Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Relax, the passengers don't "really" want to get off...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relax, the passengers don't "really" want to get off...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
This happens way too often with DL, especially at Atlanta. Surprisingly enough, I haven't experienced this too much at LGA. But then again, the luggage wait at LGA is an entirely different story.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I've had issues at JFK with slow ground staff. ATL is a frequent offender as well.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Last month at SMF. the jetway jockey couldn't get the jetway lined up. After several more tries, another guy replaced him. He was even less skilled, and bumped the side of the plane twice. A third guy finally showed up after twenty minutes and did it right the first time. Pax who could see what was going on were all laughing and didn't seem to mind the delay.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Porter2112
I realize there are actually REAL problems in the world but petty ones deserve a forum also sometimes.

Why is it that it generally takes several minutes from the time the aircraft pulls in and stops into a gate (ding) and the jetway is moved into position so the door can open? I fly Delta 98% of the time but when I have to fly Southwest, I notice that EVERY TIME Southwest has a jetway driver moving the ramp immediately after wheel stop. It's almost like their employees are all on the same team with the same goals in mind you would think. I swear people are disembarquing within 60 seconds of wheel stop on SW.

With Delta, you hear the "ding" and then the airport goes into disarray scramble mode as though no one ever expected your plane to be arriving in the first place. Delta probably knows when their planes take off so do they know that these sames planes will be landing at some point also?

I love Delta but man, SW seems to blow them away when it comes to getting people moving on and off of their planes.
This has always been an issue with DL.

I remember sitting on a plane at CVG while they spent 20 minutes looking for a jetway driver

Only thing worse is waiting on NW RJ for all gate checked bags to be out before letting anyone out of the tin can
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by Evan!
....Others might site staffing/union issues.
For what it's worth, Delta agents are not unionized.

On the other hand, Southwest Agents are unionized and represented by the IAM lodge 142.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Worst experience ever in that dept. was at CDG this past September. It took 45 minutes to find someone to drive the stairs up the NW A330. When we were due to leave a few hours later on our AF connection to MUC, they couldn't get the stairs away from the plane.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
When we were due to leave a few hours later on our AF connection to MUC, they couldn't get the stairs away from the plane.
Once deplaned out the tail of an MD-80 because they couldn't open the forward doors . . .

If I'm flying to D.C., I will continue to take the opportunity to fly through MEM - more miles, quicker turns than ATL, and BBQ to boot. These positives outweigh the aesthetics and fighting to pre-board at MEM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
Just please don't tell "the guy" handling the frequent flyer program now -- we don't want him to try and fix it and make it much worse.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
He doesn't "listen" anyway -- not to worry!
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The other day at GSO, the jetway wasn't working to get to where it needed to be for our CRJ. Fortunately, the pilot came out after a minute, asked what the problem was, and told them to move the jetway back away from the plane and we'd deplane using the stairs and walking up the jetway stairs. Big ^ to the captain there (especially since I was on a very tight schedule and was able to make an appointment by about 2 minutes...might have missed it if not for that captain making a smart executive decision).
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
This thread should be read by all those who try to assure posters that a 35 minute connection should not be problem...
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by RobertS975
This thread should be read by all those who try to assure posters that a 35 minute connection should not be problem...
True that.

I fly WN frequently and used to fly DL because they were cheaper then CO but got me CO-miles (not anymore).

Some of you might recall my "no more delta for me!" rant coming back from DEN. We reach the airport (TPA I believe - dont recall if i had a layover in ATL) and we sit there waiting and waiting after taxiing off the runway. 45 minutes in total until we finally pull into a gate.

In contrast, because of WN's confidence in their turn around, they often stack departing flights at gates. At an airport like TPA they'll have a plane unloading and loading every 30mins or so at just a few gates while many gates are empty and unused. It's once they do encounter a delay that the other gates start lighting up - and you start seeing their crews run around to get to all the flights. Even when they're having those issues they're still faster then all the other airlines i've encountered.

Keep in mind that WN is also not going to spend much time paging you if you're checked-in but at the bar. Not on the flight by the time stated? Tough, door shut, goodbye.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:33 pm

As for Southwest, this is another little advantage to having one type of aircraft. The jetway never has to be adjusted for different height aircraft and I'm sure the agents easily get in the groove of pulling up to a 737. Of course, having an agent there ready to go doesn't hurt either. One thing with Delta, the GA's have to wait for the ramp guys to give them the all clear sign before they put the jetway in motion. Oh yeah, did I mention that having an agent there ready to go doesn't hurt either?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
INteresting... I think the longest wait I've ever had was maybe 4 minutes after the chimes.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
This has always been an issue with DL.

Only thing worse is waiting on NW RJ for all gate checked bags to be out before letting anyone out of the tin can
I will say I also find DL to be VERY slow getting the jet bridge to the gate. And, as has been pointed out, they simply don't have enough staff if ANYTHING happens (late or early, both screw the system).

As to NW, I have never found them to ask people to wait on baggage, even gate checked. Usually, in my experience, they open the door, people without bags can go....it just those of us who are waiting on bags that are waiting a couple more forevers.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.