Wiki Posts
Search

LGW or CDG?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fgirard
But, AF will always direct you to their service (les cars) before giving any help to get to the metro....
The Metro goes out of the CDG main railroad station and at that place it is easy to find. Finding it at Gare du Nord is another matter altogether.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Which is why I would recommend either flying into LGW or taking the connection into LCY.

LCY is excellent as it is close to a lot of the major National Rail stations via the DLR. Add to that, the customs is quick and the pax aren't the type to stand around and wonder where they are--as soon as they land, they are ready to head out into greater London.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by slwkf1
...I've got a trip to East Midlands, UK ...
Where is East Midlands? The only tube station name that sticks in my mind is Cockfosters.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Where is East Midlands? The only tube station name that sticks in my mind is Cockfosters.
and Blackfriars will be out of service until late 2011
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've got a trip to East Midlands, UK coming up pretty soon, and I'm wondering how best to get there. I'm thinking of either flying to LGW with a layover, or taking the non-stop to CDG and then taking the Eurostar through the chunnel. I'm partial to the non-stop if it's not too much of a hassle to get to the Eurostar station from CDG. I've never been through CDG before. Is it pretty hard to get to the Eurostar station in Paris from there? Do they have shuttles or other trains that connect them? If so, how often do they run?
As sleek as the Eurostar is, and as cuddly as LCY is, you could look into either:

- flying from SLC via CDG, JFK or ATL to Manchester
- taking the SLC-CDG direct and from there taking bmibaby's direct flight to the East Midlands airport (although not sure what connection time may be involved)

I *think* these are the closest two to the East Midlands - LGW is still quite a way away...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
As sleek as the Eurostar is, and as cuddly as LCY is, you could look into either:

- flying from SLC via CDG, JFK or ATL to Manchester
- taking the SLC-CDG direct and from there taking bmibaby's direct flight to the East Midlands airport (although not sure what connection time may be involved)

I *think* these are the closest two to the East Midlands - LGW is still quite a way away...
- You can also take CO to BHX via EWR.

DLP
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:06 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by fgirard
But CDGval is the connection bus to CDG. They also operate Orlyval which is the same type of service, but to ORY.
Actually, the bus service is called RoissyBus and it operates from CDG to the Opera.

CDGVAL is the automated shuttle train that connects (landside) various locations within CDG: CDG1, RoissyPole, CDG2 and carparks such as the PX one.

OrlyVal is an automated shuttle train that connects the South and West terminals in ORY to the RER B line in Antony.

OrlyBus is the bus service that operates from ORY to Denfert-Rochereau.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've got a trip to East Midlands, UK coming up pretty soon, and I'm wondering how best to get there. I'm thinking of either flying to LGW with a layover, or taking the non-stop to CDG and then taking the Eurostar through the chunnel. I'm partial to the non-stop if it's not too much of a hassle to get to the Eurostar station from CDG. I've never been through CDG before. Is it pretty hard to get to the Eurostar station in Paris from there? Do they have shuttles or other trains that connect them? If so, how often do they run?
If you wanted to take the Eurostar, you could also fly to BRU. Its a quick train to Zuid/Midi to catch the Eurostar. I think its a quicker run than from Paris as well.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Actually, the bus service is called RoissyBus and it operates from CDG to the Opera.

CDGVAL is the automated shuttle train that connects (landside) various locations within CDG: CDG1, RoissyPole, CDG2 and carparks such as the PX one.

OrlyVal is an automated shuttle train that connects the South and West terminals in ORY to the RER B line in Antony.

OrlyBus is the bus service that operates from ORY to Denfert-Rochereau.
Thanks for the clarification...

...I remember bits and pieces of CDG as I normally transit at 6AM--I typically take AF39, which gets into CDG by 6 so I can make the early morning flights.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
If you wanted to take the Eurostar, you could also fly to BRU. Its a quick train to Zuid/Midi to catch the Eurostar. I think its a quicker run than from Paris as well.
+1

and: if you want to fly to CDG, do not take the Eurostar from Paris! Take the TGV to Lille and change to the Eurostar at Lille! That would be much more convenient.

Although BRU would be even better if you want to take the Eurostar.

Even better would be flying into East Midlands airport in the first place. You can do that easily via BRU on bmi (regional). There are good connections from SLC to EMA via ORD and BRU or vie EWR and BRU. The return is more difficult, probably better to fly back from BHX.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Personally - i'd rather blow torch my nipples off than ever going through CDG again. Confusing airport, long walks, rude workers. Oh and did I mention they love remote aircraft parking? (JFK is number one on my "avoid" list)

Stick with LGW - you'll be in the UK and can just get the train or cheapy internal UK flight up to the midlands..
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:03 pm

If you are flying into LGW, I would suggest taking the train as, flying there requires a stop in Guernsey (GCI) with continuing service to EMA.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
- You can also take CO to BHX via EWR.

DLP
This is probably the best suggestion of this thread.

When I lived close to Coventry I flew extensively from BHX, which is a fine little airport, and a few times from MAN. Overall, the travel experience from these airports is much better than flying to London or Paris and then drive and/or take the train up to the Midlands. The trains from London to the Midlands aren't that nice and you will loose quite a lot of time, plus trains in the UK are notoriously delayed.

Apart the CO BHX-EWR flight, you could also take NW to AMS and then continue on to BHX or go on AF via CDG. I tended to go via AMS more often since the BHX flights seemed to be better coordinated with KL/NW's connections to the US. But this could have changed as I moved from the UK to Germany 3 years ago.

In any case, door to door flying to BHX will probably be significantly faster AND smoother than flying to one of the London airports even if you do not take the direct flight to BHX but switch planes in AMS or CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.