Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

REALLY FLAMING MAD re: fees to cancel itinerary ten weeks from now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REALLY FLAMING MAD re: fees to cancel itinerary ten weeks from now

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The real problem is that all of the airlines have increased their fees to incrediably ridiculous amounts. It used to be $75 for redepositing miles after canceling a ticket. Fees are now $250 for changing a ticket used to be $100.

I do not mind reasonable fees for a service but at this point the airlines basically have the ball in their court. At some point they will push it too far and could find themselves being regulated again.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NoPlaceLikeHome
Beware, there will be a distinct minority who support that inane practice, all or nearly all...DL employees.
Welcome back to FT...

Actually just an FYI but almost all of DL employees dont like the fees nor do they like collecting them. Imagine the abuse that a frontline employee gets because they have to charge someone for a checked bag when that person didnt read all the rules prior to purchasing the tickets. I've seen GAs brought to tears because the person who didnt like the fees read them the riot act.

Quit lumping all DL employees into the same bin when it comes to the airline. There are about 30 (my estimate) people who actually make the decisions that drive DL and none of them post of FT (including JeffBob who does the hit and run but doesnt post frequently enough to count IMHO).

We all get that you dont like where DL is going but you are never going to get some of the folks on FT to see your point of view if all you do is bash those that work for DL. By bashing the frontline employees you are directly bashing my wife and some of her good friends...

Last edited by majorwibi; Apr 26, 2009 at 7:26 pm
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I do not mind reasonable fees for a service but at this point the airlines basically have the ball in their court. At some point they will push it too far and could find themselves being regulated again.
Delta and the other legacy carriers would probably like nothing better. Regulation just raises the barrier to newcomers who want to enter the market.

Regulation hurts consumers. They end up with less low cost options.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
I like the fees. It helps keep people from gaming the system, booking award travel and constantly changing it, which screws with the travel calendar for everybody else.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: S4
The volume of outrage regarding escalating fees is understandable but let's balance the outrage with reality, advance booking fares havn't been this cheap for years, and the increase in fees are inpart responsible for this. Airline revenue folks are obviously factoring in new revenue sources generated from bag fees and increased change fees into the overall pricing model.

Legacy carriers are benefiting from the decrease in pricing transparency, but the environment is not without it's pluses as we move to a more pay as you go model. The plus side being lower fares, especially for the saavy travelor.

Regulation, do consumers really want that? Does the general public need a return to infation adjusted fares of the 70's?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Don't cancel now. Your trip isn't for 2 months. During that time, a schedule change or cancellation or weather event could give you an opportunity to redeposit or cancel for free.

Also, DL might be more willing to deal if your flight becomes oversold.

Cancel at 15 min prior to departure if you're going to have to pay $200 to redeposit. Don't give up so easily.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
Don't cancel now. Your trip isn't for 2 months. During that time, a schedule change or cancellation or weather event could give you an opportunity to redeposit or cancel for free.

Also, DL might be more willing to deal if your flight becomes oversold.

Cancel at 15 min prior to departure if you're going to have to pay $200 to redeposit. Don't give up so easily.

Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Actually no. What I take consistent offense to is that people tend to come on here and b*&ch and moan about a stated policy of all of the major airlines and suggest that they are getting screwed. It may be an unfriendly policy but everyone on DL/AA/UA etc.. who books an award ticket has those conditions attached to them.

It sucks but that's life.

If you had paid for a ticket on any of those airlines you would be out at least that and wouldn't be getting a refund but a credit. You booked the ticket far in advance and are canceling it now, your decision.

If you didn't want to pay the $150/ticket you could have declined but you wanted the miles back.
+1! ^

It never ceases to amaze me how the consistent whiners and moaners refuse to accept any accountability.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
ETA: Look, I get it. You'll notice from my join date that I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I know there are often a lot of people who come on here with a condescending, know-it-all attitude, who have nothing better to do with their time than to to lord it over folks with fairly legitimate complaints.

Just save it, seriously. This stinks, I'm not the only person in here saying this policy is consumer-unfriendly, and I personally plan to put my money where my mouth is by curtailing my occasional travel on DL severely. I'll also write a letter to Amex, with which I do six figures a year in business, and let them know how unhappy I am that their only realistic airline partner as far as transfer of MR points is conducting itself in this manner.

I draw the line at statements like "deal with it." Obviously I may have no choice. But considering that there *may* be some way for me to get around this ridiculous fee? And that Flyertalkers will know what it is, if anyone will? Good luck stopping folks like me from posting issues like this and the 99,000,000 similar bugaboos I read about every time I log in here.
The problem here is that many of the usual will state that a policy is consumer-unfriendly whenever they disagree with it, or the result of that policy is not in their favor. Kind of disingenuous, IMHO.

Bottom line is, if its in the "contract", then you have to abide by the policy. Whether its with an airline, a cell phone provider, a cable TV company, etc etc.

But I applaud you for taking personal responsibility and saying that you will vote with your wallet. Good for you! And I mean that sincerely, with no sarcasm. You seem to get it. That you do have a choice. Please don't become one of those posters who complain consistently about Delta, and yet continue to fly Delta. They have zero credibility.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Actually no. What I take consistent offense to is that people tend to come on here and b*&ch and moan about a stated policy of all of the major airlines and suggest that they are getting screwed. It may be an unfriendly policy but everyone on DL/AA/UA etc.. who books an award ticket has those conditions attached to them.
And I take offense to your taking offense to folks complaining. I am sick and tired of those who say we don't have a right to criticize Delta Airlines and think that anyone who is critical is inferior to the poster (if you didn't think so you wouldn't repeatedly use such derisive language in addressing those who complain).

And of course, while most are playing this game now, it is not true that all airlines are. And furthermore, in my view, Delta/NW's rules are now the absolute worst of any US airline - if you add on all of the fees now applied as of this year and the fact that even Plats have to pay many of them.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel
And I take offense to your taking offense to folks complaining. I am sick and tired of those who say we don't have a right to criticize Delta Airlines and think that anyone who is critical is inferior to the poster (if you didn't think so you wouldn't repeatedly use such derisive language in addressing those who complain).

And of course, while most are playing this game now, it is not true that all airlines are. And furthermore, in my view, Delta/NW's rules are now the absolute worst of any US airline - if you add on all of the fees now applied as of this year and the fact that even Plats have to pay many of them.
Give me a break. Of course you have a right to criticize Delta. We all do. Posters also have a right to post opposing views to supporters and detractors of Delta. Wait a minute. Let me clairfy. We have the privilege to post here; not the right.

If you view Delta's rules as now the worst of any airline, then you have the option of flying US, United, AA, WN, CO, etc etc.

Back on topic, if I were the OP, I would certainly do whatever I can to try to get those fees waived. But if Delta decided to hold me to the terms and conditions of their contract, then so be it. But I don't blame the OP for trying to get those fees waived.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by doug93063
I like the fees. It helps keep people from gaming the system, booking award travel and constantly changing it, which screws with the travel calendar for everybody else.
I didn't game the system. I hardly ever changed an award ticket even when changes were free on NW. But I needed more flexibility this year and the free changes were one of the benefits i was looking forward to when I qualified for Plat elite last December. And then of course, Deltified NW welcomed me as a new Platinum elite by taking away most of these benefits that I had spent all last year qualifying for, including changing the rules for award tickets I had already booked before they announced these changes.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 9:42 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
In the case of cancelling a ticket 10 weeks out the fee does seem simply punitive with no relation to the cost incurred to cancel the ticket. If the trip were just one day away it would be different, DL would have little opportunity to resell the ticket in general.

Too bad you didn't just book tickets on WN in the first place.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant
I could understand if it were any kind of last-minute deal or if any of this had been spelled out when I actually booked the award.
Incredibly, it is spelled out quite clearly. Delta certainly fulfilled it's end of the bargain by providing this information. The burden of actually READING it and then deciding whether to use them is on the passenger.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...fees/index.jsp
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Thanks folks. I really appreciate the info...I deffo. would have read fine print more carefully had I any idea any airline would maintain such a monumentally idiotic policy. What REALLY stinks is this is 4th of July weekend - you know they'll be turning customers away over that period. And they have the audacity to charge me $200!!!! to get the capacity back.
Fees are Delta's #1 business. They can't turn a profit by selling a product good enough to warrant paying a fair price for.

Confession: I fly WN a lot, and you can cancel an award ticket on the day of travel with absolutely zero penalties....it simply didn't occur to me to think about anything like this.
Yes, WN is sweet. We recently made the transition in the other direction for DL/NW to mostly WN for domestic. Since 1 Jan. I've recovered $771 by refaring existing WN itins; that's an annualized rate of $3,000, which is hardly chump change when all your travel is personal and there's no employer to soak for the expenses.

And being able to cancel outright when your plans change is a godsend. Mostly recently I had to cancel a bunch of WN outbounds & rebook (O horribile dictu!) on Delta to attend a roundup of some of my DL friends in Atlanta.

Yes, WN spoils you. Unfortunately, it going to take a major cataclysmic event to break the Deltas of the industry of their habits. Meanwhile, WN continues to thrive.

Come to think, I may be able to get satisfaction from PLAT's travel protection since I used that card to pay the $20 or so attendant ticketing fees.
Rots of ruck. DL & Amex are in bed with each other. Amex has made 2 $1B purchases of SkyMiles, the most recent one occurring after a $3.4B bailout by the U.S. taxpayers. Like it or not, we're all paying to keep these two dinosaurs limping along.

At least I don't live in ATL, where DL is the only option. ARRRRRRRGH!!! Sorry, I'm just absolutely boiling livid mad over this. I'll try to stop writing posts now.
There's also Air Tran, which even turned a profit this last quarter in contrast to Delta's $794M of red ink.

ETA: I wrote this after I saw the first two responses in the thread. WBurcham, feel free to go pound sand. "Deal with it." Hmph. I bet you work for the I.R.S.
Sweet, isn't it. But there's also also a very different side to the DL forum than those who label the Delta critics "haters", etc. They're just a small part of the forum. Note above I referenced the small roundup of Delta friends. Yes, there are real people in here, real friends to have fun with, not just those who hand out advice like "Deal with it" or "Fly another airline." Check out the upcoming Greasy Spoon DO in the Community Buzz! forum three weeks from now. Past events have included an annual PBI/FFL gathering (now probably relocating to somewhere in TN) and a CVG DO that included a behind the scenes view of Delta operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.