Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on CRJ-900

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Overhead bin space on CRJ-900

I'll be flying on my first CRJ-900 next week. I was wondering what the overhead bin space is like compared to DL mainline, i.e. MD-88/90 for a carry on roller bag.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
TINY! Your rollerboard will not fit and will have to be gate checked. My rolling computer case won't fit, but I can shove it under the seat.

However, the gate checking is fine. They take it from you at the gate and return it when you land, no baggage claim!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
TINY! Your rollerboard will not fit and will have to be gate checked. My rolling computer case won't fit, but I can shove it under the seat.

However, the gate checking is fine. They take it from you at the gate and return it when you land, no baggage claim!
Not all stations that have CRJ-900 or ERJ-170 service (which likewise have tiny, much smaller-than-mainline bins) have gate check service. The bag may get checked to one's destination if it can't fit onboard.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not all stations that have CRJ-900 or ERJ-170 service (which likewise have tiny, much smaller-than-mainline bins) have gate check service. The bag may get checked to one's destination if it can't fit onboard.
I fly a lot to the middle of nowhere USA and I have never had to check my rollerboard because they don't gate check. Where is this occuring? Want to avoid that since I don't like waiting an hour for ATL to get the luggage out!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
A (possibly outdated) list of bin dimensions is here: List of overhead bin dimensions
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Gate check

Although I haven't been in a lot of CR900s, I've seen three systems in use for retrieving gate checked bags:
- No jetway, i.e. everybody goes down stairs to the runway. This is the easiest. They bring the bags to you on the runway.
- Usual jetway There are some stairs where the jetway meets the plane. Somebody wil bring the bags up the stairs and deposit them in the area where everybody is geting off the plane. People line up along the jetway waiting for bags. The whole thing is a little awkward.
- Jetway with a special rack near the end of the jetway for gate check bags. Here you walk nearly to the end of the jetway and wait in a slightly larger area (than the jetway corridor) and the gate checked bags arrive stacked into a rack system built into the jetway. This seems to take the longest.

I haven't had to go to the baggage carousel to pick up gate checked bags.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President Circle
The CR900 and EM 175 have overhead bins that will hold rollerbags

but they're only on the 2 side of first class. They will hold a medium bag but you better be one of the first to get on as they will only hold maybe 4-6 bags TOTAL. The other bins on the 1 seat side of first will hold a normal sized briefcase but not a big computer bag.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Big Red Bill
but they're only on the 2 side of first class. They will hold a medium bag but you better be one of the first to get on as they will only hold maybe 4-6 bags TOTAL. The other bins on the 1 seat side of first will hold a normal sized briefcase but not a big computer bag.
I don't think so. I have been in FC on both of these aircraft multiple times and IIRC the overheads in the CR9s will not hold a standard 20" or 22" rollaboard. OTOH, those on the 175s can accommodate them. I will double check that next week since my next biztrip has me on each of them again.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by monitor
I don't think so. I have been in FC on both of these aircraft multiple times and IIRC the overheads in the CR9s will not hold a standard 20" or 22" rollaboard. OTOH, those on the 175s can accommodate them. I will double check that next week since my next biztrip has me on each of them again.
I have been on DL Barbie jets where the bins in FC would not accommodate a standard rollaboard, but those in coach would.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by monitor
You are correct. Comparing the CR9 and the EMB-170 and EMB-175 as far as bin space is apples to oranges. They will not fit on a CR9 and will on the other two.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
monitor is correct. Despite all the "next generation" hype, the overhead bins in the 900's still will not hold a real carryon, but the 175's can accommodate them.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
2nd the yes on 175's and no on 900's.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:25 pm

Careful about terminology

Originally Posted by duluthDL
Although I haven't been in a lot of CR900s, I've seen three systems in use for retrieving gate checked bags

I haven't had to go to the baggage carousel to pick up gate checked bags.
This has come up on other threads and I really wanted to clarify terminology since I fly out of small airports a lot (ITH, ELM, BGM) usually on CRJ-200s so this issue comes up a lot for people who are not use to the small regional jets...

GATE CHECK is aggage is taken from you and added to the normal "ticket counter" or "cub side" checked baggage. If properly done, the baggage is sent through to your final destination and must be picked up at baggage claim. On larger jets, where overhead bin space runs out, they sometimes take your baggage from you on the plane and "gate check" it...

VALET CHECK or PLANE SIDE VALET CHECK is what happens on regional jets with baggage that would ordinarly be o.k. cabin baggage on larger jets, but which is too big for the small regional jets. With this baggage you either leave it at the side of the plane, outside on a cart, or at the jet bridge, OR on a special shelf at airports equipped with this feature on their jet bridges. This baggage is delivered back to you when you leave the plane and is NOT sent to baggage claim or your connecting flight.

Here is a link that goes into more detail:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...aircraft-door/
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
My rolling computer case won't fit, but I can shove it under the seat.
FWIW, a traveler's knapsack stuffed with a laptop and books fit in Y. It was tight, but it fit overhead.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Yeah, come to think of it, you are correct abt the 900- I was mistaken

it's just the Embraer's with the overhaed space. Sorry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.