Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallions Arriving JFK T2/3 via Airtrain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Best security line at JFK?

I meant to post this earlier.

I'm off to JFK in a bit to catch a flight. It seems that the past few times I've gone, the security lines have been atrocious, whereas previously T2 was effectively empty.

My question is, where is the first class/elite line now at JFK and which terminal should I go to? I'll be arriving on the Airtran, so T3 is easier, but a quicker line at T2 is worth the walk.

Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat Medallion, Hyatt Gold Passport - Platinum, Hilton Hon - Gold VIP, SPG Gold
In my experience T2 is always the safe bet.

There have been times when I've checked in at T2 and then had the 10 minute hike back to T3 only to discover that there were no lines at T3 security, but that is the exception. I have never had more than a 5 minute wait in T2. When I had to go to T3 (before T2 was opened), I almost always spent at least 30 minutes trying to check in and get through security - even with using medallion check in.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I too would go with T2.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK Gold
What would be the best idea for me as Flying Blue Elie Plus flying to LHR? As far as I know all passengers for LHR check in a T2 whereas the flight actually departs from T3. Are the priority security lines, if so, where?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I think there's a lot of confusion about the differences between T2 and T3, which the Port Authority considers to be two separate terminals.

It's a lot easier to think of it as one big DL terminal. The two buildings are connected airside, and there's no rule regarding which flights depart from which building. (Jorguh, that LHR flight you mention is not definitely a T3 departure... they won't assign a gate until the day of departure. If you must think of it in terms of terminal number, gates 1-18 are T3 and gates 20-29 is T2.)

There's very clear signage as you drive up to the facility pointing Business Elite, domestic First and all Skyteam Elite passengers to a dedicated checkin center at T2. (Coach passengers use T3, but for crowd control, Florida-bound coach passengers are welcome to use T2 as well.) I have never had to wait more than five minutes at the T2 security checkpoint. It's actually the most pleasant checkin experience I've encountered anywhere across the system.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Ended up going to T2 last night and as expected, the security line was packed. Luckily, a couple of obnoxious silver medallions kept asking everyone about the elite line, so a DL rep pulled them into the Clear line - I showed my BP and tagged along.

I actually felt bad for this poor woman, she was being queationed about this constantly. Why don't they just have an elite/F line? As far as I know, DL has no expedited security line for elites/F at JFK. Not what you would expect at a hub airport.

Last edited by troyb; Nov 8, 2008 at 7:06 am
Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by troyb
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Ended up going to T2 last night and as expected, the security line was packed. Luckily, a couple of obnoxious silver medallions kept asking everyone about the elite line, so a DL rep pulled them into the Clear line - I showed my BP and tagged along.
DL use to have an Elite line at T2 which was nice in case the small cue filled up. Sometimes, with only one lane open here, that Elite line saved plenty of time. When they opened the Clear line, they still had the Eilite lane. Now it's only a Clear line, in addition to the general line.

FWIW Delta, in case you are reading, this is a huge mistake. You make such a big deal about the T2 BE-First-Medallion check in area and then totally blow it by making the security part of the check in experience, already the worst part of the check in experience, non-Elite.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Why didn't I read this thread before my flight. I've been here long enough to know, search before you go.

I as orlandodlplat stated think of each terminal at JFK as their own seperate building.

I flew from JFK to ATL and my flight departed from gate 15 at T3.

The staff was unhelpful, as I've never flown Delta from JFK. That terminal is a mess. Walking through the door I felt like I walked into '80's. There is no first/Business First line and once you enter the building the security line wraps around in front of the entry doors.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
T3 terminal is just terrible. The layout is awful and confusing. It really sucks when you get thru security at T2 and realize your gate is #4,5,or 6 on the far side of T3.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, US Silver
Sorry, but I have to say it; the best security lane at JFK is the 34th Street Heliport or Wall Street...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by IronDuke08
Sorry, but I have to say it; the best security lane at JFK is the 34th Street Heliport or Wall Street...
FYI: All US Helicopter flights have been operating from 34th St (TSS) since late last year. The JRB Helipad changed ownership and USH is supposedly trying to work it out with new owners.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
JFK Terminal 2 Sucks

Terminal 2 at JFK is horrible. The idea of having a first class/elite terminal is great, but it doesn't work if it isn't reinforced.

Everytime I've flown, the line is full of people who are not first or elite (and no, they are not permitted FL passengers). People have seemed to wise up and learned that NOBODY enforces the elite only concept at Terminal 2, so why bother waiting at Terminal 3.

To boot, there isn't an elite line at Terminal 2 because after all...everyone is elite. DL has got to start enforcing this somehow or add an elite line again. (I even bought a clear membership, but the line is not open in the morning).

Does anyone know if there are elite lines if you go to Terminal 3 security? I haven't been there in a while.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Terminal 2 at JFK is horrible. The idea of having a first class/elite terminal is great, but it doesn't work if it isn't reinforced.

Everytime I've flown, the line is full of people who are not first or elite (and no, they are not permitted FL passengers). People have seemed to wise up and learned that NOBODY enforces the elite only concept at Terminal 2, so why bother waiting at Terminal 3.

To boot, there isn't an elite line at Terminal 2 because after all...everyone is elite. DL has got to start enforcing this somehow or add an elite line again. (I even bought a clear membership, but the line is not open in the morning).

Does anyone know if there are elite lines if you go to Terminal 3 security? I haven't been there in a while.
Avoid JFK Terminal Three. No elite line, I found out the hard way. There is plenty of discussion here, in the forum, about JFK's terminals.

Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FlyAO2

I totally agree about the lack of enforcement of the elite line at T2 at JFK. Plus, since that security line was set up for elites only, it can't handle a ton of people at one time. There is absolutely no room there. You cannot put anything on a belt until you are just about ready to walk through the scanner!

Having said all that, you should have seen T2 before Delta re-modeled it.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:02 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Avoid JFK Terminal Three. No elite line, I found out the hard way. There is plenty of discussion here, in the forum, about JFK's terminals.

There is a Clear and Elite line in T3. However, its right at the end at the 20ish gates (don't remember). I occasionally use that to have a quick cig between the cons. Usually you can step right through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.