKG as unassigned, and nwa.com shows the seats I chose on nwa.com as still valid.

So, we are half way there? At least for flights booked on dl.com. I haven't booked anything on nwa.com lately, which seems to be what the OP did.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked a flight on Delta.com, mixed metal- two Comair segments, one on Mesaba and one on NW mainline. I was able to select all four seats on delta.com before purchase.

This is a change from a week ago, when we couldn't get NW seats on delta.com.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:45 pm

Hello everyone. Can anyone give an update on this situation? I will be hitting the 90 day mark on Friday with NW and I don't know if I should be going to DL's or NW's website to get our seats.

(we fly DL on our way out on 10/23 and then NW on our way back on 11/3)
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:17 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by jacos11
Hello everyone. Can anyone give an update on this situation? I will be hitting the 90 day mark on Friday with NW and I don't know if I should be going to DL's or NW's website to get our seats.

(we fly DL on our way out on 10/23 and then NW on our way back on 11/3)
See post #5 above:

Originally Posted by me4yankees
In my experience booking for clients, NW metal seats can be selected on nwa.com and DL metal seats can be selected on delta.com. You will need the NW PNR for NW metal flights and the DL PNR for DL metal flights.
And my calculations show 90 days from 10/23 is not 7/24 but 7/25. Often seats are released late on the 91st day before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.