Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL breaking number#1 on-time performance on Feb09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

I think it is improvement to getting better to ranked#1 on-time performance. Keep'em coming to become ranked#1 on-time. This is stats where DL is doing very well to improved is 82.62% on-time on Feb09.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Your posting is factually incorrect. Delta was #5, not #1.

In February, Delta also occupied the bottom of the scale for long taxi-out/tarmac times, with Delta/Northwest/Comair/ASA logging 49 flights with taxi-out/tarmac times of 2-3 hours. An additional 22 such flights were logged by Pinnacle/SkyWest/Mesa, of which a majority are likely attributable to Delta- & Northwest-coded flights.

For flights with taxi-out/tarmac times of 3+ hours, Delta/Northwest (& their regional) operations accounted for 17 of 32 incidents, 2 more than all the competition combined.

And here are the ratings for the 19 largest airlines in the Mishandled Baggage Dept.:
Northwest 5/19
Mesa 12/19
Pinnacle 14/19
Delta 15/19
Comair 16/19
SkyWest 17/19
ASA 18/19

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 10, 2009 at 1:29 am
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I believe 0MH is only mentioning Delta's improvement in the rankings and then saying that Delta is 'getting better (closer to) #1. ...Keep coming (and eventually reach) #1.'
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
As long as ATL is DL's main HUB they will NEVER reach #1.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I believe 0MH is only mentioning Delta's improvement in the rankings and then saying that Delta is 'getting better (closer to) #1. ...Keep coming (and eventually reach) #1.'
The article actually says Delta was #1 among legacies.

"Delta leads among legacy carriers amid overall industry improvement"

David
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:57 am

I will only be impressed when DL takes the operation and performance of its various Delta Connection carriers seriously. Many of us have to use these abysmal carriers, and it really doesn't do me much good to have DL mainline approaching #1 when ASA is going to waste hours of my life over and over again...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle

In February, Delta also occupied the bottom of the scale for long taxi-out/tarmac times, with Delta/Northwest/Comair/ASA logging 49 flights with taxi-out/tarmac times of 2-3 hours. An additional 22 such flights were logged by Pinnacle/SkyWest/Mesa, of which a majority are likely attributable to Delta- & Northwest-coded flights.

For flights with taxi-out/tarmac times of 3+ hours, Delta/Northwest (& their regional) operations accounted for 17 of 32 incidents, 2 more than all the competition combined.

And here are the ratings for the 19 largest airlines in the Mishandled Baggage Dept.:
Northwest 5/19
Mesa 12/19
Pinnacle 14/19
Delta 15/19
Comair 16/19
SkyWest 17/19
ASA 18/19
How is his post factually incorrect, when all he said is that Delta was continuing to improve? According to the article, as DiverDave pointed out, "Delta leads among legacy carriers amid overall industry improvement."

And why the stats on mishandled baggage in a thread that was focusing on on time performance? We need to keep on topic.

BTW, here's a link to getting specific data on each airline's ontime performance, with the options of selecting your airport and reporting period.

Last edited by tonypct; Apr 10, 2009 at 8:14 am Reason: Added link
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:27 am

And #1 among the major carriers, which is pretty good.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The article actually says Delta was #1 among legacies.

"Delta leads among legacy carriers amid overall industry improvement"

David
Thats like BK saying they have the #1 fries based on taste and Mcdonalds saying they have #1 based on sales. You can twist any data to make it sound good. But that does nothing to change the fact that those of us who fly DL know how crappy it still is.

DL operations fall apart anytime a Thunderstorm goes near ATL and it can take 2 days for the mess to get cleared up if the storm hung around for a few hours. Hell my flight in to ATL last night did the 3 gate shuffle and ground crew hold at the gate waiting for the crew to bring us in to the jetway.

I would hate to even try counting how many of my ATL - TPA flights spent more time on ground delay then actual flight time.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: None
The biggest problem with the DOT report is due to reporting on certificated carriers and not the brand those carriers operate under. You'll notice that DL/NW, AA, and CO have most of their express operations reported because their main express carrier(s) are big enough to be included - Eagle for AA, Expressjet for CO and ASA/Comair/Skywest/Pinnacle for DL/NW. At the other end of the spectrum, US has only one express carrier (out of 9) that's big enough to be included - Mesa - and only a portion of their flights are operated for US. The OTP of the remainder of US Express - most of the 2,000 flights/day operated by express - is not reported.

The effect is that you can sorta decipher the OTP for a large majority of DL/NW, AA, CO branded flights, but have no idea what kind of OTP brands like US have.

Jim
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: DL
DL beat US, UA, and AA. That's all that matters.

I took 2 flights on DL in Feb. First one left 5 mins early, arriving nearly 1/2 hour early. The second, left 10 mins late (due to late arriving aircraft) and arrived 10 mins early. Kudos to DL and hopefully summer will bring more on-time flights.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds
I will only be impressed when DL takes the operation and performance of its various Delta Connection carriers seriously. Many of us have to use these abysmal carriers, and it really doesn't do me much good to have DL mainline approaching #1 when ASA is going to waste hours of my life over and over again...
You have to agree over the past couple years Delta Connection carriers performance and quailty has improved. As long as you got tons of RJs going in and out ATL and JFK you aren't going to see a mirracle overnight. As mentioned before weather hits one of these places and it takes at least 2 days to get everything back on track. While we are on the issue here is a quote from yours truely Richard Anderson, "Our DL Conx carriers on average now perform at or above Delta mainline. We will continue to require all DL Connection operations to provide the same product as mainline. We will continue our efforts to appropriately reduce the number of 50-seaters on our network." The last part should make you all happy.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:26 am

Getting rid of the 50 seaters would be a great start. The CRJ-900 I was on last night I think had more leg room in the 1a/c/d seats then mainline FC does. I was amazed when I sat down in my seat how far the bulkhead was from my seat.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by vsop
Getting rid of the 50 seaters would be a great start. The CRJ-900 I was on last night I think had more leg room in the 1a/c/d seats then mainline FC does. I was amazed when I sat down in my seat how far the bulkhead was from my seat.
They got rid of the CRJ-900 MOB to ATL & replaced it with the 200 on ASA.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by vsop
Thats like BK saying they have the #1 fries based on taste and Mcdonalds saying they have #1 based on sales. You can twist any data to make it sound good. But that does nothing to change the fact that those of us who fly DL know how crappy it still is.
Bad analogy. A proper one would be if BK was ranked #5, but 1-4 were local shops with nowhere near the sales BK does. BK could say they were #1 out of the major companies.

The only fact here is what's in the report. Your "fact" of knowing how crappy Delta is subjective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.