Wiki Posts
Search

Miles or just pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Miles or just pay for it?

I am trying to fly JFK-TLV. I thank everyone who posted answers to my earlier question.

For the route I want, Delta still wants $1323 or 130,000 miles to fly roundtrip. Not a real bargain. I did, however, find a similar flight on El Al for $897. Are miles going downhill so fast I should just use them before they disappear and just eat the $400 mile differential or should I fork over the cash and save the extra 40K miles Delta wants from me?

It's probably just a question or $, but I just wanted everyone's opinion. Delta is no longer partners with El Al so the only benefit I can see is getting an extra 900 miles by charging the ticket to Amex Skymiles. Do I just take the free flight or should I save the miles and pay the $900?

Thanks to all who reply.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Keep in mind DL, in addition to the 130K miles, is going to ding you for fees and other additional charges which will not be cheap. You need to take that into consideration.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

I hear

Well, for facts sake, its 130K miles + $41 in taxes with Miles
$1323 taxes included if you purchase the ticket outright plus you would get about 15k miles for the trip

El Al would be $897 with all taxes, but no miles, and of course, it costs $897.

Was just hashing it over.... thanks for commenting
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I say if the fees are only $41 for using the miles, do it. They are not going to INCREASE in value...
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I love these questions. Seriously. I play this game all the time.

Have you checked mileage for BE? Might not be all that much more and could make the decision much easier.

Outside of that, I think you have to consider status (as lame as it's getting). Do you need the MQM's on DL? If so, I'd buy the DL ticket. If not, I'd go El Al. I don't think that's a good value for the miles (in Y) and probably wouldn't go that route.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

BE?

You'll have to pardon my lack of knowledge of the 'lingo', but what is BE?

As to Medallion status, I don't normally travel enough to worry about that. Guess I should go visit my friend in MIA and LAX more , so it probably doesnt pay to fork of $1323 if I don't have to.

Considering that, I guess the 2 choices are in claiming the miles (130K for 41 bucks) and flying basically free or paying El Al $897, but keeping those 130K miles for something else....what I have no idea...I dont think they are ever going to be worth more than a penny a mile ever again.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by katzeroo
You'll have to pardon my lack of knowledge of the 'lingo', but what is BE?
BusinessElite.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by james318
I say if the fees are only $41 for using the miles, do it. They are not going to INCREASE in value...
I tend to agree.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
Call me soft, but I factor in level of service and personal comfort.
I've never flown El Al but I've heard good things.
Could be worth it.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:26 pm

Your value is around .66 cpm if you use miles 130k/(897-41)

You can get significantly better than that. I book some intl Y award that priced out to 1.7cpm last week ,, you may not get that high but surely you can get 1cpm (even if you use buy with miles)

IMHO deff pay the cash
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
Originally Posted by fredpeckville
Your value is around .66 cpm if you use miles 130k/(897-41)

You can get significantly better than that. I book some intl Y award that priced out to 1.7cpm last week ,, you may not get that high but surely you can get 1cpm (even if you use buy with miles)

IMHO deff pay the cash
So the Stews are cute?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Another idea

If I go now, its $727 if you pay, but 75K miles if you PWM

Award travel is 105,000 miles, so it seems PWM might make sense for February

I hope the weather is nice enough in Israel in February. Ive heard its been unseasonably warm recently,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.