Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming DL miles on SQ - Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, USAirways Platinum, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Cool Redeeming DL miles on SQ - Good deal?

I found this flights combo from the USA to SIN:

JFK - ATL to LAX connect on SQ11 - First Class (Cabin O)

SIN - FRA - JFK on SQ26 - Business Class (Cabin I)

The entire trip was quoted for 130K skymiles + surcharge of $ 505 USD.

Is this a good deal? Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.
I was looking for a flight and found this the second time calling DELTA. It appeared all agents are not equal!

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL MM, BA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
This is a great deal for a RTW. I'm surprised they allow it. Seems like there is a rule about needing to travel over the same ocean.

But actually, this is a terrible deal. For another 10,000 miles you could have First the entire way. Should be 140,000 for F r/t. You currently have half of a business fare (120,000/2) plus half of a First fare (140,000/2).

Even if you don't have the extra 10k to burn, I'd buy them. That much would usually be $300, but until April 20th, there is a double bonus so you would only need to buy 5k for $150.

Additionally, for no extra charge, I believe you can still take a free stopover, i.e. you could go to Indonesia with a stopover in SIN. This should still be 140,000 miles.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:11 pm

Either 130k or 140k for this itinerary is a great deal for SQ J/F, even with those surcharges. Heck, I'm looking for an excuse to redeem an SQ award myself...
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
It is certainly worth the extra 10K to go 1st the whole way, the issue is availability though I assume.

But even so, SQ's biz class will beat almost anything else you can find. I would take this ticket in a second if it was my route.

What's the time frame BTW?
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
I did a similar configuration in early march: CVG-JFK-SIN-DPS in J; DPS-SIN-LAX-ATL-CVG in O. 130k - though I called several times in the weeks leading up to my trip to see if O opened up on the outbound flights (which would have made it 140k). It didn't, but SQ business class was very nice. Good value for the points (love the Dom in FC!).

If only I had more vacation time so I could go back to Bali!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, USAirways Platinum, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It is certainly worth the extra 10K to go 1st the whole way, the issue is availability though I assume.

But even so, SQ's biz class will beat almost anything else you can find. I would take this ticket in a second if it was my route.

What's the time frame BTW?
We have no luck finding a first class RT on SQ thus I took the next best option of First & Business class combo.

Timeframe is in early Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.