Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

500 Bonus Miles: Link Your SkyMiles & WorldPerks Accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

500 Bonus Miles: Link Your SkyMiles & WorldPerks Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lls138
And a DL member can now use a functional award calendar and with no three tier redemption nonsense! 2 tiers, cut and dry.....and you can see AM availability on NW.com (not DL.com)
Uhhh....there are three tiers on NW now:
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/direct/charts/us49.shtml
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
I don't have a sky Miles account. I am a GE over on NW with a tidy sum of miles left. Any promos I should be aware of where I should create one?
No major promos I can think of. Main reasons to do it would probably be SQ redemptions, AMEX transfers, or mileage upgrades if flying DL.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
.....and you can see AM availability on NW.com (not DL.com)
Don't forget KE and (some) SU availability online.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Uhhh....there are three tiers on NW now:
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/direct/charts/us49.shtml

but not for WBC.......(right?)
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:59 pm

but not for WBC.......(right?)
Correct, there is no "High" tier in NW for J. However, I suspect those flights simply aren't loaded on the NW system. So unless you want to shell out the millage there likely isn't an advantage.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
So what happens if I create a NWA account today since I don't have one? Link my accounts, transfer my miles? Will it recognize my DL PM status?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jjlovecub
My Orphan DL miles are now in my WP account! What a great feature!
My orphan WP miles are in my Skymiles account. ^

No 500 mile bonus. Does that come later?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

What a great enhancement! I'm so happy about this change!

Originally Posted by spgaston
Yes, NW allows North America to Moscow via Asia, and N. America to Asia from US West coast via MSP/DTW without tacking on an extra award ... New award posiibilities ...
And there are some other backtracking options on NWA.com that the DL "system" calculates as two awards. In addition, NWA.com charges fewer miles for a select few international origins (there are also some cases where DL requires fewer miles). NWA.com also allows the booking of "Choice" level awards on CO, which is not possible through DL. And, of course, there is the issue of award "taxes" for non-US departures.

I'm guessing that in most cases, it'd be beneficial to transfer DL miles to NW, but I can think of at least one instance where the opposite is true. In any case, I don't think it's very wise to point out all the differences in this thread, considering that DL and NW probably monitor these forums, and have an interest in closing loopholes.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
Not really loopholes, just enjoy the BENEFITS while you can! You are playing by their rules not loopholes.

Why is that when you figure out how to do something within the parameters of the policies they are called loopholes?

Anyway enjoy while it lasts people.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by Schark
Anyone know what they plan on doing with those things?
I can't imagine AMEX will be happy if they turn into SM Visa cards.
Not sure, but I got a postcard today giving me double WP miles using the card at grocery stores and gas stations for the next few months - is this a little ding at AMEX since they dropped the double miles for those same purchases? Plus my last statement said they were waiving my annual fee this year. I'm fine w/both - as there are always places that don't take AMEX.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
AWESOME!!! Just in time for my Saturday flight to NRT! WBC here I come!

$190 to buy up to B class then $250 change fee since it's less than 3 days out Just a few days earlier and it would have been a bit cheaper. Oh well, WBC for 60k miles and $440 (while work pays for the M class fare) is good any day of the week.

Last edited by discstickers; Jan 29, 2009 at 7:16 pm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta-PM Continental-PM
Originally Posted by spgaston
Yes, NW allows North America to Moscow via Asia, and N. America to Asia from US West coast via MSP/DTW without tacking on an extra award.

This also opens up the possibility of getting awards on Malaysian and Kingfisher?
New award posiibilities:
Air Tahiti Nui X
American Eagle X
Cebu Pacific
China Eastern X
Garuda Indonesia
Gulfstream International Airlines X
Japan Airlines X
Jet Airways X
Kingfisher Airlines X X
Malaysia Airlines X
Malev Hungarian Airlines X
Midwest Airlines
this is very interesting...??can i actually transfer all my skymiles to nw and book an award with malaysian or jet in F class???? if so where and what would the mileage redemption award chart look like?? obviously skymiles only allows F redemption with SQ or CA..
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
couple of questions

One I can't figure out whether I should go NW > DL or DL > NW

I don't have status on either

actually I'm testing this out on a family account > I have 68K DL; 9 K NW > my goal in all this is just the better award redemption program

I saw the post earlier in this thread about loopholes but I don't have a clue as to what they are

any hints?

also, what happens to my WP account down the road when it becomes one account with DL? or is it not going too?

linking> I'm about to link and I get the following message

I understand the linking of accounts is not reversible.
I have read and accept the Terms and Conditions and agree to link my SkyMiles and WorldPerks accounts
as declared above.

what is the downside of linking? why wouldn't anyone?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Awesome! Went ahead and moved my 3200 orphaned NW miles over to my skymiles account. Now just to wait for the 500 bonus miles to post...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
One I can't figure out whether I should go NW > DL or DL > NW

I don't have status on either

actually I'm testing this out on a family account > I have 68K DL; 9 K NW > my goal in all this is just the better award redemption program
I don't think it matters. Based on my read of the T/C, you can transfer back and forth unlimited times with no fee. Whenever you're ready to burn, search on either site for your desired itin, and when you find it, transfer the miles to that account.

How come nwa.com can post the bonus 500 immediately and dl.com takes 4-6 weeks???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.