Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

$50 2nd Checked Bag Fee on Intl Flights Effective 1 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$50 2nd Checked Bag Fee on Intl Flights Effective 1 July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Even if I was not a PM, I'd be fine with this new fee. If I want to check a 2nd bag, then I'll pay. If I don't want to pay, then I wont bring a 2nd bag. Easy.

This move is about three things: 1) generating revenue, 2) cutting costs (less checked bags=less counter agents needed + less baggage handling resources needed + less fuel burned), and 3) the re-education of the American consumer as we move towards un-bundling fares. After the base fare and taxes, you pay for what you want/use/need, nothing else.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I realize this is kind of radical, but maybe they could offer a quality product at an attractive price that suffient numbers of people would pay, thereby enabling the airline to make a profit which trying to shake every last nickel & dime out of its customers.
Due to DL's own self-commoditizing approach to its own business offerings, DL is generally lacking extra pricing power and even undermining its residual ability to differentiate. DL hopes to make up for its own failings to acquire extra pricing power on its own by making up for it in sorts through government-approved scaling up and cartelization of the industry. What DL doesn't get is that size alone cannot save DL -- it might even bring about its end faster -- and that a cartel is subject to cartel members cheating and invites new competition, perhaps even competition with a lower cost basis that DL cannot but dream of emulating.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by N808DE
Even if I was not a PM, I'd be fine with this new fee. If I want to check a 2nd bag, then I'll pay. If I don't want to pay, then I wont bring a 2nd bag. Easy.

This move is about three things: 1) generating revenue, 2) cutting costs (less checked bags=less counter agents needed + less baggage handling resources needed + less fuel burned), and 3) the re-education of the American consumer as we move towards un-bundling fares. After the base fare and taxes, you pay for what you want/use/need, nothing else.
About your 3rd thing especially, then DL is working toward undermining its own long-term viability since that enables an absolute commoditization of the market in which DL participates. Such absolute commoditization will make DL a loser with no hopes of long-term survival as DL will struggle with -- and fail in achieving -- the role of the lowest cost provider. "Economies of scale" won't save DL since no series of bankruptcy has yet managed to give a major US legacy airline a lower cost basis than the leanest de novo or LCC firms that fly in the world.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
it's just a matter of time until the likes of DL charges for the use of the bathroom on the flight too.

Welcome to Delta Airlines where the airline management team would consider pay-per-use in-flight toilets if they thought enough of their competition would follow it like lemmings.
Ryanair got there first: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...-toilet-charge

The unbundling concept is breathtakingly cynical. The whole point about this is that they think people will be too stupid or careless to notice that the $5 air fare which they think is so cheap suddenly multiplies into $200 because of all the add-ons (charges at booking like YQ, then charges at and after check-in for bags, meals, drink, the bathroom, etc). Where you go to checkout at Safeway, they don't suddenly say, "Oh, we now have to add on the charge for the gas to get your groceries to the store, and ah yes, you have to pay for lighting the store, because after all the price we showed by the bananas is just the cost of the fruit." Just think if every business in the country operated like this....
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Julian

The unbundling concept is breathtakingly cynical. The whole point about this is that they think people will be too stupid or careless to notice that the $5 air fare which they think is so cheap suddenly multiplies into $200 because of all the add-ons (charges at booking like YQ, then charges at and after check-in for bags, meals, drink, the bathroom, etc). Where you go to checkout at Safeway, they don't suddenly say, "Oh, we now have to add on the charge for the gas to get your groceries to the store, and ah yes, you have to pay for lighting the store, because after all the price we showed by the bananas is just the cost of the fruit." Just think if every business in the country operated like this....
Well, one way to think about it is that Safeway already operates like this. You're free to enter the store and walk around to your heart's content. Look at stuff, compare store brands to name brands, even sneak a peek at a magazine or two. You only pay for the items you choose/need/want at checkout.

The truly frightening part about the whole unbundling thing with the airlines (and I don't know why we'd single out DL, they're neither better nor worse than most any domestic airline at unbundling)...people seem to be accepting it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by N808DE
After the base fare and taxes, you pay for what you want/use/need, nothing else.
But this is not what is happening. Okay, you could say that a second checked bag is a luxury (50 pounds of clothes can keep you going for a while) but how on earth is charging a fuel surcharge "paying for what you need"? The plane needs fuel to go in the sky. It's part of the basic service you are buying. The whole unbundling concept is not about simply charging people who can then exercise genuine choice about whether or not to buy the product.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Well, one way to think about it is that Safeway already operates like this. You're free to enter the store and walk around to your heart's content. Look at stuff, compare store brands to name brands, even sneak a peek at a magazine or two. You only pay for the items you choose/need/want at checkout.]
With respect, this is not the same. There are no extra costs (apart from the sales tax - which in the UK is actually included in the price you see) - so when you decide to pick up that tube of toothpaste you know the price and they don't add on a load more charges at checkout. It's more transparent. From my schoolboy economics, I recall the functioning of a competitive market requires the free flow of information - airlines are deliberately making it as difficult as possible for us to know and compare the final price of the product we are buying.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Davescj
Boo HISS

What happened to building a "premier" airline?

Really? I already can see by the responses so far that most (not all) are not going to take to kindly to this new fee. All i can say is Really? I mean how many Medallions/Elites out there actually check two bags when going overseas? If traveling international, everything one needs for a week can be fit into one bag. I also must ask you to watch the folks in front or behind you the next time your checking in at a hub where there is a designated Biz/First class line. Most of the folks in line are Medallions/Elites going overseas for w/e reason. Ninety-eight percent will have one bag or even just a carry on. Than look over at the other lines (coach check in) you will find a few people standing in line with about 10-15 bags around them. Those are the folks in which as far as i can see DL is trying to gain the revenue from. These people traveling to nigeria, manilla, etc. carrying back goods and they may put up a fight about it but they will pay. Why you ask? Becuase they will gladly make the money back when they resell the goods in w/e country they are going to. No need to get upset about this, its a money maker in a down time.

Yes and im now ready to burn.....
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:12 pm

What the airlines really need to do is to introduce some sort of premium economy (or "premium service package") which includes meals and baggage. Charge a bit higher (i.e. for domestic trips, maybe charge an extra $50-$70) and include what you used to get (2 bags each way and a meal/snack as appropriate). If they didn't charge some huge premium, people might actually buy this. Or at least people wouldn't be angry b/c they would feel like they were getting a decent value. This is basically what Air Canada does, although I think that they charge too much of a premium (but I think they link it with changes in fare rules).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Julian

That was just a bit of tongue-in-cheek speculation at the expense of an airline already charges for just about everything else.

Lavs are still free on Ryan Air.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Your wish did not come true -- the credit card company did not laugh at us and most probably will not when disputing an airline fee charged for a service that the airline failed to provide despite levying a special fee for the specified service.
I'm not sure what credit card company you disputed a baggage charge with, but in my experience (on both ends of the merchant processing relationship) a charge will only be reversed for a consumer if the service was not provided. Flight times and schedules are not guaranteed for passengers or baggage and claims for delays in delivery of baggage would be difficult for the claimant or processor to defend.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Legendsnvrdie911
Really? I already can see by the responses so far that most (not all) are not going to take to kindly to this new fee. All i can say is Really? I mean how many Medallions/Elites out there actually check two bags when going overseas? If traveling international, everything one needs for a week can be fit into one bag. I also must ask you to watch the folks in front or behind you the next time your checking in at a hub where there is a designated Biz/First class line. Most of the folks in line are Medallions/Elites going overseas for w/e reason. Ninety-eight percent will have one bag or even just a carry on. Than look over at the other lines (coach check in) you will find a few people standing in line with about 10-15 bags around them. Those are the folks in which as far as i can see DL is trying to gain the revenue from. These people traveling to nigeria, manilla, etc. carrying back goods and they may put up a fight about it but they will pay. Why you ask? Becuase they will gladly make the money back when they resell the goods in w/e country they are going to. No need to get upset about this, its a money maker in a down time.

Yes and im now ready to burn.....
The issue is, if you're traveling for 3 or 4 weeks (which we do annually), then you really need more than one bag a person (assuming you don't want to have to do laundry or anything while traveling).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aa4ever
The issue is, if you're traveling for 3 or 4 weeks (which we do annually), then you really need more than one bag a person (assuming you don't want to have to do laundry or anything while traveling).
Its probably cheaper to pay for the bag than to do laundry and/or send it out with a service.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Like DL management is known to do, your post blames DL's customers for the problems of DL's own making. Which DL customers forced DL to sell tickets below the cost of providing the product? Mythical customers.
Due to DL's own self-commoditizing approach to its own business offerings, DL is generally lacking extra pricing power and even undermining its residual ability to differentiate. DL hopes to make up for its own failings to acquire extra pricing power on its own by making up for it in sorts through government-approved scaling up and cartelization of the industry. What DL doesn't get is that size alone cannot save DL -- it might even bring about its end faster -- and that a cartel is subject to cartel members cheating and invites new competition, perhaps even competition with a lower cost basis that DL cannot but dream of emulating.
The commoditization of the airline industry and its unsustainable pricing practices are systematic issues not limited to DL.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by sxf24
Good luck proving a delayed bag is a failure to provide service is contracted. The credit card company will laugh at you.
Can't be that hard. The passenger would have a receipt and a bag tag. The bag tag would say something like DL123 ATL-XYZ on 02JUL. It seems pretty clear cut that if the bag does not make that specific flight then the service as paid for was no delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.