Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2000, 4:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

What would you do in this upgrade situation?

I booked a ticket Manchester, UK - JFK - LAX - JFK - Manchester, UK in "Q" class. I called to upgrade the domestic portions with systemwides. I got an agent on the phone who did not know what he was doing. I check my booking on the web-site and lo and behold, the entire booking has been upgraded!

What would you do? Should I call them back and offer to be "downgraded" or let it sit until I get to the airport?

Advice please ... !!

[This message has been edited by leroy11 (edited 05-30-2000).]
Old May 30, 2000, 5:02 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Leave it alone.
I once called and asked to be upgrade using a system wide to LAX, on the same call, I asked about what to do to upgrade my wife using miles. They ended up upgrading her, even though we were not on the same flight and never took the miles.
Old May 30, 2000, 5:33 pm
Original Member

I am confused. You say you used a SYSTEMWIDE, and they upgraded you SYSTEMWIDE. Where is the issue?

Looks good to me?!
Old May 30, 2000, 6:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The issue is that "Q" fares are not eligible to be upgraded on int'l flights - only Y, B or M fares are. However, domestic portions of international intineraries booked in anything but "L" or "U" can be upgraded.
Old May 30, 2000, 9:27 pm
Original Member

I have never used my system wide upgrades(paper), but I understand you must surrender them when you checkin. Not sure though because I haven't used them, but just thought I would mention it.
Old May 30, 2000, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Just be prepared to sit in that center seat in coach in case you have a savy gate agent who catches this and decides to bump you back there when they go to print out the boarding pass. Hopefully we can get someone with gate experience from DL to comment.
Old May 31, 2000, 8:32 am

Has this happened to anyone??? I'd be curious to see how Delta handles that. If he does get kicked to the back of the bus will the new Delta slogan be:
"Delta, dont F@$% with US!"
Old May 31, 2000, 8:44 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
They can still catch you when they ask for SWU at check-in, but I certainly wish you the best!
Old May 31, 2000, 10:31 am

Good luck. Act like nothing is wrong. Don't tell the gate agent that the whole thing was confirmed in F/C. don't offer the SWU.

Play dumb.
Old May 31, 2000, 10:43 am

When you look at your itin are you booked in Z on all four segments?
Old May 31, 2000, 10:56 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
as noted by zibbler, if the tkts r booked in Z, which is a confirmed business class, u r 90% safe...
just dont volunteer any information, as someone had said earlier, play innocent...
good luck to u, things like this dont happen often...
Old May 31, 2000, 10:57 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
sorry, i meant scribbler....
Old May 31, 2000, 11:01 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Scribbler:
They are all booked in "Z" class.

I may just play it dumb, but in the UK, they're quite strict about upgrades.

Another possibility, I may just call them and tell them what happened. Perhaps (real wishful thinking) they may say our screw-up and leave it ... Unlikely I know.
Old May 31, 2000, 12:52 pm

Leo, I wouldn't worry about it. But certainly check ITN and see what the coach situation looks like (in terms of getting stuck in a middle by the lavs). It's their mistake, so in my opinion they should eat it, especially since you're GM. But in the event that you get a hassle, I would spot on offer to pay the difference between Q and M for those two segments. Chances are they won't make you. Plus, you can always change your mind when they ask for your credit card. I say this meaning that as far as you new, you had paid the upgradable fare. BTW: why are you booked in Q JFK-LAX-JFK, a K would probably have saved you the difference b/w Q and M int'l. No?

Any thoughts on whether he should check in extra early or at the last minute? I would say later rather than sooner.

But definitely don't bother alerting DL reservations as we all know they have far less lattitude than those at the airport.

It also never hurts to tuck an Above and Beyond in your ticket folder when you hand it to the agent. Even though the programs apparently been discontinued, employess still seem to appreciate the gesture.
Old May 31, 2000, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a textbook example of why Delta has and needs a tough elite commando unit, the REVENUE PROTECTION UNIT (RPU) to search out this type of rouge agent and/or passenger behavior. I suggest you do a search in the Delta forum for recent info re it.

Your kind WILL be found and properly disciplined (ie loss of nice elite status, forfeiture of nice ff miles, seated forever in middle-seat coach, something re eldest male child, etc).

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

ps: as for the suggestion; ".....never hurts to tuck an Above and Beyond in your ticket folder when you hand it to the agent....", well, this is expressly forbidden by the FAA, DOJ, INS, IRS, NATO and Delta's own ......"You Gotta Spend Cause We Never Bend" policy. <GRIN>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.