Wiki Posts
Search

PMU Value for International Routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
PMU Value for International Routes

I was trying to book a Z class round trip from PHX to TLV at the end of June.
I was dissapointed to find out than the M fare for a round trip was $3115.40 (the amount charged to my credit card including taxes surcharges and other components of the air fare).
I was even more dissapointed to find out that the I class air fare for the same dates was $3308.40.
I other words - for this route the value of my PMUs is $97.

A quick search for similar destimations reveald $2,600 in M Vs $5,600 in I for AMM and $2,600 in M Vs $4,900 in I for IST.

Is TLV the international route where PMUs are worth the least?
For which destinations do PMUs have the highest values?

DLP

Last edited by DLPhoenix; Apr 30, 2009 at 4:55 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
I was trying to book a Z class round trip from PHX to TLV at the end of June.
I was dissapointed to find out than the M fare for a round trip was $3115.40 (the amount charged to my credit card including taxes surcharges and other components of the air fare).
I was even more dissapointed to find out that the I class air fare for the same dates was $3308.40.
I other words - for this route the value of my PMUs is $97.

A quick search for similar destimations reveald $2,600 in M Vs $5,600 in I for AMM and $2,600 in M Vs $4,900 in I for IST.

Is TLV the international route where PMUs are worth the least?
For which destinations do PMUs have the highest values?

DLP

Not sure DL does their fare structure based on PMU use.
Fares are usually based on matching competition.
So CO or El Al or ?? must have an I that DL matches.

I think there are more flights from US to TLV then AMM, so more competition.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

pmu has much better value on tpac routes. it will be much more useful once it can be used on nw flights. a tpac m fare is usually as low as $1800.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zman
Not sure DL does their fare structure based on PMU use.
Fares are usually based on matching competition.
So CO or El Al or ?? must have an I that DL matches.

I think there are more flights from US to TLV then AMM, so more competition.
I did not expect DL to set the fare structure to address PMU utilization. Just seems odd that in a market that is competitive enogh to drive I fares as low as they go on this route the M fares could stay so high.

I was not looking for explanations (I am old enough to understand that airline logic has different rules) I am trying to learn which routes would serve me better for mileage runs and which routes I should try to avoid.

Originally Posted by blug
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

pmu has much better value on tpac routes. it will be much more useful once it can be used on nw flights. a tpac m fare is usually as low as $1800.

Thanks,
Which is better (lower M fare)- ATL-ICN or ATL-NRT?

DLP
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I fares can have much more restrictive purchase rules than an M + PMU combination, so the comparison isn't very telling.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver

Thanks,
Which is better (lower M fare)- ATL-ICN or ATL-NRT?

DLP
Depends on the date, but both routes have plenty of $1800+ M fare.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I fares can have much more restrictive purchase rules than an M + PMU combination, so the comparison isn't very telling.
How true. I've seen I fares with 50-day advance purchase/7-day minimum stay requirements, while M fares for the same route had 3-day advance purchase/Saturday night requirements.
Old May 1, 2009, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTraveler
How true. I've seen I fares with 50-day advance purchase/7-day minimum stay requirements, while M fares for the same route had 3-day advance purchase/Saturday night requirements.
Yes, but the M fare guarantees a seat in coach, you are flexible but nobody guarantees that Z inventory will be there. I can't recall a trip in the last 3 years where I had to make the reservation less than 3 weeks in advance and Z seats were available.

IMHO the risk associated with a Z class ticket (If you missed a connection and you hold an I ticket DL will reruote you in BE, if you have a Z class ticket you have a good chance of completing your travel in coach) justifies a discount of more than $200.

DLP
Old May 1, 2009, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The cash savings with the PMUs on international flights truly is rather modest. The most that you can save on a Transat this year (so far) is about $500.

Actually IMO the best value that you can find for them is to use them to lock in First on a transcon on the ex-TWAs where the Platinum upgrade is relatively unlikely and the fare difference one way is usually between $500 and $800
Old May 1, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by monitor
IMO the best value that you can find for them is to use them to lock in First on a transcon...
IMO too!

I can't force myself to buy an M fare to Europe. Usually, I can find a KLUT for a little over $1,000, or less. M fares are in the $2,000 neighbourhood. True a BE class ticket is probably around $5,000 and PMU's allow me to save $3,000 (comparing to a "genuine" BE ticket), but I still think some more legroom for a few hours and a $40 meal are not worth the extra $1,000 (comparing to a discount coach). I mean I could wait to get back home and go to the French Laundry for that much money. Twice.

The only situation in which I can see PMU's are useful on TATL is when buying a ticket at the last moment, or when somebody else is paying for it.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints
IMO too!..
I want the front cabin on any long flight and will fly BE every time I go international. But the only really super value gained from using a PMU internationally is when you are on an itinerary that does not qualify for an I fare.

I know one business flyer around here whose company buys him a fare with no Saturday stay and he regularly upgrades them with the PMUs. But he is upgrading them in a situation where he would usually need to pay upward of $6000 for that itinerary in J class.
Old May 2, 2009, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL phoenix, three years or ten years, DL or whatever airline, Z (or equiv) there are always Z seasts that open up on flights unless they are extremely heavily booked.
Old May 2, 2009, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly
DL phoenix, three years or ten years, DL or whatever airline, Z (or equiv) there are always Z seasts that open up on flights unless they are extremely heavily booked.
Delta has this rule where Z upgrades are not processed at the day of departure.
My strategy was always to book M even if Z inventory was 0 knowing that DL holds a few BE seats until the last minute and that there is a high likelyhood that I would be upgraded at the gate.

That changed in 2007 when:
In march an airplane left PRG with empty seats in BE and me seating in coach on an M fare with a PMU in my wallet.
In June an airplane left ATL with me in a similar state and the two last BE seats occupied by Non-revs.

Since then I will not pay for the M fare unless Z is available at the time of booking.

DLP
Old May 2, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Since then I will not pay for the M fare unless Z is available at the time of booking...
Sounds about right.
Old May 2, 2009, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesaints
IMO too!

I can't force myself to buy an M fare to Europe. Usually, I can find a KLUT for a little over $1,000, or less. M fares are in the $2,000 neighbourhood. True a BE class ticket is probably around $5,000 and PMU's allow me to save $3,000 (comparing to a "genuine" BE ticket), but I still think some more legroom for a few hours and a $40 meal are not worth the extra $1,000 (comparing to a discount coach). I mean I could wait to get back home and go to the French Laundry for that much money. Twice.

The only situation in which I can see PMU's are useful on TATL is when buying a ticket at the last moment, or when somebody else is paying for it.
I prefer to fly up front, and I am willing to pay some extra cash for the comfort. I would rather arrive at my vacation spot relaxed than than spend two days out of a 10 day vacation recovering from a long flight in coach.

I preceive PMUs as BE discount vouchers and under normal circmstances their value is more than $1,000 (M fare + PMU are more than $2,000 cheaper than the lowest available BE fare).
BTW I did not pay the $3K+ for the M fare on PHX->TLV (an extra day of unpaid leave costs less than the extra $2,000), but I will pay up to $1K.

DLP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.