Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Good Luck With Flying Today and This Weekend....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Luck With Flying Today and This Weekend....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8))

I thought it was bad coming here on thursday on USAirways. took me 36 hours to get from BOS to PDX with 2 cancellations and a fuel stop.

My grifriend was fine getting to PDX on DL on thursday. she has to fly back on monday. she was told she shouldn't change her flight yet since all flights are full until after Christmas.

although PDX is fully operational almost every flight is cancelled

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 21, 2008 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
mikeef,

I agree that you have ample reason for being upset.

However:

1) The airline hauled you from point A to point B.
2) You are not dead.

Unfortunately, and increasingly so, 1) and 2) define customer service "success" for the airline industry.

As you probably already knew, the airlines deny virtually any liability for luggage damage, short of the bag getting sucked off the luggage cart and chewed up by a jet engine (don't laugh, I have a photo of a DL cargo container container wedged in the intake of a DL engine).

While I avoid checking luggage whenever possible, I ended up buying luggage with a "We'll fix for free anything the airline breaks" warranty.
Oh, I know. I just needed to vent.

Mike
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
You should have been in Vegas with 3.6 inches of snow and no snow removal or de-icing equipment. It created havoc for Delta pax.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mikeef
Oh, I know. I just needed to vent.

Mike
It's called a FT therapy session?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Friday's Results:

"A very busy day recovering from yesterday’s IROP. There were 19 crew rest delays for start-up ranging from 0:36 to 2:45hrs. Several extra sections from ATL to the northeast were set up to help alleviate passenger backlog from stations that were affected by yesterday’s cancellations. Local passenger loads out of ATL were very heavy as well as the rest of the system as we head into the final weekend before the holidays. Snow and low ceilings continued through the day in the northeast with ATC initiatives in BOS//EWR/JFK/MSP/ORD. Equipment and crew resources were both reported as poor for start-up and remained so throughout the day. There were ten diversions, (1-medical / 1-weather / 1-crew / 1-passenger protection / 5-planned fuel stops). There were 35 cancellations impacting approximately 3,416 passengers 66 percent of whom were rebooked to their final destinations with an average delay of 22.5hrs. In ATL there were an estimated 5,555 misconnected passengers, 3,432 of whom required overnight accommodation, (1,055-DL pay / 941-passenger pay). Hotels in ATL were full by 0200 and there were 300-400 passengers who remained overnight in the terminal."

And it specifies the mess that is JFK during this kind of stuff...I am quite happy to not work in NYC that is for sure.

"JFK IROP – The morning operation in JFK was slowed by multiple crew rest delays and continued winter precipitation that lasted throughout the day. The steady snowfall forced lengthy ground delay programs as well as de-icing delays. As the day progressed, both inbound and outbound taxi times increased due to gate congestion and de-icing wait times. By the end of the night, there were 12 flights with out to off times over 2hrs and four with out to off times over 3hrs. Numerous flights cancelled after returning to the gate due to crews exceeding their allowable duty times. With the snowfall forecast to continue overnight, all DCI RON aircraft were taken out of the station resulting in no DCI departures until 1000/21. All hotel rooms were exhausted in JFK with an estimated 200-300 passengers remaining overnight in the terminal."

Looks like PDX and SEA are still getting hammered forcing numerous cancellations.

Look for SLC and the intermountain regions to get hit hard tonight and tomorrow.

-b-
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
I was messed up in the Southwest snowstorm that closed Vegas and have family trying to come SEA>CVG, so I wish everyone good luck and safe travels in this mess. It is going to be a long week.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Originally Posted by CDKing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8))

although PDX is fully operational almost every flight is cancelled
I believe the (one?) unit at PDX to de-ice aircraft was not working. Hard to believe there is only one of these deicing vehicles at PDX, but that is what I was told.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
was listening to PDX tower for a few hours yesterday.. (well, put it on, then forgot it was on when they didn't say anything for an hour at a time..) AA pushed back an aircraft for deicing, and 20 minutes later, sent it to the runway. usair brought in and sent out an aircraft. a skywest to SLC deiced and flew. my favorite line was the controller, answering a plow driver who wanted to know if he could get a few minutes on the runway to clear a taxiway: "oh, we've got nothing going on here, the next arrival is over idaho. take your time."

on a DL-related note, i got a third-hand report of a comair flight JFK-IAH on saturday that left with 22 people on board, IDBing the rest of the full flight. winds were heavy, and it took the CR9 4 hours in the air, plus JFK taxi time.. sounds like a weight/range issue.. the third hand reporting was one of the IDB'd.. (who, with help from the second hand, was apparently one of the few to get cash compensation.. :-/ )
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta
I just heard from a friend who was traveling Atlanta to Syracuse yesterday. They were in Zone 5 for boarding. After boarding Zones 1-4, the GA announced the plane was too heavy and they would not be boarding anyone else. And the next flight to Syracuse that had any seats on Tuesday, so they were rebooked for Tuesday. They were given a hotel voucher for two nights, plus meal vouchers. They opted to just go home instead! No luggage back, of course, so they are assuming their luggage will arrive in Syracuse before they do. I have never heard of anything like this - maye there is more to the story. But the facts are that they are not in Syracuse, but at home in Atlanta!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:45 am

What's the protocol for rebooking a canceled flight?
My friend is supposed to fly out of PDX via ATL to DTW and the flight was cancelled. He called the reservation # and first CSR said that to wait for an email. He called again and got an American CSR this time. At first she was trying to rebooked, but when she saw that my friend checked in already online, there's NOTHING she could do, she said.

There's a NW direct flight PDX-DTW (DL codeshare) that's been delayed but not canceled for today. What's the chances he can get rebooked for that one?

I find this hard to believe, but I never had a flight of mine cancelled before.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Coincidentally, I had a quick trip (not a MR) scheduled to LAS on 12/19 on our new wholly-owned sister airline. Flight was cancelled and the best they could do was reschedule for 12/21. Thankfully I didn't need the miles, so I opted for the full refund. At least they called about an hour before I left for the airport. The phone agent admitted she was having a very rough day....
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Flying MEM-ATL-COS tomorrow
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by DLBeno
And it specifies the mess that is JFK during this kind of stuff...I am quite happy to not work in NYC that is for sure.

"JFK IROP – The morning operation in JFK was slowed by multiple crew rest delays and continued winter precipitation that lasted throughout the day. The steady snowfall forced lengthy ground delay programs as well as de-icing delays. As the day progressed, both inbound and outbound taxi times increased due to gate congestion and de-icing wait times. By the end of the night, there were 12 flights with out to off times over 2hrs and four with out to off times over 3hrs. Numerous flights cancelled after returning to the gate due to crews exceeding their allowable duty times. With the snowfall forecast to continue overnight, all DCI RON aircraft were taken out of the station resulting in no DCI departures until 1000/21. All hotel rooms were exhausted in JFK with an estimated 200-300 passengers remaining overnight in the terminal."

-b-
I was flying out of JFK on Satuday 12/20 on DL106 to FRA - didn't think it was supposed to be bad since the forecast called for no precipitation for Saturday. But it started snowing around 5pm or so and didn't stop until around 8 or 9pm. Even though we were all boarded around the scheduled 7:10pm departure, we couldn't push until around 10:15pm - trouble loading cargo and bags, kept reopening the doors to board additional late-connecting passengers, blocked alleyways, wait to get into the de-icing queue, etc. The crew however was fantastic and handled the situation on board beautifully - they also managed to serve the entire plane dinner on the ground and turned the AVOD PTVs on during the ground delay. We were finally airborne at around 11:10pm, 4 hours late (although strong tail winds enabled us to arrive FRA only 2 hours 45 minutes late) - at least we weren't on the JFK-TXL flight - apparently it didn't push until 2:28am (it was a scheduled 7:30pm departure) and didn't get to TXL the next day until 4:30pm (scheduled 10am arrival)!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Debatl
I just heard from a friend who was traveling Atlanta to Syracuse yesterday. They were in Zone 5 for boarding. After boarding Zones 1-4, the GA announced the plane was too heavy and they would not be boarding anyone else. And the next flight to Syracuse that had any seats on Tuesday, so they were rebooked for Tuesday. They were given a hotel voucher for two nights, plus meal vouchers. They opted to just go home instead! No luggage back, of course, so they are assuming their luggage will arrive in Syracuse before they do. I have never heard of anything like this - maye there is more to the story. But the facts are that they are not in Syracuse, but at home in Atlanta!
Someone must have packed a ton of fruitcakes in their luggage I think.

Here's my story from the 19th. The problem is that all of upstate NY is served with regional jets so there's not many spare seats ever. At the holidays they are oversold so its not likely to get on even with status on standby because there are lots of HKs awaiting seat assignment as well. SYR seems to be oversold a lot IMO (time for maybe some of those new Embraer 190s I say). I just decided instead on Friday (19th) after I couldn't get on my first standby after my flight was canceled to fly into BOS and rent a car (what a treat to not be on an RJ and upgraded after 50000 miles in the past 6 months only on CRJs). Didn't land in BOS until 1AM then didn't get my car until 2AM. With the awful weather in MA and their inability to clear roads properly I gave up once I reached Framingham and got a hotel room there. Finally made it back to SYR by 5PM on Saturday where my luggage was waiting for me.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dmk11
I find this hard to believe, but I never had a flight of mine cancelled before.
Can I hire you to come along with me when I fly?

If you travel frequently, you are a good luck charm that I want on the same plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.