Wiki Posts
Search

question for Delta experts

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
question for Delta experts

I just bought tickets to Paris on Delta (Air France metal), on a 777-200 over and A340 back. They were on sale for 712 bucks all in. Not bad. This is leaving May 29 from IAD,flight: 8631 and on June 8 coming home at 130 PM, flight 8392.

I used the seat assigner on expedia which has me confirmed for seat 3A on the flight over, and 2J on the way back. Even the email confirmation says that. I am confused. That sounds like business class.

I went to the Delta website and found my reservation. On the confirmation page, it does indeed show 3A and 2J as my seats, coming and going. However, for the heck of it I went to the seat assigner on their site.

It shows the "cabin class" (which is what I paid for) seating chart. Naturally the coach class does not show I have a seat, but, since it won't show me the business class row I cannot see if "my seats" are chosen. It will only show me the economy seating chart. I have no idea if I am in the seat they say I am in.

What makes it interesting is that right this minute, empty seats on the seat finder show I could easily go in bulkhead seating both coming and going which means plenty of legroom. If I am going to be safe I should pick a bulkhead seat and be done with it.

What would you do - I would surely love to have those seats! I also don't want to be bumped or get a crappy seat assignment at the airport.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I would confirm through Air France by phone.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

I emailed Delta to confirm the seats but tonight I will call AF... I kinda was hoping if I just showed up at IAD with the seats confirmed they would put me in them anyway but I bet that is wishful thinking!
Old May 7, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
My guess is that you are not assigned these seats as far as Air France is concerned. I looked at the seatmap for the flights on ExperFlyer, and on your outbound flight the seat is blocked, so you are definitely not confirmed in it. On the inbound, the seat is assigned, so I suppose there is some possibility that you are the person it is assigned to.

My advice is to call Delta and ask for the Air France record number, and then go on the Air France Web site and see what seats you have. The best way to confirm what seats you have and select seats you want is to visit the Air France Web site with this record number (it is not the same as your Delta record number).
Old May 7, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
That is a good way to go, but if there is a conflict--call. I have found it more beneficial dealing with a warm body on inter-airline codeshare bookings. Usually, less time taken and less hassel by just calling the carrier you are actually going to fly and who controls the seating.

The worst thing to do is just hope for the best and show up. Hope is not a strategy.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, GE
search for your itin on airfrance.com with your 006 ticket number and name, that worked for me last year on an award flight using an AF plane.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Air France does not assign very many seats in advance, and they definitely do not assign them through the Delta web site. I think you have to have a Flying Blue elite number or a paid business class ticket to get a seat assigned in advance (not real sure about this, but I know there are some such restrictions).

You should either call AF as suggested above, or you can visit the Flying Blue forum here to get some good advice.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone.

I am going to accept that this is a definite error and I didn't "get lucky". I've already contacted Delta via email, but I see I could do seat assignments on their site. I may do the bulkhead seat assignment and call AF to confirm that it went through.

Bummer, it would have been sweet to be up front due to an error but it's not worth the hassle of not knowing.
Old May 8, 2009, 9:42 am
Original Poster

It was fun while it lasted... I called Delta last night - "we can't help you with your seats, call AF".

I called AF this AM. "We are too busy, call back later" and the call dropped. (I paraphrase, but that is basically what happened when I called them). AF replied to my email this AM and told me that they cannot seat me as I bought through Delta.

So I called Delta AGAIN.

My seats are:

Delta 8631 - 38E
Delta 8392 - 26D

Boo hoo.

I do also see that the 22 row and 17 row has mostly empty seats, the CSR could not put me in them for some weird reason.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone

I have a new problem.

I can't check in online!

Delta tickets, but AF metal. No checkee online.

CRAP!

what do I do?

I am leaving work in 20 mins and don't have a printer at home.

^&*(
Old May 28, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth
Hi everyone

I have a new problem.

I can't check in online!

Delta tickets, but AF metal. No checkee online.

CRAP!

what do I do?

I am leaving work in 20 mins and don't have a printer at home.

^&*(
Check in at the airport....?
Old May 28, 2009, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingForEternity
Check in at the airport....?
Well, I know that!

I just hate showing up the same day without a tickets because I could get bumped.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
Well, I know that!

I just hate showing up the same day without a tickets because I could get bumped.
I am not sure how AF determines their denied boardings.
Delta will (if it comes to involuntarily deny someone) start with whoever checked in last and go down the list.
Old May 28, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, I know that!

I just went through this last week. Delta lets you select any seat you like on delta.com on their AF codeshares, but you have to treat it like a demo or a video game - your selections actually never go anywhere. AF somehow assigns you a seat (with my experience, a poor one, but you may be impressed with the huge selection of movies in the seat-backs, which trumps Delta), which it is nearly impossible to change per my limited experience, certainly not via DL and most likely not even with AF. A lot of seats may show "empty" on the seatmaps you are able to view, but they somehow get filled.

It's frustrating in some ways, as customer service on AF can be nonexistent on the phone, on the Web, or in person if you have a codeshare flight. Enjoy the cheap tix, the IFE, and the free drinks, though!
Old May 28, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

It's ridiculous.

Should I show up at noon for a 440 flight just to be safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.