Wiki Posts
Search

More Horrible Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem Exec
More Horrible Customer Service

Today stuck in traffic I missed a DL flight. I called reservations and asked what to do, the agent said there was a later flight I could try. He also said that he couldnt confirm me on it, but I could try standby for a $50 fee. All fine so far. So I get to the airport after another 1.5 hrs in heavy traffic, they say they havent done standby for years, they had others that same day told the same thing, and they would write a letter to try to get Res to stop saying that. Nice people at BWI, sympathetic etc.

So I call up reservations and speak to a supervisor named Terry Matthews, so that this doesnt happen to others. He tells me "Your not going to like it, but I think you are lying and making this up" or words to that effect. And then he proceeds to start laughing at me when I take offense.

It was the most amazing and somewhat surreal experience I have had with airlines - you try to make things better and they tell you you're a liar, its not possible, and laugh at you.

As a former NW employee it makes me very sad.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'd write in about both the phone call experiences.

Sounds like the BWI staff handled it well. Delta does charge a $50 to get reconfirmed on another flight with 3 hours of it's departure, and the first phone agent was indeed wrong. Standby is only allowed for Golds and Platinums, and only when they can't get confirmed onto a flight.

That being said, the best way to handle complaints about employee error is to write in after the fact. DL has call centers all around the country (and maybe some offshore now; not exactly sure what the status is on the non-elite lines) - odds are that the supervisor you talked to is in another call center from the original employee, which would make coaching the original agent difficult to do. At least by sending it in via email, it's easier to track which call center dealt with you and fix the issue at its root cause. Still though, the actions of the supervisor was uncalled for and does need to be reported.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I would definitely write a letter about this. Lot's of mistakes made here and the fact that you have a name will be beneficial, IMO.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Send a note through DL.com with as much detail as you can. Giving the wrong information doesn't help anything. Agent seems to be uninformed but the supervisor's response was absolutely unacceptable.

As you've learned, DL does not have a standby option (only for Gold and Platinum Medallions). The $50 option is a Same Day Confirmed (SDC) alternative where you have a CONFIRMED seat versus standby where you're not guaranteed a seat.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem Exec
The letter is in the mail already. And now I know all the rules, thanks for the additional info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.