Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

to the mileage runner who tried to get 30 suv from budget in SEA on 10/3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Hi, it was very nice to talk to you that night (about budget, permutation bid, etc.). I meant to post this under
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861953
but just want to make sure you see it.
Today when I went to get my suv, the agent said "how many miles are you going to get with this rental? I know there is a big promotion we have with delta. yesterday someone came in, guess what?"
I said you attemped to get 30 suvs, and he was very surprised that I knew about what you did. we chatted a bit and he described you as "a very nice guy".
he said budget is responsible for the promotion and they are paying for the miles. so if they let you rent all the suvs, they had to pay big to delta.
therefore, the impression I got was it's budget that's putting up all these crazy promotions this year, unless delta asked it to do so and gives budget a deep discount in buying the miles.
anyway it was very nice to talk to you and wish you've had a nice trip back home, while the ladies enjoyed their trip.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
LOL!!! That made my morning.

I'm not one to take advantage of all these kinds of promotions, but how the heck do you rent 30 cars at once? Or do you just sign one out, drive it around the block and check it back in, rince and repeat?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:37 am

well - question is - did he succeed?? he is my hero if he did.. my friend is trying this for me next friday..... all in SUV cost of $25.... keeping my finger crossed that they let her rent more than 1... if they let her do 30 -- wow......
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking Are people finding SUV rates like this elsewhere?

Dayam, I wish I'd seen the 8,000 promotion and this rate before my recent SEA trip. Well, got the other bonus a couple of times. Are people finding the SUV rate to be like this elsewhere?

An irony I see is that, picking up on recent promos via the "rinse and repeat" m.o., I'm seeing the lots HEAVY with SUVs, and I'm almost always offered one at the Economy rate I booked. (Sometimes it's: "There's a wait for economy cars, but I have a Trailblazer available immediately".) I usually decline for the obvious reason.

...Demonstrating once again that the rental companies are dumping grounds for the models that aren't selling.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bomaab
well - question is - did he succeed?? he is my hero if he did.. my friend is trying this for me next friday..... all in SUV cost of $25.... keeping my finger crossed that they let her rent more than 1... if they let her do 30 -- wow......
well--I think it's up the heroic gentelman to decide whether to tell his story or not--I am putting up just enough information so he would know I am referring to him.
after all, I would totally agree with the budget agent--that he is a very nice guy.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Firewind
...Demonstrating once again that the rental companies are dumping grounds for the models that aren't selling.
Yep - Several times outside the budget gate at CVG in the mornings when I've been going on my Fri/Sat/Sun SUV rental runs there have been semis unloading new cars (dealer stickers still attached) - mostly SUV's. Unfortunately I've been unable to snag a brand new one yet.....
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Prisoner #347921
Originally Posted by Firewind
Are people finding the SUV rate to be like this elsewhere?

I wish. I'm finding SUV rates to be more than double that in my area.......
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by bearcat74
Yep - Several times outside the budget gate at CVG in the mornings when I've been going on my Fri/Sat/Sun SUV rental runs there have been semis unloading new cars (dealer stickers still attached) - mostly SUV's.
Budget has probably noticed a "recent marked increase in SUV rentals, particularly on weekends" . . .

Originally Posted by const88
I wish. I'm finding SUV rates to be more than double that in my area.......
At BNA, we're talking over $68 each weekend for a one-day Ford Escape rental - not worth my drive and paying for airport parking (I do live an hour away).
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by smallfox
he said budget is responsible for the promotion and they are paying for the miles. so if they let you rent all the suvs, they had to pay big to delta.
therefore, the impression I got was it's budget that's putting up all these crazy promotions this year, unless delta asked it to do so and gives budget a deep discount in buying the miles.
My best guess is that Budget buys the miles in bulk and they have a set expiration date, likely 12/31/08 in this case. Budget has to award the miles to customers before then or the miles expire. Budget probably realized a short time ago that they purchased more miles than needed to satisfy anticipated rentals through the end of the year. Since the cost of the miles is already sunk, they can afford crazy promos like these to drive revenue at no additional cost (unless the promo stimulates rental demand more than expected).
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by bomaab
Um, 30 cars at $25 each.... $750?! Why?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Am I still in Flyertalk? Do you need to ask why?

30 cars X $25 = $750 = 240k miles = 2 BizE tix to Asia. Sounds like a deal to me!!!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Because it's 225,000 miles for $750... That's not too shabby if you're looking for a cheap way to get a small family to Europe on award travel.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
F class SUV at SEA last weekend was $12.99 with USAA BCD
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by tkey75
Am I still in Flyertalk? Do you need to ask why?

30 cars X $25 = $750 = 240k miles = 2 BizE tix to Asia. Sounds like a deal to me!!!
Wow, I didn't realize it was 8000 per. Damn, that's nice.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
F class SUV at SEA last weekend was $12.99 with USAA BCD
Whats the USAA BCD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.