Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Dining Options at DTW?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Best Dining Options at DTW?

Due to a change in itinerary, I now have an unexpectedly long layover in Detroit. Any tips on the best place for a non fast-food dinner in DTW? I will not be leaving the airport.

I have plenty of useless knowledge about restaurants at most other hubs in the east (Gallagher's in EWR being my current favorite), but haven't had a long layover in DTW in a few years. Also which world club is the best?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
The main World Club by Gate 40 is the biggest and best. Other 2 are located at opposite ends of the terminal are nice but smaller. For food, it depends on what floats your boat. Sora, also near Gate 40, serves decent authentic Japanese although a bit heavy on the sodium. If you don't mind exiting TSA and going back thru again, Dema, at the Westin inside the terminal serves a very nice menu. The Mediterranean Grill has decent food. For absolute indulgence, calories be dammed, try National Coney Island. Hot dogs smothered in meaty chili with lots of onions, mustard, and cheese sauce, mmm! Just don't tell your cardiologist.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Mediterranean grill by A47 has pretty good falafel and salads. Otherwise, though, IMO DTW's food options are surprisingly weak for its size.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:11 am
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Due to a change in itinerary, I now have an unexpectedly long layover in Detroit. Any tips on the best place for a non fast-food dinner in DTW? I will not be leaving the airport.

I have plenty of useless knowledge about restaurants at most other hubs in the east (Gallagher's in EWR being my current favorite), but haven't had a long layover in DTW in a few years. Also which world club is the best?

Thanks in advance.
There's a great Japanese/Asian place called Sora near the Westin, I think. Great sushi, great noodles.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:30 am

All the world clubs (now Skyclubs!) have the same food and drinks. The one exception is the world club/Sky Club in the B/C concourse....for some reason that one has "Vernors" which is a local ginger ale.

I like that club a lot because if you are there in the middle of the day you can sit and look out the window towards the A concourse and see all the BIG planes (747s, A330s, etc)... It also tends to be quieter.

I'll also second what someone else wrote, if you don't mind going through security again, the Westin hotel's restaurant/bar has a good menu, not cheap, but good!

The also have their own dedicated security line/gate/screener so going through that security check to get back onto the A concourse is usually very very easy and stress free....

While you are at DTW I would also recommend:

1) Watching the fountain as the water jets put on a show
2) going through the tunnel connecting A and B/C to enjoy the light show. I've just stood at one end and watched one full cycle of music and lights, it is about 15 minutes
3) Ride the monorail along A as you get a good view of planes on either side of the A concourse
4) BRING A BIG MAGIC MARKER and write on a stone! In the middle of the A concourse near the fountain and the escalators down to the tunnel are trees and planters with small stones. You will notice A LOT of people have written messages on these stones. In fact there is a thread here about how a bunch of us flyertalkers wrote messages and signed them with our handles/usernames! See if you can find mine! I used a nice THICK black permanent magic market so it should stand out a little...

I personally LOVE DTW....

Here is a great NW video to get you ready for layover!
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KJvWzVhSY4
Old May 20, 2009, 11:53 am

Sora for Japanese fare (including sushi bar) is recommended (near gate A35).

There is also a gourmet peanut butter & jelly place (yes, "gourmet") between gates A6/A8.

A lot of people swear by National Coney Island, but I haven't eaten there (A46).

You could also have lunch in the lobby of the Westin. It's outside security, but they have their own dedicated checkpoint as well (near the McDonald's, just across the concourse from gate A36). I wouldn't omit that as an option just because of the TSA.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
Mediterranean grill by A47 has pretty good falafel and salads. Otherwise, though, IMO DTW's food options are surprisingly weak for its size.
Forget about the size of the airport...looking at the size of the people in the midwest you would assume food choices would be abundant
Old May 20, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
PB&J, seriously

In the low A-gates (down by A1, A2, etc) you'll find a PB&J place that makes great sandwiches, has some healthier snacks (fruits, milks, etc) and some funky toppings. I had a PB&J with Bacon a few months ago. It was really good!
Old May 20, 2009, 1:15 pm

I second the PB&J place...great lunch in between connections.
Old May 20, 2009, 2:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

When I am in DTW near lunch or dinner, I go into the Westin (attached to the airport) and relax at Dema. Great food, quiet atmosphere, free wi-fi and if you give the waiter your SPG card, you will earn Starwood points for the meal.
Old May 21, 2009, 6:58 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I vote for the sushi place. It is surprisingly good sushi and would compete handily outside of the airport environment.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Wouldn't this question be better suited in the NW forum?

It's like asking about SLC dining options in the NW forum - seems like you'd get better/quicker answers in the native forum.

That being said, I second the mention of the sushi place, but do note it is a bit pricey.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
[QUOTE=bostonbali;11784077]Wouldn't this question be better suited in the NW forum?

It's like asking about SLC dining options in the NW forum - seems like you'd get better/quicker answers in the native forum.
QUOTE]

If the moderators will not do a de jure combining of the forums, it will be in our hands and the combination will be de facto.

MO
Old May 21, 2009, 7:56 am

Don't forget

Fudruckers in terminal C is my favorite; good for a burger and a beer.
Sushi place is good too -- the one near the water feature is better for some reason.

Max & Erma's and Coney island is decent standard american food if you're sitting down. Coney islands are all over southeastern Michigan, great for a greasy spoon breakfast.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by andymo99
I vote for the sushi place. It is surprisingly good sushi and would compete handily outside of the airport environment.
Ironically, I once sat next to a native Japanese citizen (which, another irony, they stated I was one of the few westerners who could listen past their native accent), and their opinion of Sora was rather... unfavorable.

Not being a sushi gourmet, I rather enjoy the food. Sit by the consourse, and watch the crowd. Just ignore you're across from the bathrooms.

Never at in the Westin. I hear it's nice.

Coney Island is a suprise for most. Almost all foods are fresh, and prepared on-site to order. You just have to know what and how to order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.