Wiki Posts
Search

Swine Flu impact on DL Flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GM, GHilton
Swine Flu impact on DL Flights

Sorry if this is a repeated thread. I tried searching, but didn't find anything specific to DL.

I'm in CUN hearing rumors that airlines are cancelling flights to/from Mexico.

Any word on DL doing that? I'm supposed to return on the CUN->MCO flight on Saturday.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by hunkyleebo
Sorry if this is a repeated thread. I tried searching, but didn't find anything specific to DL.

I'm in CUN hearing rumors that airlines are cancelling flights to/from Mexico.

Any word on DL doing that? I'm supposed to return on the CUN->MCO flight on Saturday.
Nothing cancelled yet. I highly doubt that they will.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ates/index.jsp
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:00 pm

they are letting the customers change.cancel flights to/from mexico for no change fee . see the delta site
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Nothing cancelled yet. I highly doubt that they will.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ates/index.jsp
They should
The airlines are #1 in causing the distribution
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by zman
They should
Really? How's that?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: DM
The Mrs. and I cancelled our Mexican vacation along with 2 other couples yesterday. We were all set to go for a week on Saturday. While concerned with catching the swine, our biggest fear was being in a foreign country and having either the Government close the borders or the airline suspend travel. I feel really bad for the 2 other couples, while I had made my arrangements ala cart and was able to rebook ( just a slight $800 fare difference and loss of a PMU) they booked a package and are being told that while the resort portion is refundable unless DL cancels the flight they are SOL for a refund and because we booked the trip in the summer of 08 they would not have much time to use the value and don't really fly much.

I just hope Jamaica stays healthy....

Off topic but FWIW I was able to get a FC award ticket for the wife at this late date for the same 60k miles.

Last edited by fmsm; Apr 29, 2009 at 1:39 am Reason: forgot relevent information
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by jbatl
Really? How's that?
They may not be the main cause, but everyone who has it, got it from being in Mexico. It would stand to reason that if no one in Mexico with symptoms was allowed to leave, it could be contained.

FWIW, UK charter flights to Mexico are suspended as those back here in Ireland/UK/Spain that tested + for it, came back from holidays in MX.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: GM, GHilton
Air Canada has suspended their service to Cancun until at least June 1st.

We're gonna leave Thursday instead of Saturday. All flights today are sold out in Y.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by zman
They should
Hilarious! I see your firmly in the ever popular, "blame the airlines for everything" camp. What's next? "I lost my house to foreclosure. I blame the airlines for those insane fees."
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by noserider76
Hilarious! I see your firmly in the ever popular, "blame the airlines for everything" camp. What's next? "I lost my house to foreclosure. I blame the airlines for those insane fees."
i think that this is true in the sense that you can fly anywhere in the world in a day - wile you are still in the infectious stage

other than that airlines are just in the transport business. The cruise business will take a hit since Mexico is a favorite stop for any west carib. itin
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by tfred
The cruise business will take a hit since Mexico is a favorite stop for any west carib. itin
From the AP:
Royal Caribbean Cruises suspended stops at Mexican ports indefinitely, and Carnival Cruise Lines canceled Mexico port calls through May 4. Norwegian Cruise Line canceled the Norwegian Pearl's final two calls in Mexico this week and said its schedules do not include any other ports in Mexico until the end of September 2009.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
AFAIK, all the confirmed cases in the US involve recent visitors to Mexico. It's not a blame the airlines point of view, but a recognition of what the most effective vectors are.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by hunkyleebo
Air Canada has suspended their service to Cancun until at least June 1st.

We're gonna leave Thursday instead of Saturday. All flights today are sold out in Y.
Wow. For a whole month their service is shut down. That is just too precautionatory.

I think the media is really blowing it out of proportion. One baby from HOU dies and they're saying its a world pandemic, and we're all going to die. Not true...

If I were in DL's shoes, this is what I'd do:

People currently in Mexico
-They get on a plane, and all of the planes would go directly to ATL. They get taken to the CDC and get tested, etc. Once they are gone from there, they get on a flight home. They, of course, get a full refund.

People soon to go to Mexico
-They have the option of either cancelling their entire trip with 125% refund OR get the option to reschedule their trip. Nobody should be allowed to go into Mexico, but all people on DL itins in the near future (3 weeks from today) will not be permitted in.

It is possible to send a plane from ATL that is not being used (waiting for wifi, etc.) to go in to Mexico, and charter everyone to ATL. DL will just need to round up the people and bring them to the CDC in ATL.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, QF, QX, AA, CO, WN
When pigs start flying I guess we can rule out the airlines as one of the enablers for the spread of diseases. It's not like the poster was saying the airlines are doing this intentionally or maliciously, but the fact is that in the modern era where people can fly all over the world with relative ease, it just makes the spread of communicable diseases that much easier.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
The airlines are not suspending service at a "public service" LOL They are suspending as a "financial reality" If folks don't want to fly there then it's costly to run empty planes back and forth.... if they can pass it off as "public service" more power to them, but..... I won't believe it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.