Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Concourse Design

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

ATL Concourse Design

Does anyone know why concourses C and D are narrower than A and B? All four were part of the original design and IIRC opened at the same time.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:35 pm

Are you sure that they are?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Maybe because at the beginning, Delta only used A and part of B while Eastern used the other part of B and all or most of C. D was strictly purgatory for the airlines that almost nobody from Atlanta ever used.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those the old Eastern airlines concourses?

They're used mostly for Airtran and Delta Connection (little or no mainline Delta), so it seems like the square footage need would be less, but they can cram a lot of CRJ's into a very small space...
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by monitor
Maybe because at the beginning, Delta only used A and part of B while Eastern used the other part of B and all or most of C. D was strictly purgatory for the airlines that almost nobody from Atlanta ever used.
I think you're right. The Eastern use of B and C is why there was the "secret" tunnel between B and C (only recently closed).

Originally, all international flights went from the "T" gates - and why it's lettering is not in sequence with the other concourses. It was just called "International" when it opened.

C and D _are_ narrower and have fewer escalators to the trains.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, when the airport opened, there was no T concourse. Only A thru D. T came later, maybe as much as three or four years later.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
ATL opened in 1980 and the T gates weren't until much, much later (in the early '90s, IIRC). International arrivals were in T, very convenient as you could exit directly landside, rather than the present arrangement that requires you to re-enter the airport and travel from E to the terminal.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I recall that when they built it it was referred to as the International Terminal. I don't remember when it started to be called "T."
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Concourse C is the same width as A and B - 90 feet. Concourse D was built at a width of 67 feet in order to make ramp 5 wider (the ramp between D and E).
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by keeton
I think you're right. The Eastern use of B and C is why there was the "secret" tunnel between B and C (only recently closed).
Off topic but I loved the tunnel NOBODY ever seemed to use it... when did it close?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
Concourse C is the same width as A and B - 90 feet. Concourse D was built at a width of 67 feet in order to make ramp 5 wider (the ramp between D and E).
Close but not exactly.

A, B & C are the same width. They were all designed for connecting traffic - A and half of B for DL, C and the other half of B for EA.

D was designed much narrower since the airlines originally in D used it for O&D traffic only. It was never envisioned to handle connecting traffic. It housed airlines like TW, BN, PI, etc.

The original "midfield" complex was constructed in the late 70's while E was added in the early 90's, so the distance betwen D and E didn't exist when D was constructed.

What is now called T was in fact the original "international terminal" and the T designation didn't come along until after E was constructed (although I don't know exactly how closely the "T" name followed the completion of E.)
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:52 pm

When the midfield terminal opened in 1980, half of what is now 'T' existed on the north portion. The rest of the international pier (what Delta occupies now) was added later.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%202899.html
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by ecaarch
The original "midfield" complex was constructed in the late 70's while E was added in the early 90's, so the distance betwen D and E didn't exist when D was constructed.
Thanks for the correction. I always find it a pain in the arse to fly in and out of D on a busy day.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
I always find it a pain in the arse to fly in and out of D on a busy day.
I gotta agree with you there.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GaryO3
Off topic but I loved the tunnel NOBODY ever seemed to use it... when did it close?
and why it was quicker then going all the way down to the trains if your flight was on the side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.